[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Accellerator Cards

jrj@sun.uucp (Richard Jones) (09/08/88)

In article <8768@cup.portal.com> Elric-Kinslayer@cup.portal.com writes:

> Recently someone on the net wanted to know if V20/30 chips worked with
>286/386 accellerator cards in PC's. The answer to this is that it doesn't
>matter, since the Speed-Up boards have you remove the processor anyway.
>Some give you a space on the board to put your old processor, and since
>the V20/30 chips are pin/software/hardware compatible with the 8088/6
>there should be no problem with it. I have installed a Intel  Inboard
>/386 in a PC clone that had a v20 in it and had no problems.
>Matt Mosssholder
>A.K.A sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Elric-Kinslayer

I would like to know if there is a preferred 386/286 accellerator board for
use in an old 4.77MHz clone.

I am looking to replace my XT and I'm not sure which way to go.  i.e., replace
the motherboard; add an accelerator card; buy a box with an 386 in it.

Any input would be enlightening and appreciated!
- Richard

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (09/08/88)

Depends on how much you want to spend.  Cheapest by a little is to buy
an accellerator (I have a Breakthru' 286 [8 MHz] in my XT clone and I
love it!).  Next is a 286 motherboard, and most expensive is a 386
motherboard (Hauppage or Mylex have gotten good ratings).  I bought the
BT 286 a couple of years ago when the price-performance ratio favored an accellerator.

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

Elric-Kinslayer@cup.portal.com (09/09/88)

Richard, (who unfortuanately left off his last name, or my capture log
cut off for some reason) a few messages back, was asking about wether
it would be a better idea to buy a new system, or get a 386 processor board.
Well, my answer to this HAS to be to go with a new system. For one, you
KNOW it is going to work with your system board, since it IS your system board.
Secondly, you usually have longer warrenties than boards do. Another point
is that the new system would not be doing something that it wasn't designed
to do. The accelorator is pushing the limits of a pc and is more likely to
cause hardware problems, not to mention possible software incompatiblity.
So, in my eyes, the better choice of the two is the complete system upgrade.
However, for those who like DOS, don't need and processor compatiblity above
8086/8, and just plain don't have the money for a new system, a new
processor board is a good option.
Elric-Kinslayer
A.K.A. Matt Mossholder
Usenet Address:sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Elric-Kinslayer