[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anyone know about Turbo C 2.0, Turbo ASM and debugger?

mike@mfgfoc.UUCP (Mike Thompson) (09/03/88)

Hello,

I am looking for information regarding the release dates of Turbo C 2.0
and Turbo Assembler (TASM I think).  I remember hearing rumors that these
products will be released soon, but I have not heard anything recently.
Also, does anyone have information regarding the features of TASM and
what features will be added to Turbo C.  A debugger is also rummored to
be released soon.  I already have Turbo C 1.5 and hope that a reasonable
upgrade offer is available.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Thompson

Michael P. Thompson                      FOCUS Semiconductor Systems, Inc.
net: (sun!daver!mfgfoc!engfoc!mike)      570 Maude Court
att: (408) 738-0600 ext 370              Sunnyvale, CA  94086 USA

bill@iccdev.UUCP (Bill Gaines) (09/05/88)

In article <405@mfgfoc.UUCP> mike@mfgfoc.UUCP (Mike Thompson) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I am looking for information regarding the release dates of Turbo C 2.0
>and Turbo Assembler (TASM I think).  I remember hearing rumors that these
>products will be released soon, but I have not heard anything recently.
>Also, does anyone have information regarding the features of TASM and
>what features will be added to Turbo C.  A debugger is also rummored to
>be released soon.  I already have Turbo C 1.5 and hope that a reasonable
>upgrade offer is available.

Here is all of the scoop from the Borland SIGs on Compuserve.

August 29, 1988 --  BORLAND ANNOUNCES NEW DEBUGGER,
ASSEMBLER, TURBO PROFESSIONAL SERIES, AND LANGUAGE UPGRADES
  SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. -- Borland International, Inc. today
  announced a series of new developer's tools including Turbo
  Assembler & Debugger, as well as upgrades to Turbo Pascal and
  Turbo C and new Runtime Library Source packages for both of those
  products. The new and enhanced products signify Borland's
  commitment to provide a more comprehensive programming solution
  for professional developers.

New Products At a Glance
=========================
  Turbo Assembler & Debugger
  Turbo Pascal Professional
    (incl. Turbo Pascal 5.0, Turbo Assembler & Debugger)
  Turbo Pascal Runtime Library Source
  Turbo C Professional
    (incl. Turbo C 2.0, Turbo Assembler & Debugger)

Enhancements to Existing Products
=================================
  Turbo Pascal 5.0
  Turbo C 2.0
  Turbo C Runtime Library Source

      The new Turbo Assembler & Debugger includes two programs: an
  assembler several times faster than Microsoft Macro Assembler
  (MASM), and an advanced standalone debugger with source and data
  level debugging beyond the technology currently available from
  other vendors. The Turbo Assembler and Turbo Debugger are
  packaged together presenting two of the most valued tools a
  professional programmer can have.

      "Our goal is to help modernize languages and open up their
  markets as well as their applications to the growing numbers of
  microcomputer users in industry, business and education," said
  Borland chairman and CEO Philippe Kahn.  "These new language
  products will further establish us in the professional developer
  market and serve as a milestone of an exciting future for
  software design and development."

      Both Turbo Pascal 5.0 and Turbo C 2.0 feature an advanced
  integrated development environment with a built-in source level
  debugger. Now developers can design, edit, compile, debug and run
  programs within an integrated system. In addition, Turbo Pascal
  and Turbo C programmers can now use the new Turbo Debugger for
  extended debugging capabilites. The editor in Turbo Pascal and
  Turbo C now has redefineable keystrokes for more customizable
  program editing.

      Turbo Help, a RAM resident context-sensitive help system, is
  provided on disk as an added value, and can be popped up over
  other editors or programming environments, to offer the same help
  available through the Turbo languages' integrated development
  environment. Turbo Help can also be used with the command line
  version of Turbo C, or the Turbo Debugger. It offers capabilities
  that go beyond the Norton Guides, in less RAM.

      In the new Turbo Professional Series, Turbo Pascal
  Professional and Turbo C Professional each incorporate the Turbo
  Assembler & Debugger along with the new versions of Turbo Pascal
  and Turbo C. Borland also offers Runtime Library Source products
  for both Turbo Pascal and Turbo C.

Turbo Assembler & Debugger
==========================
      Turbo Assembler is proven technology. Both Quattro: The
  Professional Spreadsheet and Turbo Pascal are written with
  Borland's new assembler. Its performance averages several times
  faster than that of MASM. Ease of access to high level languages
  is a key element of Turbo Assembler, demonstrated in its
  compatibility with MASM 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1, as well as its support
  for Turbo C, Turbo Pascal and Turbo Debugger.

      Its "ideal mode" syntax option improves upon MASM syntax by
  offering refinements in two ways: improved consistency among
  commands, and stronger type-checking rules. Turbo Assembler
  offers Turbo C inline assembly support, assembles multiple source
  files, and lets programmers take full advantage of 80386
  hardware.

      Turbo Debugger offers source level debugging for Turbo
  Pascal, C and Assembler. Borland's Turbo Debugger can debug
  virtually any program of any size. This includes programs
  containing CodeView debug information and programs compiled by
  other manufacturer's language products.

      Turbo Debugger provides a number of ways to debug larger
  programs: through EMS support, remote debugging, and 80386
  capabilities. Turbo Debugger comes with a file transfer facility
  for moving programs and data between two computers via a serial
  port.

      Turbo Debugger can debug data structures associated with a
  program by browsing through various data records, inspecting
  arrays or walking through linked lists.

      The Turbo Debugger offers breakpoint technology advances
  with more control of breakpoints. Breakpoints can now be defined
  in terms of: the location in a program where a breakpoint occurs,
  the condition under which a breakpoint is triggered, the result
  of what happens when a breakpoint is triggered. No other product
  offers such extensive breakpoint capabilities.

      Debugging is made easier with point-and-shoot operation
  within Turbo Debugger's overlapping window/multiple view
  environment. Programmers can take advantage of session logging to
  track and record their activities.

Turbo Pascal 5.0
================
      Turbo Pascal 5.0 delivers built-in source level debugging,
  integrated with the interactive development environment.
  Developers can now step code, watch variables and expressions,
  evaluate and modify variables and expressions, and set
  breakpoints. Turbo Pascal also supports the standalone Turbo
  Debugger for more sophisticated debugging requirements.

      The addition of new dynamic overlay support allows
  programmers to write very large programs that run in a very
  small amount of memory. Overlay units can be loaded in and out
  of memory as they are needed so the programmer can fully
  concentrate on program debugging. Turbo Pascal takes advantage
  of EMS for the 64K edit buffer, to free up RAM for compiling
  and running programs. Smart linking strips out unused code and
  data, enabling the programmer to create smaller executable
  programs. Turbo Pascal's 80x87 floating-point emulation in
  software allows programmers to generate a floating-point
  program to run on computers with or without a math coprocessor.

      Turbo Pascal 5.0 compiles up to 34,000 lines per minute on
  a PS/2 Model 60, and produces faster executables than with the
  previous Version 4.0. New language extensions promote greater
  flexibility in program design, including procedural types and
  variables, and constant expressions. Source code to runtime
  libraries for Turbo Pascal is now available to developers.

Turbo C Version 2.0
===================
      Turbo C is proven technology.  Both Borland's Sprint: The
  Professional Word Processor, and Reflex are written in Turbo C.
  Turbo C now provides an integrated source level debugger and
  support for the Turbo Debugger. Turbo C 2.0 is an optimizing C
  compiler that supports all six memory models and has a MAKE
  facility with automatic dependency checking. Programmers can
  now move beyond a "prototyping tool" concept using the
  integrated development environment to develop and debug actual
  production quality code in any memory model. Programmers can
  also move back and forth between Turbo Debugger and the
  integrated debugger with the same executable code.

      Turbo C 2.0 improves upon compilation and linking
  performance by a 20 to 30 percent margin over Turbo C 1.5. New
  runtime library routines provide faster execution speeds as
  well, particularly for memory allocation, string manipulations,
  floating-point emulation and file I/O.

      C language extensions in Turbo C 2.0 include inline
  assembly, support for pseudo variables, long double constants
  and variables (with full 80-bit IEEE precision) and command-
  line wildcard expansion. Turbo C 2.0 also takes advantage of
  EMS. Dual monitor support allows programmers to display program
  output on one monitor while using another monitor to view their
  debugging activity.

      Both Turbo C 2.0 and Turbo Pascal 5.0 have an enhanced
  Borland Graphics Interface (BGI) with faster graphics routines
  for EGA and VGA displays. Functions for filling ellipse shapes
  have been added. Programmers can easily install third party
  graphics device drivers with Turbo C 2.0.

      Turbo Pascal 5.0, Turbo C 2.0, Turbo Pascal Professional,
  Turbo C Professional, and the Turbo Assembler & Debugger will
  ship in September, 1988. Suggested retail prices are as
  follows: Turbo Assembler & Debugger, $149.95; Turbo Pascal
  Version 5.0, $149.95; Turbo C Version 2.0, $149.95; Turbo
  Pascal Professional, $250.00; Turbo C Professional, $250.00;
  Turbo Pascal RTL Source, $150.00; Turbo C RTL Source, $150.00.

      Borland's new language products are available for DOS
  Version 2.0 or later. Plans for OS/2 and OS/2 Presentation
  Manager versions of Borland's languages will be made public in
  the first quarter of 1989. The new products are available
  through U.S. and international distributors and dealers
  carrying Borland software.  For more information, contact
  Borland, 1800 Green Hills Road, Scotts Valley, Calif., 95066.
  (408) 438-8400.

      Borland International, Inc. develops and markets
  microcomputer software products that match power with ease of
  learning and use. The company's products include languages and
  developer's tools, and business applications; among them the
  Turbo Language Series, Quattro, Sprint, Paradox and SideKick
  Plus.

Turbo Pascal, Turbo C, Turbo Assembler & Debugger, Sprint,
Quattro, Paradox and SideKick Plus are registered trademarks and
trademarks of Borland International, Inc. All other trademarks
are trademarks of their respective holders.

Contacts
========
  Robin Shepherd or Tami Casey
  Borland Public Relations
  (408) 439-1060

********** And the second one:
Update information for Turbo C registered owners
Current registered owners of Turbo C have three update options:

      1. Customers may update to the Turbo C 2.0 version for
         $49.95 plus $5.00 for shipping and handling.

      2. Update to  the Turbo C Professional Pack  which includes
         Turbo C 2.0 and the Turbo Assembler/Debugger for $99.95 plus
         $5.00 for shipping and handling.

      3.  A third  option for  registered users  of either  Turbo
          Pascal or Turbo C includes Turbo Pascal and Turbo C AND the
          Turbo Debugger/Assembler for $149.95  plus $5.00 for shipping
          and handling.)

(California  and Massachusetts  residents please  add appropriate
sales tax, International customers  please add $10.00 per product
for shipping and handling).

For more information about updates, prices, type GO BORCS at any
Compuserve prompt.  Sysops on the Borland Forums will be unable
to help you with these individual matters

For more information on the features of Turbo C 2.0, Turbo Pascal
5.0, and the Turbo Assember and Debugger, please read the press
release in the file LANG.RLS in LIB 0.

--
Bill Gaines  (...!gatech!ncrats!iccdev!bill)

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (09/07/88)

In article <405@mfgfoc.UUCP> mike@mfgfoc.UUCP (Mike Thompson) writes:
>I am looking for information regarding the release dates of Turbo C 2.0
>and Turbo Assembler (TASM I think).  I remember hearing rumors that these
>products will be released soon, but I have not heard anything recently.
>Also, does anyone have information regarding the features of TASM and
>what features will be added to Turbo C.  A debugger is also rummored to
>be released soon.  I already have Turbo C 1.5 and hope that a reasonable
>upgrade offer is available.

I am looking at the September/October 1988 issue of _Turbo Technix_ which
I have just received.  In it there are four articles:

	"Turbo Pascal 5.0: I Can See!"
	"Turbo C 2.0: The Thrill of the Hunt"
	"Turbo Debugger: The View From Within"
	"Turbo Assembler: Civilizing Machine Language"

(I know you didn't ask about Turbo Pascal, but I include it here anyway)

The titles for the Pascal and C articles refer to the major new feature
in both systems:  the new debugger is included in the integrated environ-
ment versions of each language system.

Other new features listed for Turbo Pascal 5.0:

	* Unit-based overlays with EMS support
	* Edit buffer used EMS if available
	* Private USES statements in unit IMPLEMENTATION sections
	* Word alignment for stack data items (user selectable option)
	* Software emulation of coprocessor supported
	* Expressions supported in CONST sections
	* BGI enhancements: IBM 8514 640x480 & 1024x768 modes and
	  VGA 320x200x256 modes supported.  Set RGBPalette and
	  setRGBColor functions support color management including
	  256 color modes.
	* "Smart display swapping" supported in integrated environment

Other New features listed for Turbo C:

	* Floating point emulation is faster
	* Long doubles (i.e., Intel 10 byte floats) supported
	* ssignal() and gsignal() dropped and replaced by
	  signal() and raise()
	* New .OBJ file cross-reference utiltiy
	* TLINK supports .COM for Tiny model
	* Make support Autodependencies
	* Compiles and links are 10-20 percent faster
	* Turbo editor supports EMS for edit buffer
	* Wild cards can be expanded in command line
	* Integrated envrionment supports duel monitors
	* Editor supports unindent, block indent/unindent and
	  optimal fill

In addition to the integrated debugger, Borland also offers along with
the Turbo Assembler the Turbo Debugger as a standalone system which can
debug Turbo Pascal, Turbo C or Turbo Assembler programs.  The text does
not provide a nice bullet list of features as with Pascal and C, but
the debugger appears to be quite nice with the usual breakpoint/watch-
point capabilities, source and assembly language levels, EMS support
for storing symbol tables, Virtual-86 support with 80386 systems, and
the Borland-style user interface.  There's more, but you begin to get
the idea.

The Turbo Assembler (packaged with the stand-alone Turbo Debugger) is
"fully compatible with [MASM]," fast ("assembles a 2000-line test file
in less than four seconds on a 16-mHz 80386 system (about twice as fast
MASM 5.1"), supports all '86 family processors and '87 family coproces-
sors, supports wildcard command lines (e.g., TASM *.ASM), supports as an
alternative syntax an "Ideal mode" rationalized syntax.

I have found no mention of a release date, however, there is a card for
a "Special Offer!"

	* Upgrade Turbo C or Turbo Pascal for $49.95 (each) or
	  $24.95 if purchased between July 1 and August 31, 1988
	* Upgrade Turbo C or Turbo Pascal to "Professional"
	  version (includes Turbo Assembler and Turbo Debugger)
	  for $99.95
	* Upgrade Turbo C AND Turbo Pascal to Professional
	  versions for $149.95
	* Obtain Turbo C and/or Turbo Pascal Runtime Library
	  source for $125.00 each
	* Upgrade Turbo C runtime Library source for $50.00

The descriptions sound good (promising, anyway) and I intend to upgrade.

regards, Larry
--
Who: Larry A. Shurr (...!osu-cis!apr!las or try {cbosgd,ihnp4}!cbema!las)
What: "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."