[comp.sys.ibm.pc] formatting 3.5' disks

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/07/88)

That's a tough one.  Most of the 3.5" drives I've seen ignore the extra
hole entirely.  In most cases, formatting is strictly a software option.
But some drives do read that hole, so there's no guarantee for any
particular system.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

coulter@hpclisp.HP.COM (Michael Coulter) (09/07/88)

On my system, to format a 720Kb 3.5" floppy on a 1.44Mb drive:

	format b: /N:9 /T:80

-- Michael Coulter			...ucbvax!hpda!coulter

bill@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Frolik) (09/07/88)

Depends on the hardware.  If you're using an IBM PS/2 machine, the hardware
doesn't let software find out whether the hole is there or not, so the
format program just always assumes it's a 1.44M disk unless you specify
otherwise.  To format a 720K disk in the PS/2 1.44M drive, you have to
say FORMAT A: /N:9 (9 sectors per track instead of 18).  They even put
a warning in the User's Guide telling you not to format a 720K disk in
a 1.44M drive using FORMAT defaults, and not to format a 1.44M disk as
720K using the /N:9 switch.  What this gets you is flexibility; you can
use high density disks that don't have the extra hole.  It can also make
things confusing.

In HP's Vectra CS (and probably machines from other manufacturers, too)
the hardware senses the extra hole and the BIOS recognizes what type of
media is in the drive.  In that case, you just say FORMAT A:, and if you
have a 720K disk in the drive, you get 720K; a 1.44M disk gets you 1.44M.

Bill Frolik		Hewlett-Packard
hplabs!hp-pcd!bill	Corvallis, Oregon

thaler@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Maurice Thaler) (09/08/88)

I just did the old solder iron trick last night. First I tried to
format the floppy w/ no arguments. It came back w/ BAD TRACK 0.
After the "operation", it formatted to 1.44M w/ no problems. I am
filling it w/ ARC files. To check if the floppy is degrading, all
I have to do is PKXARC /T *  it will check the contents of each file
inside the ARC to a crc on each file. If there is any damage to
the floppy, it will show up immediately. I will do this on a few
more floppies and report back if errors start creeping in. So far,
so good though.  This reminds me of the old single sided floppy days.
I very rarely found a SS/DD that did not format perfectly to DS/DD.

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (09/08/88)

In article <101000002@hpcvlx.HP.COM> bill@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Frolik) writes:

>otherwise.  To format a 720K disk in the PS/2 1.44M drive, you have to
>say FORMAT A: /N:9 (9 sectors per track instead of 18).  They even put
>a warning in the User's Guide telling you not to format a 720K disk in
>a 1.44M drive using FORMAT defaults, and not to format a 1.44M disk as
>720K using the /N:9 switch.  What this gets you is flexibility; you can

In PC/MS-DOS 3.3 the format command for a 720KB disk in a PS/2 or other
machine with a 1.44MB drive is

   FORMAT A: /N:9 /T:80

unless the hardware knows what sort of disk is in the drive, as Mr
Frolik says.  In DOS 4.0 they say you may use 720 on the format line to
get the correct formatting.

--
Frank Burleigh/ Dept. of Sociology/Indiana University, Bloomington, IN  47405
USENET: ...rutger4!iuvax!silver!burleigh      812/333-7082, 335-4127