[comp.sys.ibm.pc] serial port on PS/2

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (09/09/88)

Rather than giving our department some money which we could spend
sensibly, our dean recently bought us a PS/2 model 50 with an
extra serial board (which has 2 ports - both with db9 connectors).

We can't get the serial board to work with an AT cable.  Our theory
is that Big Blue changed the pin assignments.  Is this the case?  If
so, does anyone know the new pin assignments?  Or where we can buy a
cable?  Or do we just have a bad card?

Fred Sullivan				SUNY at Binghamton
Dept. Math. Sciences			Binghamton, NY 13903
					sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu
First you make a roux!

mason@tc.fluke.COM (Nick Mason) (09/12/88)

In article <1410@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) writes:
>We can't get the serial board to work with an AT cable.  Our theory
>is that Big Blue changed the pin assignments.  Is this the case?  If
>so, does anyone know the new pin assignments?  Or where we can buy a
>cable?  Or do we just have a bad card?

HI.

	Well, the pin assignments are not changed.  The first thing
	to check is what serial port(s) is the serial board configured
	for? On a PS/2, the serial ports are configured using the
	reference disk that came with the machine.  Note: If you have
	a PS/2 50 and the Dual async serial board you have 3 serial
	ports.  The one on the mother board (25 pin) and 2 on the
	async board (both 9 pin).  These ports can be configured
	as SERIAL_1 to SERIAL_8 (yes, 8 serial ports even though
	DOS only supports 4), in any arbitary order. .ie. the port
	on the mother board could be SERIAL_8, not SERIAL_1 as
	you would hope.  Also note that SERIAL_1 uses hardware
	interrupt level 4, and ALL OTHER SERIAL LINES SHARE
	(yes share) interrupt level 3.  This may not be compatible
	with your software.

	If the above doesn't solve your problem then you may
	have a bad board.

	GOOD LUCK.

Nick Mason/ms272G/John Fluke Mfg Co/Box C9090/Everett WA 98206 USA
   mason@tc.fluke.COM
UUCP:
 {{cornell,decvax,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver} \
{microsoft,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,sunup} - !fluke!mason
		 {ssc-vax,hplsla,wavetek,uw-vlsi,tikal} /
ARPA: fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA
BITNET: "fluke!mason@uw-beaver.ARPA"@PSUVAX1.bitnet
"Avoid the Dull and Ignorant"

dts@cloud9.UUCP (Daniel Senie) (09/13/88)

In article <1410@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) writes:
> Rather than giving our department some money which we could spend
> sensibly, our dean recently bought us a PS/2 model 50 with an
> extra serial board (which has 2 ports - both with db9 connectors).
>
> We can't get the serial board to work with an AT cable.  Our theory
> is that Big Blue changed the pin assignments.  Is this the case?  If
> so, does anyone know the new pin assignments?  Or where we can buy a
> cable?  Or do we just have a bad card?

There are two possibilities: 1. The PS/2 Model 50Z is really screwed up
when it comes to serial ports. It seems some brilliant person at IBM
decided to change where all of the I/O port mappings are or some such.

The other possibility is that you have just a regular PS/2 Mod. 50. The
Dual Async adapter from IBM for the MicroChannel is kinda wierd. Make sure
you get the right port for COM2. COM3 is virtually unusable, as the I/O
address (as shown in the BIOS in-memory tables) is 3220 Hex. Most comm
software does not understand this. I have not gone hunting to see what
interrupt they wired it to yet.

Buying from IBM seems to be getting riskier by the day...

Good Luck.

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu