[net.general] Save 50% on Long-Distance Phone Bills

mtj@ncvet.UUCP (Michael Jones) (04/04/85)

You can save up to 50% on your long-distance phone bill by using MCI Long
Distance. MCI Long Distance is a low-cost, high quality service for your
home or business.

Why use MCI?  Because MCI is the leader in low-cost long distance!
*  MCI is the first company to offer low-cost long distance service.
*  More than 2 million Americans use MCI. (More than all the other
   low-cost long distance companies combined.)
*  Over 80% of the FORTUNE 500 and over 300,000 smaller businesses
   choose MCI for their long distance company.
*  In the last 2 years alone, MCI has spent over $2 billion building the
   world's most modern network -- even more modern than AT&T's!

HERE'S WHAT MCI LONG-DISTANCE SERVICE CAN DO FOR YOU:

Is there a charge to get the MCI service?
*  Not with this offer!  Just mail in the completed special application.
*  No sign up charges. No fees. No minimums.

How much can I save?
*  Save 5% to 50% vs. AT&T rates.

When can I call?
*  Call any time and save -- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Where can I call?
*  Call any phone in any other state. In many states, you can call within
   your own state, too. PLUS save on calls to Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin
   Islands, and major calling areas in Canada.
*  MCI saves on international calls too -- call Belgium, Greece, Brazil,
   Australia, Argentina, the Democratic Republic of Germany, Algeria, Egypt,
   Cyprus, Kenya, Jordan, Qatar, South Africa, and the United Arab Emirates.
*  Coming soon -- calling to the United Kingdom and other countries.

Can I make data calls?
*  Yes! Many MCI customers use MCI's network for analog encoded (modem-
   to-modem) data links. This is a perfect MCI application.

Take advantage of these special features!
*  MCI Bonus Discount Plan -- additional savings when your calls total as
   little as $20 per month. The more you call, the more you save.
*  Save 10% vs. AT&T on long distance directory assistance.

You can take advantage of MCI's DIAL-1 Service!
*  With MCI's DIAL-1 service you simply pick up the receiver, dial "1", then
   dial the area code and phone number. DIAL-1 is available in many areas now.
   PLUS if DIAL-1 is not yet available in your area, but you sign up for it
   now, MCI will credit your first month's DIAL-1 bill for 60 FREE minutes of
   long distance calls. You may use the DIAL-1 service from both tone and dial
   phones.

Is there a charge for MCI DIAL-1 service?
*  There is no charge for MCI DIAL-1 service! No interruption of your service!
   No conversion fee! The same low-cost MCI rates apply.

Can I use MCI long-distance service when traveling?
*  YES! Just use your MCI Card! Order as many cards as you need for your
   home or office -- FREE!
*  Save 5% to 40% vs. AT&T's Calling Card.
*  MCI Card calls count toward MCI Bonus Discount Plan.

Do I need a special phone?
*  Any pushbutton "tone" phone will work with MCI. If you have a dial phone,
   and do not have DIAL-1 service, you will need a tone dialer. We have tone
   dialers for as little as $34.99. Call or write for details. Dialers are
   also available at many electronics stores.

How do I choose between the residential and commercial services?
*  MCI Residential Service -- rates lowest for those currently using less than
   $75 per month in long-distance services. Residential customers may also
   choose to have their MCI service billed directly to VISA or MasterCard.
*  MCI Commercial Service -- rates lowest for those currently using more than
   $75 per month in long-distance services. This service is available to
   all MCI customers.

Are there other MCI services?
*  Yes! The MCI ADVANTAGE -- A special service for businesses spending $150 or
   more a month on long distance. ADVANTAGE routes all long-distance calls over
   the MCI network, works with dial, tone, and office phones systems, controls
   up to 4-lines, and requires no extra digits to be dialed. MCI also provides
   WATS service.  For more information on ADVANTAGE,  WATS,  and other MCI
   services for special needs, call (919)851-7979 9am-9pm EST.

How do I start my MCI service?
*  Print out and complete the attached special Service Order.
*  Double-check each section of the Service Order. Any errors or missing
   information may result in delayed service.
*  Be sure to sign the "DIAL-1 SERVICE" part of the Service Order.  This
   allows you to receive the MCI DIAL-1 service.
*  Mail the completed form to: MCI Service, P.O. Box 37153, Raleigh, NC 27627
*  MCI will do the rest. Within 2-3 weeks, you will receive the necessary
   codes and information to begin money-saving long distance service.

                        MCI LONG DISTANCE SERVICE

       The Low-Cost, High-Quality Service for Your Home or Office

                            Sign Up Today

+------------------  M C I   S e r v i c e   O r d e r  ----------------------+
|    +----------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
|  /  CUSTOMER INFORMATION                                            0403u | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Type of service: ____ Residential  ____ Commercial  ____ Advantage      | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Customer Address: Address where service will be provided                | |
| | Name: _________________________________  Primary Phone: (____)_________ | |
| | Street Address: _______________________________________________________ | |
| | City/Town: ____________________________  State: _____  Zip Code: ______ | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Billing Address: Provide billing address only if different from above   | |
| | Name: _________________________________  Primary Phone: (____)_________ | |
| | Street Address: _______________________  City/Town: ___________________ | |
| | State: _____  Zip Code: ______  Contact Person: _______________________ | |
| | Title (If Appropriate): _______________________________________________ | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Would you like an MCI Card? ____ Yes  ____ No  If "Yes", How Many _____ | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Would you like individual Codes for each Card? ____ Yes  ____ No        | |
| +-+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
|  /  RESIDENTIAL CUSTOMERS ONLY                                            | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | MCI has the ability to post monthly billings direct to your MasterCard  | |
| | or VISA account.  If you prefer this method of billing, please provide  | |
| | the following:                                                          | |
| |                                                                         | |
| | Card Type: ____ MasterCard  ____ VISA   Card Number: _________________  | |
| | Expiration Date: ______________  Bank No. (MasterCard ONLY): _________  | |
| | Cardholder Name: _____________________________________________________  | |
| +-+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
|  /  COMMERCIAL AND ADVANTAGE CUSTOMERS ONLY                               | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Please indicate below any other telephone numbers to be serviced by MCI | |
| |               (Attach additional sheet if necessary)                    | |
| | (_____)_________  (_____)_________  (_____)_________  (_____)_________  | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | Would you like accounting codes with with your COMMERCIAL or ADVANTAGE  | |
| | service? ($5 monthly charge) ____ Yes  ____ No                          | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | If you agree to retain ADVANTAGE service for at least one year,  MCI    | |
| | will waive its $200 ADVANTAGE installation charge.  Please check the    | |
| | appropriate choice:    ____ I DO  ____ I DO NOT agree to ADVANTAGE      | |
| | service for a minimum of one year.                                      | |
| +-+-----------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
|  /  CUSTOMER AUTHORIZATION (for MCI Service and Equal Access Conversion)  | |
| +-For MCI Service---------------------------------------------------------+ |
| | I hereby authorize MCI to provide myself/or my business with long       | |
| | distance telephone service.                                             | |
| | Customer Signature: X___________________________   Date:_______________ | |
| +-For MCI DIAL-1 Service (Equal Access Conversion)------------------------+ |
| | The undersigned designates  MCI Telecommunication Corporation  as       | |
| | primary long distance carrier...And authorizes the local telephone      | |
| | company to make the connections necessary to insure that long distance  | |
| | calls be routed automatically to MCI. It is understood that there is no | |
| | installation fee or monthly charge. And when this service begins, no    | |
| | extra digits need be dialed to access the MCI network.                  | |
| | Customer Signature: X___________________________   Date:_______________ | |
| +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
+-- Mail completed form to:  MCI Service, P.O. Box 37153, Raleigh, NC 27627 --+

crm@duke.UUCP (Charlie Martin) (04/04/85)

OK, I'm usually on the liberal side of what should be allowed on the
net, but this is too much...

DON'T USE THE NET FOR COMMERCIAL ADVERTIZEMENTS!

I wouldn't be too surprized if this would get Bell-ex-Bell sites to stop
forwarding stuff for the net at all, losing us a lot of valuable
computer time that I'm sure the accountants wouldn't approve of it they
knew about it.

TRY TO THINK A LITTLE NEXT TIME, OK?
--

			Charlie Martin
			(...mcnc!duke!crm)

abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (04/12/85)

In article <136@ncvet.UUCP> mtj@ncvet.UUCP (Michael Jones) writes:

>You can save up to 50% on your long-distance phone bill by using MCI Long
>Distance. MCI Long Distance is a low-cost, high quality service for your
>home or business.
>
>Why use MCI?  Because MCI is the leader in low-cost long distance!
>*  MCI is the first company to offer low-cost long distance service.

Then follows the most blatatt, commercial use of this Net that
I have ever seen.

WHAT'S THE BIG IDEA?

Don't you know that these newsgroups are carried to countless
Arpanet sites across the country?  Can you imagine what would
happen to our access to Usenet on taxpayer-supported computers
if the wrong people saw this?  Haven't you noticed the
virtual lack of such commercial uses of Usenet, Arpanet,
CSNET, and the others?  Didn't you even wonder why?

Remember, that if you cause the Arpanet community to lose
access to Usenet, BOTH sides will be the losers.

Just whose side are you on, anyway?

Brint
	 ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
	 UUCP:  ...{decvax,cbosgd}!brl-bmd!abc

		  Dr Brinton Cooper
		  U.S. Army Ballistic Research Laboratory
		  Attn: AMXBR-SECAD (Cooper)
		  Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD  21005-5066

Offc:    301 278-6883    AV:  283-6883     FTS: 939-6883
Home:	 301-879-8927