[comp.sys.ibm.pc] need help with xenix Kermit to PC procomm

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/16/88)

i'm finding it impossible to download files from a xenix system
with a trailblazer to my lowly PC running procomm with a 2400 baud
hayes clone.

when i just try to capture files that i 'cat' from xenix, things
get horribly jumbled after a screenful or so -- and the rest of
the file never gets to my screen or log file.

also -- i can't get kermit on xenix to send anything to the kermit
inside procomm.  any clues would be appreciated.  as of now, i have
no way to download data at all...

(sorry about that anti-DOS tirade a few days ago.
 sometimes DOS just gets to me.
 crutches aren't fun, but they can be necessary.)

cck@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/16/88)

In article <1668@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Elias) writes:

>also -- i can't get kermit on xenix to send anything to the kermit
>inside procomm.  any clues would be appreciated.  as of now, i have

Try mark or space parity.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (08/17/88)

:
:when i just try to capture files that i 'cat' from xenix, things
:get horribly jumbled after a screenful or so -- and the rest of
:the file never gets to my screen or log file.
:
:also -- i can't get kermit on xenix to send anything to the kermit
:inside procomm.  any clues would be appreciated.  as of now, i have
:no way to download data at all...

If you can't download files from Unix/Xenix Kermit to Procomm, either
the TrailBlazer is too fast for Procomm or you have a mismatch of Kermit
dialects.  ZCOMM and Pro-YAM resolve this automatically when commencing
automatic downloads with Kermit, but you'll have to experiment with
other programs to find the magic combination that works.

If you do get Kermit working between Xenix and Procomm, you may still
want for the speed and flexibility of ZMODEM, supported by the
P.D. Unix/Xenix rz/sz programs and DSZ, ZCOMM, or Pro-YAM on the DOS side.

Robert_P_Rubendunst@cup.portal.com (08/30/88)

Try setting either (or both) Kermit's BLOCKCHECK setting to 1 byte.
Some C sources for Kermit don't handle 2 byte (maybe 3 byte) checksums
if no parity is selected. Procomm has a setup menu , the other Kermit
should allow SET BLOCKCHECK 1 or SET BLOCK_CHECK 1. That may get the frog
sending those files for you.

Bob Rubendunst, Soft Machines (217) 351-7199

terry@wsccs.UUCP (Every system needs one) (08/31/88)

In article <705@omen.UUCP>, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
> In article <1668@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Elias) writes:
> :i'm finding it impossible to download files from a xenix system
> :with a trailblazer to my lowly PC running procomm with a 2400 baud
> :hayes clone.

First of all you have several problems if the Trailblazer is configured
as shipped.  Here is a list of things to do to the Trailblazer:

	1) Turn off XON/XOFF flow control from the modem to the
	   computer.  This is not negotiable.

	2) Turn off XON/XOFF flow control from the modem to the
	   phone line.  This, also, is not negotiable.

	3) Do not lock the modem speed between the modem and the
	   computer.  Since you no longer have flow control, you
	   must have the modems the same speed to be guaranteed
	   to not lose characters unless you modem buffers exceed
	   your Xenix buffers (Xenix buffers are 128 bytes).

Note that these could also be a problem with any regular modem over
1200 baud.

Here is a list of things to do to your Xenix.  They fall into two
categories:

1) Port settings when using inferior software:

If you are using stupid software, it will not set the port to 8
data bits, no parity, and one stopbit.  This is a bummer when
using ANY 8 bit protocol (Xmodem, TERM, UUCP).  You must perform
the appropriate stty before running the software, or better yet,
put it in a shell script around it, saving the old modes; better
still, buy good software.  Programs like UUCP, TERM, and Pro-YAM
do not have this problem.

2) things to do if you have a multi-port serial board:

If you are running Xenix 2.1.3 or below, make sure that you are
running the correct drivers for that version of Xenix.  The size
of the clist structs changes between revision 2.1.3 and 2.2.0 of
Xenix.  Multiport boards with new drivers running on old Xenix will
not work correctly on saturated data-input channels (such as is
seen during file transfer) or vice-versa (old driver on new system).

If you are running an anvil systems board, you can not turn off
XON/XOFF at the board level.  Use another port on a different device.

If you are using a Computone (old model) you must modify the /atx/attype
file.  Set the port to 8 BITS NONE.  Get rid of XON, FIXPAR, and NOCHANGE.

If you are using an Intellicom (Computone, new model), you have to get
rid of the stuff for the port you are using for communication in the
/etc/iccontrol file.  Contrary to the documentation, things set on
ttyi0 effect ttym0, ttyi1 effect ttym1, etc.  This includes intelliview,
intellikeys, etc.

The easiest soloution is to simply use a built-in serial port.

> :
> :when i just try to capture files that i 'cat' from xenix, things
> :get horribly jumbled after a screenful or so -- and the rest of
> :the file never gets to my screen or log file.
> :
> :also -- i can't get kermit on xenix to send anything to the kermit
> :inside procomm.  any clues would be appreciated.  as of now, i have
> :no way to download data at all...

The 'cat' command fails either due to an unlocked baud rate on your
telebit or the fact that Procomm has too small a buffer (it uses the
bios rather than talking directly to the chip like a reasonable
program.

> If you can't download files from Unix/Xenix Kermit to Procomm, either
> the TrailBlazer is too fast for Procomm or you have a mismatch of Kermit
> dialects.

Or you have parity set to 7 e 1 (the default on the Xenix system) and
Procomm incorrectly sets itself to 8 n 1 for all transfers.  The answer
is to use the correct parity and a good program on the DOS end.

Note also that the Kermit EOL character should be a linefeed, not a carriage
return (the DOS default) if the dialect of Kermit you have cares about
line turnaround.

> ZCOMM and Pro-YAM resolve this automatically when commencing
> automatic downloads with Kermit, but you'll have to experiment with
> other programs to find the magic combination that works.
>
> If you do get Kermit working between Xenix and Procomm, you may still
> want for the speed and flexibility of ZMODEM, supported by the
> P.D. Unix/Xenix rz/sz programs and DSZ, ZCOMM, or Pro-YAM on the DOS side.

Well, I guess I should plug us too, huh?

Naaaaawwww.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
|                   'I have an eight user poetic liscence' - me               |