[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Screen Border Color using EGA card ??????

draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Dave Draper) (08/30/88)

	I am having problems setting the screen border color
	on my pc clone. I am using a Paradise Autoswitch
	EGA 480 display adapter. I used the following debug
	script.

        -------------

	a 100
	mov al,01  	; second number controls the color
	mov dx,03d9
	out dx,al
	nop

	r cx
	31
	n border.com

	-------------

	The code only works if the card is in CGA
	mode. It DOES NOT work in EGA mode.

	I then tried the following C code.

	--------------

	#include "dos.h"
	#define SETPAL 0x0b	/*"set color palette" service*/
	#define VIDEO 0x10	/*video BIOS interrupt number*/

	main (argc,argv)
	int argc;
	char *argv[];
	{
		union REGS regs;
		int pal;

		if (argc != 2) {
			printf("Usage error.");
			exit ();
		}
		pal = atoi(argv[1]);
		regs.h.bh = 0;		/*set BH =0*/
		regs.h.bl = pal;	/*color of background - from user*/
		regs.h.al = SETPAL;	/*service # in AH register*/
		int86(VIDEO, &regs, &regs); 	/*call video interrupt*/
	}

	--------------

	This code worked if the card was in either EGA/CGA graphics mode
	and if the card was in CGA text mode however it did not work in
	EGA text mode.

	Does anybody know how to set the border color in EGA text modes?
	Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

	Thanks ahead of time.

	Dave Draper

       Reality is for people who can't deal with soc.singles!

            Don't DUKE it out in '88  ...  Lick BUSH !!!

  Dave Draper
  UUCP: decvax!elrond!bu-tyng!draper
  Boston University Corporate Education Center
  72 Tyng Road
  Tyngsboro   MA  01879
  649-9731 x14

stoppani@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Peter Stoppani) (08/30/88)

> / hpcupt1:comp.sys.ibm.pc / draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Dave Draper) / 11:16 am  Aug 29, 1988 /
>
>  I am having problems setting the screen border color
>  on my pc clone. I am using a Paradise Autoswitch
>  EGA 480 display adapter. I used the following debug
>  script.
>
>  This code worked if the card was in either EGA/CGA graphics mode
>  and if the card was in CGA text mode however it did not work in
>  EGA text mode.
>
>  Does anybody know how to set the border color in EGA text modes?
>  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

According to the Norton Utilities documentation of the Screen Attributes
utility, EGA cards generate borderless displays, so it is impossible to set
the color of the border when you are in EGA text mode.

                                   -- Pete Stoppani

Sorceress@cup.portal.com (08/31/88)

Sorry mate, but you are out of luck. The EGA card does not support a border
color like the CGA does.

pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) (09/05/88)

In article <5930014@hpcupt1.HP.COM>, stoppani@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Peter Stoppani) writes:
> > / hpcupt1:comp.sys.ibm.pc / draper@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Dave Draper) / 11:16 am  Aug 29, 1988 /
[Stuff deleted]
> According to the Norton Utilities documentation of the Screen Attributes
> utility, EGA cards generate borderless displays, so it is impossible to set
> the color of the border when you are in EGA text mode.
>
>                                    -- Pete Stoppani

My Freinds, this is wrong.
PC-Magazine wrote a cutezy little program to set EGA borders (about 20 debug
lines).  My personal apologies for not having the mag #/program, but I'm at
school and don't have my magazines with me.

EGA does deliver borders, but in a wEiRd sort of way.  You don't get the FULL
border like on a CGA, but the strips between the first character/last
character, and the display edge.  On my monitor, I got 2 vertical stripes on
the left/right of my text, and by playing with vertical size, I got top and
bottom too.  It's kinda like having a black border around a color border
around your text.

my 2 Pfennigs worth.
|Barrett Kreiner     UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!pervect |
| Ball State U. Muncie, IN  | "I'll tell ya kid, the main problem with      |
|---------------------------| Pervish food is keeping the goo from crawling |
| out of the bowl while you're eating it"|  TOON: THE game for modern times |
| Disclamer: "I don't know them!  I'm a student, nobody listens to ME!"     |