[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Multi-Edit

rfarris@serene.CTS.COM (Rick Farris) (09/09/88)

In article <374@megatek.UUCP> hollen@spot.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) writes:
> If you really want a
> programming editor (and I mean GOOD) try Multi-Edit by American
> Cybernetics.  You can get a demo disk free by calling (602)968-1945
> and if you like what you see, get the full blown editor for $99.  As
> a programming editor it blows the doors off WP.  I am a software
> engineer and program 40 hrs. per week and whether it be PC or mainframe
> editors, I have not seen a better editor that Multi-Edit (there are
> some as good, but they only run on mainframes).

I agree, ME is a *darn* good editor.  And the demo _is_ the full blown
program, all you don't get is a manual.  Oh, and there is an opening
screen, (ala qmodem, procomm, et al) that you must wait for.

This editor has some really neat features, including a condensed mode
that collapses your code down to just the function declarations.  It's
amazingly fast.

It has a built in programmers calculator, ascii table and dos shell. The
program is full of little features  that are just plain neat.  For instance
it has the function keys labled along the bottom of the screen.  When one
presses the alt, shift, or control keys, *instantaneously* the labels change,
to reflect the altered state..

And the funniest thing about it is that it's written in Turbo Pascal 2.0!

I've been looking at ME and the other current darling of the review set, "pi",
and I prefer ME.

The only real complaint I have about it is that it uses up 5 lines of the
screen for borders and various status lines.  Still, in 43 line mode, that's
not very much.

#include <std disclaimer>
Rick Farris          |     rfarris@serene.cts.com    |   Voice  (619) 259-6793
POB M                |   <backbone>!serene!rfarris   |   BBS          259-7757
Del Mar, CA 92014    |_______________________________|   serene.UUCP  259-3704

If carpenters built buildings the way most programmers write programs,
         the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization. . .