[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: Bizarre hard disk problem

viggo@freja.dk (Allan Kim Schougaard) (08/30/88)

ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM writes:

>I ran into a similar problem here at work ...

>We were able to boot fine off of the hard disk (CDC disk on a WYSE AT) until
>we added (and ran) some shareware programs that we had received from one of
>those mail order shareware distribution places).  At that point, similar
>simptoms ... no booting off of the hard disk ... just floppy, but C: is still
>accessible after floppy boot.

>The problem went away after a low level format ... but the real cause was never
>found.  I was never able to find the cause of the problem, or for that matter
>understand what can happen to a hard disk that will not allow it to be
>bootable (tried sys c:, high level formats ...) without a low level format.

>Leo Hinds

The thing that happend was that the programme changed the info
in the partitiontable so that the dos-partition was not active.
The problem could most likely have been cured by FDISK.

                        Viggo at DIKU

ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (09/06/88)

>The thing that happend was that the programme changed the info
>in the partitiontable so that the dos-partition was not active.
>The problem could most likely have been cured by FDISK.
>
>                        Viggo at DIKU

Not quite ... using FDISK, the partition was checked ... and everything was
kosher ...

leo hinds