[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NEC laptops

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (09/04/88)

    I've been seeing some good deals on NEC laptops recently. Is the
original Multispeed (no backlite) being phased out ?  And what are the
differences between the Multispeed EL and Multispeed EL2 ?  Thanks.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (09/04/88)

In article <624@wa3wbu.UUCP> john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    I've been seeing some good deals on NEC laptops recently. Is the
>original Multispeed (no backlite) being phased out ?  And what are the
>differences between the Multispeed EL and Multispeed EL2 ?  Thanks.

I bought a NEC MultiSpeed in April of 1987, and in December spent the
$500 to have it upgraded to an EL model.  I don't know if the original
is discontinued.  The screen wasn't very readable, so I would advise
against it.

The EL2 has a brighter screen with greater contrast than the EL back
lighted screen (which is fairly adequate, but not as bright as the
Zenith screens).  The case also seems different.  Unless they have made
other changes for the EL, you cannot have a math chip, additional memory
or a hard disk.

--
Frank Burleigh/ Dept. of Sociology/Indiana University, Bloomington, IN  47405
USENET: ...rutger4!iuvax!silver!burleigh      812/333-7082, 335-4127