[comp.sys.ibm.pc] v20 chip

brb@akgua.ATT.COM (Brian R. Bainter) (08/23/88)

I have been contemplating the possibility of replacing my 8088 in
my XT clone with a V20 chip. Has anyone had any experience with
this chip? If so, what is the performance, compatibility, and/or
problems/good points of this chip? In other words I would like a
general opinion so I can make an intelligent evaluation.

Thanks,
--
	Brian R. Bainter   KA7TXA

 AT&T Technologies Atlanta Works
 {cbosgd, gatech, ihnp4, moss, mtune, ulysses}akgua!brb

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (08/25/88)

I had one in a clone for a while.  No problems, but the speedup was only
about 5-10%.  In retrospect. it didn;t seem worth the effort, so I went
and got a Breakthru 286 (8MHz) board, which I LOVE!  ($395)

elt@entire.UUCP (Edward L. Taychert) (08/25/88)

In article <1821@akgua.ATT.COM>, brb@akgua.ATT.COM (Brian R. Bainter) writes:
> I have been contemplating the possibility of replacing my 8088 in
> my XT clone with a V20 chip. Has anyone had any experience with
> this chip? If so, what is the performance, compatibility, and/or
> problems/good points of this chip? In other words I would like a
> general opinion so I can make an intelligent evaluation.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> 	Brian R. Bainter   KA7TXA
>
>  AT&T Technologies Atlanta Works
>  {cbosgd, gatech, ihnp4, moss, mtune, ulysses}akgua!brb

We're talking about 8 or 10 buck's rght? Buy it. My first PC clone was
from suntronics. their bios ran fligh simulator and every thing else I
ever tried. WHen I put the V20 in, it ran fine until the screen scrolled
up the first line! Then it hung! Repeatedly. I relaced the 8088 and
everything was fine. I all subsequent PC clones, the V20 worked fine.
The biggest speed up seemed to be during the power-on memory check.
Despite the claims, don't expect a lot overall. For example,
compiling 30K of source, exlapsed time was only reduced 10%. Still, the
ole PC is so slow, its worth it. Think of it as a percent per buck.
(Now if they only had a kilo-buck version .... :-)

Ed Taychert				Phone: USA (716) 381-7500
Entire Inc.				UUCP: rochester!rocksanne!entire!elt
445 E. Commercial Street
East Rochester, N.Y. 14445

dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) (08/29/88)

In article <1821@akgua.ATT.COM> brb@akgua.ATT.COM (Brian R. Bainter) writes:
>I have been contemplating the possibility of replacing my 8088 in
>my XT clone with a V20 chip. Has anyone had any experience with
>this chip? If so, what is the performance, compatibility, and/or
>problems/good points of this chip? In other words I would like a
>general opinion so I can make an intelligent evaluation.

I worked with an XT clone that had its 8088 replaced with a V20 and
had all sorts of trouble.  Most things worked fine, but every once in
a while I got an "Internal stack failure - system halted" message,
which occurs (presumably) because of the high speed of the CPU.  If
too many interrupts are generated (by the keyboard, serial port, etc.)
at close intervals, the stack just crashed andthe system had to be
re-booted (turned off & on, no CTRL-ALT-DEL).  I also know there are
incompatibilites with programs such as COPYWRIT and COPYIIPC.

>	Brian R. Bainter   KA7TXA
> AT&T Technologies Atlanta Works
> {cbosgd, gatech, ihnp4, moss, mtune, ulysses}akgua!brb

--
+/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/+
> Dani Kadoch @ Computer Science House @ Rochester Institute of Technology    <
> UUCP: {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!ritcsh!dani   BITNET: dnk8842@ritvax <
+\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\+

viggo@freja.dk (Allan Kim Schougaard) (08/30/88)

brb@akgua.ATT.COM (Brian R. Bainter) writes:

>I have been contemplating the possibility of replacing my 8088 in
>my XT clone with a V20 chip. Has anyone had any experience with
>this chip? If so, what is the performance, compatibility, and/or
>problems/good points of this chip? In other words I would like a
>general opinion so I can make an intelligent evaluation.

Abosutly NO incompabilities !!!! I have use one for over a year
and havn't had a single problem. Just plug it in and go at full
speed !!!

                        Viggo at Diku

landolt@yunccn.UUCP (J. Paul Landolt) (08/31/88)

In article <4006@ritcsh.UUCP>, dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) writes:
> I worked with an XT clone that had its 8088 replaced with a V20 and
> had all sorts of trouble.  Most things worked fine, but every once in
> a while I got an "Internal stack failure - system halted" message,
> which occurs (presumably) because of the high speed of the CPU.
> I also know there are incompatibilites with programs such as COPYWRIT
> and COPYIIPC.

I have been running my IBM xt for 3-4 years with a V-20 in it, and I have
not had a single problem.  COPYWRIT and COPYIIPC work flawlessly. (sp?)

As for its use in Turbo-XT clones (ie 8Mhz), you MUST have the 8Mhz V-20.
A friend of mine had a 4.77 in his turbo clone, and fried it (smoke and
everything!)

--
J. Paul Landolt                       | On a clear disk, you can seek
BITNET:  cs120077@yusol               | forever!

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (09/01/88)

So what's the difference between the V20 and the V30?  I think
I saw someone say that V20 == 8088 and V30 == 8086.  If so,
I should be able to drop a V30 into an XT just fine, right?

I'd also appreciate pointers to sources of V20's and V30's.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

marva@mntgfx.mentor.com (Marv Allenbrand) (09/02/88)

In article <4006@ritcsh.UUCP>, dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) writes:
> In article <1821@akgua.ATT.COM> brb@akgua.ATT.COM (Brian R. Bainter) writes:
> >I have been contemplating the possibility of replacing my 8088 in
> >my XT clone with a V20 chip. Has anyone had any experience with
> >this chip?
>
> I worked with an XT clone that had its 8088 replaced with a V20 and
> had all sorts of trouble.
> I also know there are incompatibilites with programs such as
> COPYWRIT and COPYIIPC.

I have been running a V20 in my PC clone for over two years (4.77 and 8Mhz).
I have had no problems and all my software still runs including COPYIIPC.
The speed difference isn't very noticable, but in some cases there is a small
improvement in performance.

    -Marv

--
Marv Allenbrand                        ...!tektronix!sequent!mntgfx!marva
Mentor Graphics Corp.                  marva@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (09/02/88)

In article <2048@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>So what's the difference between the V20 and the V30?  I think
>I saw someone say that V20 == 8088 and V30 == 8086.  If so,
>I should be able to drop a V30 into an XT just fine, right?

I thought the 8088 had an eight bit data path and the 8086 a 16
bit data path.  While the v30 is a drop in replacement for the
8086, I don't think it will replace an 8088.

>I'd also appreciate pointers to sources of V20's and V30's.

Almost any serious electronics parts store or half a jillion mail
order companies.

steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) (09/02/88)

in article <490@yunccn.UUCP>, landolt@yunccn.UUCP (J. Paul Landolt) says:

> As for its use in Turbo-XT clones (ie 8Mhz), you MUST have the 8Mhz V-20.
> A friend of mine had a 4.77 in his turbo clone, and fried it (smoke and
> everything!)

  I have a turbo xt clone which runs at 4.77 & 10 Mhz using the Nec
  V-20.  Of course disk i/o is still done at 4.77 but....

  I haven't had any problems except for I can't seem to get simcga
  of hgcibm to work, which could be the V-20 or the clone Herc card
  I've got.  Here's a question:  Do any of the 286/386 accellerator
  cards work with a v20?   Is it even worth my time since the disk
  io rate would still be the same?

--
 You want me to take what seriously????
 {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!dad!steve

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/03/88)

The XT has an 8088, so you'd want a V-20.  And no, you can't
necessarily just drop it in and expect everything to be fine.
Anything that depends on software timing loops is subject to
failure (and I've seen lots of machines that just wouldn't
boot for various timing problems, but worked fine if you
could get them booted).  If it WILL work in your particular
machine, you don't need to make any hardware changes.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

klotz@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Ken Dalka) (09/03/88)

> I saw someone say that V20 == 8088 and V30 == 8086.

Yes this is correct the V20 is the 8088 replacement and the
V30 is the 8086 replacement.

>      ........................................ If so,
> I should be able to drop a V30 into an XT just fine, right?

Not if it is an IBM PC/XT, These are still 8088 based machines.

--

					Dave Klotzbach
					ihnp4!ihlpl!klotz

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (09/04/88)

In article <1988Sep1.163324.870@mntgfx.mentor.com> marva@mntgfx.mentor.com (Marv Allenbrand) writes:
>In article <4006@ritcsh.UUCP>, dani@ritcsh.UUCP (Dani Kadoch) writes:
>> In article <1821@akgua.ATT.COM> brb@akgua.ATT.COM (Brian R. Bainter) writes:
>> >I have been contemplating the possibility of replacing my 8088 in
>> >my XT clone with a V20 chip. Has anyone had any experience with
>> >this chip?
>>
>> I worked with an XT clone that had its 8088 replaced with a V20 and
>> had all sorts of trouble.
>> I also know there are incompatibilites with programs such as
>> COPYWRIT and COPYIIPC.

[Marv writes that he has had no problems with a v20 in a 4.77/8MHz
machine, but improvements are pretty small.]

I had a v20 in my old IBM XT, which had been speeded up with a Fast88
card.  I never had any problems with the v20.  And especially on screen
updates and functions, I found a very definate improvement in
performance.

--
Frank Burleigh/ Dept. of Sociology/Indiana University, Bloomington, IN  47405
USENET: ...rutger4!iuvax!silver!burleigh      812/333-7082, 335-4127

Elric-Kinslayer@cup.portal.com (09/05/88)

 Recently someone on the net wanted to know if V20/30 chips worked with
286/386 accellerator cards in PC's. The answer to this is that it doesn't
matter, since the Speed-Up boards have you remove the processor anyway.
Some give you a space on the board to put your old processor, and since
the V20/30 chips are pin/software/hardware compatible with the 8088/6
there should be no problem with it. I have installed a Intel  Inboard
/386 in a PC clone that had a v20 in it and had no problems.
Matt Mosssholder
A.K.A sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Elric-Kinslayer

pechter@dasys1.UUCP (Bill Pechter) (09/05/88)

In article <2048@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
>So what's the difference between the V20 and the V30?  I think
>I saw someone say that V20 == 8088 and V30 == 8086.  If so,
>I should be able to drop a V30 into an XT just fine, right?

Wrong the 8086 and V30 have a 16 bit data bus.  The 8088 and V20 have an 8 bit
data bus.  Use the V20 for XT's and clones.  The V30's for the Amstrad, AT&T
6300, Xerox 6064 (or is it 6065) Compaq Deskpro and Olivetti M24 machines.

I got my V30 from Microprocessors Unlimited, Beggs Ok.  I can't find the phone
number but information should list them.  The service is prompt and I've never
had a problem with them.

--
Bill Pechter          {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!pechter
 USnail 103 Governors Road, Lakewood, NJ 08701

beugel@cs.vu.nl (Beugel BJ) (09/06/88)

My copies of SIMCGA and HGCIBM work flawlessly on my XT clone that had its
8088 replaced by a V20 (the 8MHz version). In fact I never had any
problems whatsoever with my V20.

Berend Jan Beugel (beugel@cs.vu.nl   via mcvax).

ejablow@dasys1.UUCP (Eric Robert Jablow) (09/08/88)

I have a V20 chip in my PC-clone; it works very well, thank you.
However, I don't have any technical info on it; the V20 has extra
machine instructions and extra arithmetic registers; presumably it
runs some of its instructions in less cycles than the 8088.
But where do I get the info?  Please email first; I'll summarize.

--
Eric Jablow                      {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Big Electric Cat Public Unix           {bellcore,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!ejablow

jpd@usl-pc.usl.edu (DugalJP) (09/12/88)

I received spec. sheets on the V20 and V30 by contacting NEC Electronics
in Mountain View, CA, phone 415-960-6000 ext. 6158.
This number could have changed; I used it several years back.
--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		USENET: ...!{dalsqnt,killer}!usl!jpd
Associate Director		Internet: jpd@usl.edu