[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 'Novas' NEAT

sam@soi.UUCP (Sam Lipson) (09/02/88)

	I'm looking for comments good or bad about this motherboard.
It is apparently a direct implementation of some Chips and
Technologies design.

	One of the claims they make is that they can run at full speed
(20 mHz) with 80nS rams and no wait states, 16 mHz with 100 ns rams
and no wait states.  I believe these numbers are with interleaving
turned on.

	Have you seen one work?  What do you think of it?  Where
did you get it,  how much did you pay?

		Will summarize to net if enough interest, (or to
interested parties only).

			Thanks in advance,

			Sam Lipson

		harvard!soi!sam
		soi!sam%harvard.harvard.edu

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (09/03/88)

In article <390@soi.UUCP>, sam@soi.UUCP (Sam Lipson) writes:

> 	I'm looking for comments good or bad about this motherboard.
> It is apparently a direct implementation of some Chips and
> Technologies design.
>
> 	One of the claims they make is that they can run at full speed
> (20 mHz) with 80nS rams and no wait states, 16 mHz with 100 ns rams
> and no wait states.  I believe these numbers are with interleaving
> turned on.
>

> 			Thanks in advance,
> 			Sam Lipson

I have heard unverified rumors that the NEAT chipset itself has some
little nasty in it to interfere with using many (most?) boards that
implement 8-bit memory interfaces.  That would include ALL video adapters
I am aware of in at least one mode or another (oops, except for a few
of the very high end CAD oriented boards that do not attempt to emulate
any standard graphics mode).  Anyone know more details (my info gets
filtered by rumor mills, often better than the finest whisky!).

Charles Marslett
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us