[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Proposed IBM _Technical_ Newsgroup

wampler@unmvax.unm.edu (Bruce Wampler) (09/10/88)

I find that about 1 in 30 or so articles in comp.sys.ibm.pc has
something relevant for me - stuff about programming for PC compatibles.

All the stuff about monitors, ega cards, hard disks, etc., etc., is
worthless to me, but I must wade through it all for the occasional
worthwhile tid-bit about a MSC bug or getting around problems with
PROGRAMMING the machine.

I don't know who is responsible for such things, but it seems what
is really needed is a comp.sys.ibm.pc.programming or .tech or whatever
it should be called. Maybe if there is enough positive response, the
powers that be will create such a group and a lot of us can quit wasting
time with 30 or 40 articles a day that don't help much.

Comments???

Bruce Wampler
unmvax!wampler

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (09/10/88)

In article <1198@unmvax.unm.edu> wampler@unmvax.unm.edu (Bruce Wampler) writes:
>I don't know who is responsible for such things, but it seems what
>is really needed is a comp.sys.ibm.pc.programming or .tech or whatever
>it should be called.

I agree.  We need comp.sys.ibm.tech by analogy with
comp.sys.amiga.tech.  This newsgroup would be for truly technical
discussions.

However, note that it is not easy to confine discussion like this.  The
ideal example of this is the pair of newsgroups comp.unix.questions
(naive questions) and comp.unix.wizards (technical stuff).  People
still post indicriminately, often cross-posting to both and thus
defeating the purpose of the split.  If comp.sys.ibm.pc.tech gets
created, somebody will have to draft some guidelines for posting, post
them in the newsgroup every couple of months or so, and persuade
everybody to read them.

Since this is just the discussion stage, your opinions may be posted
here.  (When voting is done, votes are emailed, not posted.)
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

u-dmfloy%sunset.utah.edu@utah-cs.UUCP (Daniel M Floyd) (09/11/88)

I agree. There is a lot of junk. But I'd end up reading selected
articles from both groups anyway. So, I say leave it as is.
Besides, someone may post some junk you think is gold one day.

dean@violet.berkeley.edu (Dean Pentcheff) (09/11/88)

I heartily support the idea of a technical subgroup!  Someone want to
volunteer to collect votes on a formal basis?

-Dean
-----------------
Dean Pentcheff	(dean@violet.berkeley.edu)
-----------------
"A university is a place where people pay high prices for goods which they then
proceed to leave on the counter when they go out of the store."  Loren Eiseley

haugj@pigs.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (09/13/88)

In article <5719@utah-cs.UUCP> u-dmfloy%sunset.utah.edu.UUCP@utah-cs.UUCP (Daniel M Floyd) writes:
>I agree. There is a lot of junk. But I'd end up reading selected
>articles from both groups anyway. So, I say leave it as is.
>Besides, someone may post some junk you think is gold one day.

why leave it as it is?  if you want to read junk, fine.  but don't
make the rest of us read it.  with college students returning in
droves, the quality of the entire net is ready for a nose dive.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers-=-=-=-=-=-=
               Very Long Address: John.F.Haugh@rpp386.dallas.tx.us