[comp.sys.ibm.pc] A good place to do business

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/27/88)

  I have seen so many reports of bad mail order places in this forum
that I would like to share a pleasant experience with you.

  About a month ago I needed more disk on my home system and decided to
try an RLL controller rather than new drives. I ordered a Perstor PS180
controller from Columbus Micro. They were expecting a new shipment in
any day so I placed an order. A few days later they called to assure me
that they had the shipment and my unit had gone out.

  When I got the unit, I found that it is not a direct replacement for
an AT controller. I got a floppy only controller and was able to run DOS
without problems. The controller gives 31 sectors per track, rather than
the 26 normally found with RLL controllers.

  I was unable to run Xenix, and called back. Although their literature
showed that Xenix was supported, they gave me a number at the Perstor
factory where more info was available. I got a very knowlegable person
on the first try, and she explained that there was a model coming out
which was a complete replacement for the AT controller, and that the
literature had gone out to the dealers. The unit was ready but was
waiting for the documentation to be printed.

  I called Columbus Micro back and they imediately offered to give me a
refund, or to apply the price I paid against the new controller. I
decided to take the refund, and eight days after I shipped the
controller I got the check. Since I needed a controller right away I
ordered an Adaptek, which is solving my problem for the moment.

  Columbus Micro was helpful and responsive, and I find no fault in
their not having tried every model with all operating systems. Although
I picked their name out of the back of PC Week, I will do business with
them again based on my good experience. I would also try another Perstor
when I configure a system again, having found the controller to be
entirely reliable and the tech support helpful.

	Columbus Micro Systems
	2829B East Dublin Granville Rd
	Columbus Ohio 43229
	(614) 794-1981
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (08/29/88)

Thanks for posting that about Columbus Micro.  We mail order customers
need to have feedback of both kinds avoid the different vendors.

I understand that PC Connection is also highly reliable.

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (08/30/88)

In article <790@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

> I understand that PC Connection is also highly reliable.

I have dealt with PC Connections for three years.  Always
courteous, helpful and ships as promised.

Another mail order house (hardware) I have found very
reliable is Elektek in Chicago.  They have even sent
me rebate checks when their quoted price changed between
the order date and the ship date.
  Forrest Gehrke

markd@proxftl.UUCP (Mark Davidson) (08/30/88)

In article <790@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>Thanks for posting that about Columbus Micro.  We mail order customers
>need to have feedback of both kinds avoid the different vendors.
>
>I understand that PC Connection is also highly reliable.
I have ordered several times from PC Connection and have always received
helpful advice and quick, reliable service.  They have always been able to
accurately tell me if something is in stock, when it will arrive, etc, etc.
One time, I needed the number for Western Digital's Tech Support line and
I didn't have it.  It was an 800 number and the telephone company couldn't
help me find out what it was.  So, on a whim, I called PC Connection.  I
flat out told them I didn't want to buy anything, but since they sold hard
drives, did they happen to have Western Digital's number?  The nice person
one the phone went and looked it up for me and gave it to me over the phone.
I consider that service.
--
---
  In real life: Mark E. Davidson       uflorida!novavax!proxftl!markd

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (08/31/88)

I recently called PC Connection for pricing on several different items.
I also had technical questions on each of these items.  If the sales
rep couldn't answer it he immediaely gave me the manufacturers'
phone number (usually an 800 number) so I could inquire further.
This was extremely helpful and save much time.

Michael R. Volow                   919 286 0411, page beeper #550
Dept. of Psychiatry                mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP
Durham Vet Admin Medical Center
Durham, N.C. 27705

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (09/03/88)

In article <32259@clyde.ATT.COM> feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) writes:

>Another mail order house (hardware) I have found very
>reliable is Elektek in Chicago.  They have even sent
>me rebate checks when their quoted price changed between
>the order date and the ship date.

One thing to note about ElekTek -- they are completely, 100%, no exceptions
_all sales are final_ -- even at their store location in Chicago itself!
They will exchange within 3 working days on defective product (some items 30
days) -- but will not issue credits or refunds under any circumstances, nor
allow substitutions.  This rule is held to even for commercial open accounts!

This prompts us (we do business with them at their store occasionally) to
open all containers in the store before accepting them.

Just one point you should be aware of.

--
Karl Denninger (ddsw1!karl) Data: (312) 566-8912, Voice: (312) 566-8910
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.    "Quality solutions at a fair price"

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (09/05/88)

In article <1634@ddsw1.UUCP>, karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) wrote:

> One thing to note about ElekTek -- they are completely, 100%, no exceptions
> _all sales are final_ -- even at their store location in Chicago itself!
> They will exchange within 3 working days on defective product (some items 30
> days) -- but will not issue credits or refunds under any circumstances, nor
> allow substitutions.  [...]

Call your local BBB and check the rules.  There is this thing called
the UCC in all states (except maybe Louisiana) that does not permit
such vicious all-sales-are-final policies.  In particular, there are
implied warranties of merchantability that require that the product
sold work for the advertised application.  The equivalent implied
warranty from the manufacturer is called "fitness".  If a store
doesn't want to honor the warranty of merchantability, that's fraud
and cause for criminal action by the state (it's harder than that of
course, but it's election time so you might get the prosecutor to do
something).

One thing to beware of are the words "as is".  *>NEVER<* buy anything
on an as-is basis: you pretty much lose all UCC protection.  I haven't
seen much of this in computers yet, but a lot of sleazy used car
dealers try to sell on an as-is basis.  Whenever someone tries to sell
you *>anything<* on an as-is basis, ask them why they don't think it
works, because that's exactly why they are selling as-is.

> [...] (we do business with them at their store occasionally)

I am hard pressed to imagine why.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

ward@chinet.UUCP (Ward Christensen) (09/05/88)

Re: the "don't buy at Elek-Tek" general theme of previous items, and
specifically, their "no-returns" policy: I am "friends" with the owner,
(he calls CBBS/Chicago to solicit feedback on ElekTek).
  I will pass your comments along to him, and see what he says.  I have
bought many things there (most recently an HP Desk Jet, which I love).
  I admit I've never tried returning anything.  I'll check it out.

amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) (09/06/88)

I have had good results with CompuAdd in Houston,
and also PC connection in New Hampshire or some such place.

--
amlovell@phoenix.princeton.edu     ...since 1963.

New, improved signature file!  78% less asinine!

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke) (09/06/88)

In article <6504@chinet.UUCP>, ward@chinet.UUCP (Ward Christensen) writes:
> Re: the "don't buy at Elek-Tek" general theme of previous items, and
> specifically, their "no-returns" policy: I am "friends" with the owner,
> (he calls CBBS/Chicago to solicit feedback on ElekTek).
>   I will pass your comments along to him, and see what he says.  I have
> bought many things there (most recently an HP Desk Jet, which I love).
>   I admit I've never tried returning anything.  I'll check it out.

I have never had to return anything due to failures but I have
returned items that turned out not to meet my expectations and
upgraded to a more expensive item.  They never mentioned any
"no returns-that's final" policy to me.

   Forrest Gehrke