[comp.sys.ibm.pc] ST251 28ms drive

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (08/30/88)

there are two versions of the st251 -- one has 40ms access time,
the other has 28ms access time.

how does seagate do this?  the 28ms version (mlc-1 marked on drive)
does indeed show an access time of 28ms when run through various
disk test programs.  but!  its track to track seek time seems to
be much slower than other 28ms drives.

the st251 seems much slower than other 28ms drives that i've used.
any clues, folks?  perhaps it has a slower data transfer time, too.

tissot@nicmad.UUCP (Kevin Tissot) (08/31/88)

In article <1741@spdcc.COM>, eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
> there are two versions of the st251 -- one has 40ms access time,
> the other has 28ms access time.
>
> how does seagate do this?  the 28ms version (mlc-1 marked on drive)
> does indeed show an access time of 28ms when run through various
> disk test programs.  but!  its track to track seek time seems to
> be much slower than other 28ms drives.

 Most drives in the 28ms and below range rely on voice coil actuators
for positioning the heads. Seagate is the only vendor (that I know of)
which gets this kind of speed from stepper motor drives. Seems they
do some tricky stuff to do this, which in my experience makes the
drives much more sensitive to temperature variations and mounting
configuration. Result: probably the least expensive drive in this
performance category, but you take your chances with data reliability.
The choice is up to you...

Kevin Tissot                     {ucbvax,harvard,rutgers}!uwvax!nicmad!tissot
--------------------->           {att,decvax,rolls}!nicmad!tissot

haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) (08/31/88)

In article <1741@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Elias) writes:
>the st251 seems much slower than other 28ms drives that i've used.
>any clues, folks?  perhaps it has a slower data transfer time, too.

track-to-track time includes settling time, which may be higher on
the 28ms drive.  average access time is 1/3 stroke time and only
includes one settling time.  so it is possible for the settling time
to be higher on a `faster' drive and still have a lower 1/3 stroke
time.  i suspect such a drive is slower in reality because many
small seeks would cause the settling time to become a larger and
larger factor.

the data transfer TIME is determined by the interleave factor and
controller, etc.  the data transfer RATE, which depends on the
drive logic (pete holz{man,berg} (sp) is i believe the resident disk
hardware guru around here)  is fixed by the rotational speed of
the disk and the amount of data on each track.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers-=-=-=-=-=-=
               Very Long Address: John.F.Haugh@rpp386.dallas.tx.us

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (09/02/88)

In article <383@pigs.UUCP> haugj@pigs.UUCP (Joe Bob Willie) writes:
...(pete holz{man,berg} (sp) is i believe the resident disk
...hardware guru around here)

Close!  Should have been (pete hol{zman,sberg}), and it's the "Z-man"
who is the expert.  I just good at asking questions.  :-)

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

woodman@suvax1.UUCP (David Woodman) (09/02/88)

 July 1988 Byte magazine did a review of 40meg AT drives (40ms or less)
 and the ST251 came in with a fair marking. Coretest (ver. 2.8) said
 the same thing. I am running unix (minix) on my st251, not a good idea.
 Disk intensive OS's or development will put a lot of wear into the
 stepper motor. I am going to add an st4051 which is a 40meg, voice
 coil (40ms) for the same price.  So far, so good at 8 months of use.

 David Woodman		UUCP:    ...!uw-entropy!dataio!suvax1!woodman
 Seattle University	USNail:  P.O. Box 23202, Seattle WA 98102
 			Phone:	 (206) 223-9470