[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Better overlay linker needed

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (08/29/88)

I'm doing a lot of Clipper work these days, and desparately need a
better (faster) overlay linker than PLink86.  I've noticed a three- or
four-fold decrease in link times moving each from PLink86 to MSLink to
Turbo Link.  I need overlays, but can't afford to hurt my productivity.
I am not aware that MSLink does overlays (am I hideously in error here?)
or that there are any obvious competitors to PLink86.  What's the deal?

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

egs@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Schnoebelen) (08/31/88)

In article <1384@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
 (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>I'm doing a lot of Clipper work these days, and desparately need a
>better (faster) overlay linker than PLink86.  I've noticed a three- or
>four-fold decrease in link times moving each from PLink86 to MSLink to
>Turbo Link.  I need overlays, but can't afford to hurt my productivity.
>I am not aware that MSLink does overlays (am I hideously in error here?)
>or that there are any obvious competitors to PLink86.  What's the deal?

	MS-Link Version 3.06 and up suppors overlay linking, and loudly
proclaim such in their advertisement at startup.  The only problem is that
Microsoft doesn't include an overlay management library with the compilers
they ship this linker with. ( Like Plink86's overlay.lib )
	I received a copy of this liker with QuickBASIC 2.0, and with
MSC 4.0, and it is probably being shipped with other language products.
	Turbo's link program doesn't support overlays in any way shape or
form.  Too bad..

	just my $.02,

		Eric Schnoebelen
		John W. Bridges & Associates, Inc.
		Lewisville, Tx
		u-word!egs@killer.dallas.tx.us

( a Cyclone in Longhorn/Mustang country )