[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM Trade in value

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (09/04/88)

In article <16800352@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>Those figures seem to be about 30% higher than the actual selling
>prices for those machines, at least here in the Midwest.  IBM has
>recently announced a trade-in policy if you want to upgrade to a
>PS-2 machine.  They're allowing a little over $ 400 for the same
>PC that you list as being worth nearly $ 800.

I hope you aren't taking the IBM trade-in values as the "actual selling
prices" of these machines. By all reports, the IBM trade in program is
essentially unused. There was a lot of interest, a lot of inquiries,
but almost nobody used it. I think the overall report was something
like 1-3% of the expected response (i.e., they expected X number of
tradeins, but only got a fraction of that). The places where the
tradein program worked well at all were where the dealers upped the
ante to the true tradein value.

IBM obviously has a vested interest in lowering the market value of the
traditional PC and AT machines. Few people actually believe that their
idea of a PC/AT's value is realistic. The major effect of the tradein
program has been that the whole used PC market is now 'legitematized'.

This is kind of a summary of articles over the last several weeks in
Computer Reseller News and other dealer-oriented magazines. These mags
are hardly anti-IBM by the way: they cater to the big chains, etc.

Pete
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014