[comp.sys.ibm.pc] replacing a 8086 ??

lily@kulesat.uucp (08/19/88)

Hi,

Does anyone out there have any experience in replacing an Intel
8086 processor by another in a PC-clone (Schneider in my case).

At the local computer-store they told me that with the 8086 replaced
by a V30 (or something..) my computer would run faster, at 100%
compatibility. I use dBaseIII+ and Clipper a lot, and I am worried
that the software will have to be updated.

                      dirk.

UUCP   : kulesat!lily
BITNET : lily%kulesat.uucp@blekul60

johnson@c10sd1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. T. Johnson) (09/01/88)

In article <162@bach@kulesat.uucp> lily@kulesat.uucp writes:

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone out there have any experience in replacing an Intel
>8086 processor by another in a PC-clone (Schneider in my case).
>
>At the local computer-store they told me that with the 8086 replaced
>by a V30 (or something..) my computer would run faster, at 100%
>compatibility.

I have used a v20 for several years.  The only problem I have ever heard is
that with a PC >5 mhz you need to also replace the clock chip as well.
But this was only until the next version was available, (this was 2 years
ago and I an assuming it is now available).

As far as speed, it will run from 10-50% faster than before but this is
only for CPU intensive operations, remember that your disk is still the
slowest thing there is in the machine.

The V20/30 gets its increase in speed by using the 80186/80286 addressing
technolegy into an 8086 package, this means that address resolution is done
by hardware, not a micro program.  At least thats what I remember about it.

GO FOR IT

--
Wayne Johnson                 (Voice) 612-638-7665
NCR Comten, Inc.             (E-MAIL) W.Johnson@StPaul.NCR.COM or