[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Access to extended memory as expanded memory

xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) (09/07/88)

I have just received an Everex 20MHz '386, w/ 4MB ram.  The OS
is MS-DOS 3.3, running Windows/386.  One of the main applications
we would like to run is Excel, but as configured, Windows is unable
to do anything with the 3 meg of extended memory in the system (other
than as a ramdisk.)

The documentation for Windows and Excel indicate nothing about the
use of extended memory as expanded memory.  I am looking for a driver,
perhaps, that can simulate the LIM 3.4 specs using the extended memory
in this Everex box.  Can anybody help me (answers, pointers, etc?)

Please post responses, as I am suspicious of the mail link to our site.
Thanks for you help.

--
Bill Douglass, TCADA

"I dreamed I was to take a test,
 in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."      L. Anderson

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (09/07/88)

In article <5791@ut-emx.UUCP> xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) writes:
>The documentation for Windows and Excel indicate nothing about the
>use of extended memory as expanded memory.  I am looking for a driver,
>perhaps, that can simulate the LIM 3.4 specs using the extended memory
>in this Everex box.  Can anybody help me (answers, pointers, etc?)

On one of the Excel distribution diskettes you will find some readme
files.  One of them reviews in depth Excel's expanded and extended
memory usage.

--
Frank Burleigh/ Dept. of Sociology/Indiana University, Bloomington, IN  47405
USENET: ...rutger4!iuvax!silver!burleigh      812/333-7082, 335-4127

brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) (09/07/88)

In article <5791@ut-emx.UUCP> xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) writes:
<I have just received an Everex 20MHz '386, w/ 4MB ram.  The OS
<is MS-DOS 3.3, running Windows/386.  One of the main applications
<we would like to run is Excel, but as configured, Windows is unable
<to do anything with the 3 meg of extended memory in the system (other
<than as a ramdisk.)

Whoa!  This ain't true.  Windows/386 does its own management of the extended
memory and will NOT work, or allow, expanded memory managers to be installed.

Do this little test:

Remove any Ram disk programs from CONFIG.SYS.  This will leave all of your
memory free.  Bring up Windows/386.  Bring down the file menu and look at the
ABOUT option.  When it comes up, you will see the amount of memory that
Windows/386 thinks that it has left.  It should be somewhere around 3 MB.

If not, then Windows/386 isn't seeing the other 3 MB of extended memory.
If it isn't seeing it, are you sure that it is extended memory and not
expanded memory.  Windows/386 cannot use expanded memory at all.
If it is indeed extended memory (stuff addressed above 1MB) and not
expanded memory (the LIM 3.4/4.0 memory), then Windows/386 is not compatible
with that machine.  I seriously doubt that Windows/386 is incompatible.

<The documentation for Windows and Excel indicate nothing about the
<use of extended memory as expanded memory.  I am looking for a driver,
<perhaps, that can simulate the LIM 3.4 specs using the extended memory
<in this Everex box.  Can anybody help me (answers, pointers, etc?)

The following pages discuss memory:

Using Microsoft Windows/386
	Page 2, 6 and 25

Questions and Answers (version 2.10 only)
	Pages 3-6

I hope this helps a little bit.  I do not know how much memory is allocated
to Excel when it is started.  You can check this by looking at the ABOUT
box before and after starting Excel.
--
	       harvard-\	 att--\
Mr. Video         ucbvax!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown

patrick@crcmar.uucp (Andrew Patrick) (09/13/88)

In article <5791@ut-emx.UUCP> xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) writes:
>I have just received an Everex 20MHz '386, w/ 4MB ram.  The OS
>is MS-DOS 3.3, running Windows/386.  One of the main applications
>we would like to run is Excel, but as configured, Windows is unable
>to do anything with the 3 meg of extended memory in the system (other
>than as a ramdisk.)
>
>The documentation for Windows and Excel indicate nothing about the
>use of extended memory as expanded memory.  I am looking for a driver,
>perhaps, that can simulate the LIM 3.4 specs using the extended memory
>in this Everex box.  Can anybody help me (answers, pointers, etc?)
>
>Please post responses, as I am suspicious of the mail link to our site.
>Thanks for you help.

Last February, someone posted EMSIM to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  This a
limited-size (256K), demonstration version!  A full size version would
have to be ordered from the company, but the demo seems to work on our
systems.

Here are some portions from the DOC file.

..
..                            EMSimulator
..
..
..            An Expanded Memory Simulator for the IBM AT
..                         and Compatibles.
..
..
..                         By Karlton W. Kam
..
..                     Installation/Users Guide
..                    Limited Evaluation Version
..
..
..            Copyright (c) 1986, Kam & Associates, Inc.
..                       All Rights Reserved.
..
..
..
..                      Kam & Associates, Inc.
..                    3615 Harding Ave. Suite 401
..                      Honolulu, Hawaii  96816
..                          (808) 737-3647
..
..
..
.. This  document  and its respective files are a  complete  working
.. limited evaluation  version of the EMSimulator. All functions are
.. implemented with the exception that simulated Expanded memory can
.. not be larger than 256K in size.  Users are allowed to distribute
.. this  version  freely as long as it is not modified in  any  way.
.. Anyone   who  finds  the EMSimulator  useful  are  encouraged  to
.. purchase   the   complete   package   which   included    printed
.. documentation and an unrestricted version, which will allow up to
.. 8 megabytes of extended memory to be used as expanded memory, for
.. only $49.95.
..
.. We  at Kam & Associates are sure that you will find this  utility
.. very  useful  to any AT or compatible owner.  We  appreciate  any
.. comments or suggestions that you may have.
..
..
..               Attention AT Extended Memory Owners!
..
.. Up  until  now,  most AT memory expansion boards such as the  AST
.. Advantage,  Qubie  4X4,  Everex RAM 3000,  2500,  and Magic Card,
.. Quadboard AT, Compaq 286, Etc, broke the 640K barrier by offering
.. Extended Memory (memory above 1 Meg).  Unfortunately, even though
.. many users have several megabytes installed and  available,  this
.. memory  was  not  usable by most software programs  except  IBM's
.. Vdisk.
..
.. The  EMSimulator  or Expanded Memory Simulator,  bridges the  gap
.. between   your  application  software  and  the  AT's  previously
.. unusable  Extended  memory.  Now programs such as Lotus  123  v2,
.. Symphony v1.1,  Lightning,  Reflex v1.1,  and most L-I-M Expanded
.. Memory  compatible software can access up to 8 megabytes of  your
.. AT's   extra  memory.   By  removing  the  640K  restriction  and
.. limitations of conventional memory,  expanded memory makes  large
.. spreadsheets and databases a reality.
..
.. The  EMSimulator  is  compatible  with the IBM  AT  and  most  AT
.. "Clones"  including  Compaq's 286  series.  Installation  of  the
.. EMSimulator  is quick and easy requiring only an addition to your
.. "CONFIG.SYS"  file  and that extended memory be available via  an
.. expansion board as mentioned above.  Compaq 286's and some clones
.. already  have extended memory capabilities so  additional  boards
.. may  not  be  required!  Contact  us  or  your  dealer  for  more
.. information.
..
.. At  an Introductory price of only $49.95,  the EMSimulator is  an
.. inexpensive  way  to utilize,  maximize,  and enhance  both  your
.. hardware and software investment.
..
..
..           Orders Only:               Information/Orders
..      (800)821-5226 Ext. 435            (808)737-3809
..
..
..                      Kam & Associates, Inc.
..                   3615 Harding Ave.  Suite 401
..                      Honolulu, Hawaii  96816

If you drop me a note, I can pack up the demo .arc and send it by
e-mail.

Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.       Communications Research Center, Ottawa, CANADA

SmartMail: patrick@crcmar.uucp  UUCP: ...utzoo!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!crcmar!patrick
BITNET: patrick%crcmar@UTORGPU  ARPA: dgbt@ncs-dre.arpa

       "Might as well be frank, monsieur. It would take a miracle to
                    get you out of Casablanca."