[comp.sys.ibm.pc] QEMM, and DesqVIEW, and PC-NFS, and findings...

lupin3@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (08/31/88)

+-In article <339@octopus.UUCP>, pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) wrote:-

| 2) 386max is somewhat better than QEMM. It uses less of the 640K space. It
| 	is better at giving back your upper DOS memory. It has nice
| 	extra status reports to tell you what is happening with all of
| 	your RAM (where is ROM? what is my EMS RAM being used for? What is
| 	my upper DOS ram used for? How fast are the different memory chips
| 	I've got? Etc...).
+----------

  According to the docs for QEMM, it takes 1.5k of your 640k space.  How much
less could 386ToTheMax take?  It's been a while since I ran 386ToTheMax (more
on that later) but I remember that while their display was cooler looking,
it isn't any more informative.

+----------
| 3) Quarterdeck doesn't like Qualitas. They keep trying to make Desqview
| 	incompatible with 386max. F'rexample, if you don't have the latest
| 	386max (2.62), it won't work with the Desqview extended memory
| 	driver (QEXT.SYS). Qualitas will send an upgrade for free.
+----------

  I dunno about that.  That is an interesting theory, but... I'll ask tomorrow
and see what Quarterdeck has to say about it.
+----------
| 4) Quarterdeck's technical support lines are so overloaded it is sick.
| 	386max is much easier to get support for.
|
|   OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
|   OOOOO \___/        UUCP: {hpda,pyramid}!octopus!pete
+----------

  That's oh so true... I've waited for 45 minutes on hold to them.  But once
you get through, you get someone really really knowlegeable.  (I was told
the reason they're always so overloaded is they get lots of STOOPID people
calling, wanting to know why their screen is locked up when they press
Ctrl-Numlock etc.)

  Now on to other stuff... I would try out using 386ToTheMax with our copy
of DesqVIEW (a beta copy of a new release, procured at the DesqVIEW API
conference), but I can't use 386ToTheMax with our 3Com 3c505 cards and their
drivers for PC-NFS.  Just plain don't work.
  Also... in the PC-NFS documentation, it states that telnet, rsh, rcp, and
ftp don't work (as of DesqVIEW 1.2.1).  Ancient history... ftp works fine,
rsh works fine, rcp probably works fine (I don't think I was using it right),
and telnet works with some restrictions.  (Restrictions like "Your machine
will crash every other time you use it..."; Telnet is about as well behaved
as a tempermental child.)
  Rsh, rcp, and ftp will work without any adjustment in a DOS window.  For
telnet, you need
	* about 200k (works for me)
	* Virtualize text/graphix NO
  This should be enough.  You can switch to other windows, but don't try and
remove telnet from memory unless you're REEEEAL careful.  I'm going to try and
talk to Sun about getting telnet to behave better.

--
 /|\ /|\   .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
| |\| |\|  .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .
|/|\|/|\|/||   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ARPA: lupin3@ucscb.ucsc.EDU
  | |/| |/|L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_) (_ || )(_)_)UUCP: *!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lupin3
   \|/ \|/ larry      /   hastings        _/   WORK: sun!acad!metaware!funkster
  MetaWare "I wish people who have trouble communicating would just shut up."\\\
IncorporateDisclaimer:[MetaWare, UCSC]->opinion!=lhastings->opinion\\\Tom Lehrer

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (08/31/88)

In article <4662@saturn.ucsc.edu> lupin3@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) writes:
>  According to the docs for QEMM, it takes 1.5k of your 640k space.  How much
>less could 386ToTheMax take?  It's been a while since I ran 386ToTheMax (more
>on that later) but I remember that while their display was cooler looking,
>it isn't any more informative.

Well, 386ToTheMax gives me 2K bigger max partition sizes than QEMM, under
otherwise identical configurations. 2K ain't much, but it doesn't hurt.
I think the difference has to do with how well the programs make upper DOS
memory available. The XDV loader seems to be able to better squeeze pieces
of DV into high memory when 386max is in use. Note that the '1.5K used by
QEMM' is just for the program itself. DesqView takes up a much bigger pile
of memory; the actual amount taken depends on how well QEMM/386max does its
job.

>+----------
>| 3) Quarterdeck doesn't like Qualitas. They keep trying to make Desqview
>| 	incompatible with 386max. F'rexample, if you don't have the latest
>| 	386max (2.62), it won't work with the Desqview extended memory
>| 	driver (QEXT.SYS). Qualitas will send an upgrade for free.
>+----------
>
>  I dunno about that.  That is an interesting theory, but... I'll ask tomorrow
>and see what Quarterdeck has to say about it.

They said '386max? Yeah, well, we all know about *them* (wink wink tone of
voice). They just aren't as good as QEMM.' [Interesting, since QEMM seems
to be picking up all the 386max features eventually, after 386max has had
them awhile. 386max not very good, but worth copying? Sounds to me like
we have a couple of software houses in hot competition with each other!
I think I like it, actually. WE win!

>  Now on to other stuff... I would try out using 386ToTheMax with our copy
>of DesqVIEW (a beta copy of a new release, procured at the DesqVIEW API
>conference), but I can't use 386ToTheMax with our 3Com 3c505 cards and their
>drivers for PC-NFS.  Just plain don't work.

Since you can tell 386max to leave any area of RAM/ROM alone, this surprises
me. Perhaps you need to use some of the command line options to customize
your installation?

I got an interesting reaction from Quarterdeck when I asked about the new
beta release: "I can't say anything about that. We have not announced any
new product. Anything you may have heard is just a rumor. I could lose my
job if I said anything." Such secretiveness about something that they
blabbed all about at their own API conference? I'd hate to have a tech
support job there. Overworked and left in the dark too.

I hope the new Desqview version lives up to its billing though. Getting
multiple full 640K partitions would be a real win!

Pete
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014