[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Right margin limitation in WordPerfect 5

David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com (09/07/88)

Nothing like progress.  I used to change WordPerfect 4.2's right margin
to 240 for programming and the like --- some lines just can't fit onto
one screen.  In all their wisdom, WPCorp seems to have changed the rules
with WP 5.0.  The right margin is a function of the paper size, which means
no more unusually long lines are permitted.  Has anyone figured out a way
to get around this?  If not, WPCorp has alienated a huge group of people.
Time to switch to Sprint? :-)

David Buerger
dbuerger@scu.bitnet

rwolff@noao.edu (Richard Wolff) (09/08/88)

From article <8839@cup.portal.com>, by David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com:
> with WP 5.0.  The right margin is a function of the paper size, which means
> no more unusually long lines are permitted.  Has anyone figured out a way

It's a function of the point size and the paper size...switch to a point size
(and a different printer if you have to) to get the line length you want.
As long as you are just "printing" to a (DOS) file, this should work.
--
Richard Wolff, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ
Usenet:   {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!rwolff or  uunet!noao.edu!rwolff

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (09/08/88)

In article <8839@cup.portal.com> David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com writes:
[that WordPerfect 5 doesn't allow a margin wider than the dimensions of
paper.  WP 4.2 allowed margins out to 250, which was useful for
programmers.]

Go into Setup (shift-F1) and change the units of measure from inches to
columns.  Intuitively, it would seem that that would give you the longer
lines you seek.  Alternatively, get an editor designed for programming
and ASCII text.

--
Frank Burleigh/ Dept. of Sociology/Indiana University, Bloomington, IN  47405
USENET: ...rutger4!iuvax!silver!burleigh      812/333-7082, 335-4127

hollen@spot.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (09/09/88)

From article <8839@cup.portal.com>, by David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com:
> Nothing like progress.  I used to change WordPerfect 4.2's right margin
> to 240 for programming and the like --- some lines just can't fit onto
> one screen.  In all their wisdom, WPCorp seems to have changed the rules
> with WP 5.0. [...stuff deleted...]
I really don't see why one would want to use WordPerfect as a
PROGRAMMING editor.  If you are really enamored of the WP interface,
why not use their programming editor (PE)?  If you really want a
programming editor (and I mean GOOD) try Multi-Edit by American
Cybernetics.  You can get a demo disk free by calling (602)968-1945
and if you like what you see, get the full blown editor for $99.  As
a programming editor it blows the doors off WP.  I am a software
engineer and program 40 hrs. per week and whether it be PC or mainframe
editors, I have not seen a better editor that Multi-Edit (there are
some as good, but they only run on mainframes).

I have no connection with American Cybernetics other than being a VERY
satisfied customer.

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121

                                seismo!s3sun!megatek!hollen
                                ames!scubed/

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (09/09/88)

In a recent discussion of our WP user group with the traveling WPCorp
rep, we learned that WP5 saves ascii files, not only with lf/cr pairs,
but also with any tab characters that have been entered.  Would agree
that, as nice as WP5 is, other editors may be better for programming.
I seem to remember that, if you like WordPerfect commands and, they
do sell a compatible editor, though it's not well advertised.

Michael R. Volow                   919 286 0411, page beeper #550
Dept. of Psychiatry                mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP
Durham Vet Admin Medical Center
Durham, N.C. 27705

vg55611@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Gopal) (09/09/88)

In article <8839@cup.portal.com> David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com writes:
>Nothing like progress.  I used to change WordPerfect 4.2's right margin
>to 240 for programming and the like --- some lines just can't fit onto
>one screen.  In all their wisdom, WPCorp seems to have changed the rules
>with WP 5.0.  The right margin is a function of the paper size, which means
>no more unusually long lines are permitted.  Has anyone figured out a way
>to get around this?  If not, WPCorp has alienated a huge group of people.
>Time to switch to Sprint? :-)
>
>David Buerger
>dbuerger@scu.bitnet

Why not try to use a larger paper size, or, select a point size that is
small ?  The fonts and point sizes would be dependent on the printer you
select - so if your printer you selected supports only large point sizes,
choose another one (say for ex. one of the postscript printers).

I think it would have been difficult for WP to do something different
in order to accomodate proportional fonts, which WP 5.0 does very well
and WP 4.2 is terrible at.

Venu P. Gopal
att!ihuxy!vg55611

toma@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/09/88)

In article <8839@cup.portal.com> David_J_Buerger@cup.portal.com writes:
>Nothing like progress.  I used to change WordPerfect 4.2's right margin
>to 240 for programming and the like [...]
>The right margin is a function of the paper size, which means
>no more unusually long lines are permitted.  Has anyone figured out a way
>to get around this?

Go to printer select, and edit your printer description: add a new form type
that is as wide as you need.  Better yet, add a dummy printer so you can
change printers to change paper size (much faster).

Perhaps the best thing to do, though, is use either a *real* program editor,
or, if you don't want to learn a new user interface, the PE editor in
WordPerfect Library.  WordPerfect (or indeed most "word processors") are just
plain too much of a hastle to use for program editing.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) (09/10/88)

>I think it would have been difficult for WP to do something different . . .

Rather than go through this silly "Forms" nonsense for 240 columns, it
would have made more sense to allow "line length" as a selection.  As it
is, you can only change the "line length" via left and right margins or
via Forms.

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (09/12/88)

In article <7073@well.UUCP> casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) writes:

>>I think it would have been difficult for WP to do something different . . .
>
>Rather than go through this silly "Forms" nonsense for 240 columns, it
>would have made more sense to allow "line length" as a selection.  As it
>is, you can only change the "line length" via left and right margins or
>via Forms.

No, WP got this one right in 5.0.  If you think in terms of characters
per line then you have to go through all kinds of contortions if you
decide to change font sizes, not to mention using proportional fonts.
A word processor should work in terms of measurements and do the math
for you to fill the space between the margins with an appropriate amount
of text.  It would be nice if it had a simple -program mode- switch to
prevent it from doing any word wrap at all, but you should be able to
get the same effect by picking a printer with a sufficiently small font
or a wide form.

Les Mikesell