[comp.sys.ibm.pc] vga to ega conversion

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (09/03/88)

You've misunderstood GIF.  GIF is COMPLETELY display independent.  The decoder
simply gets a file that has between 2 and 256 colors in it and information
about its size and then IT will decide how best to display it.

It is true that a lot of GIF pictures nowadays have the full 256 color palette
filled and thus they look MUCH better on a VGA but any good EGA decoder will
still display the file and just attempt to dither (or something) to make
the picture look better when it displays it.  I know FASTGIF does some dithering
when pictures with a large number of colors on the EGA and I'm sure there are
others too.

Hope that helped,
John Munsch

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (09/06/88)

In <2777@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> carlos@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (Carlos Carrion) writes:
>	Is there a product out that converts vga graphics to ega?
>e.g., if I take a vga .GIF picture, how can I get an ega .GIF reader
>to display the pix?  I understand that the resolutions and # of bit planes
>are different.  can it be done?

Yes, this is the beauty of .GIF format.  The viewer will display what
it can of the image.  Some will scale the image to the new screen size,
others will enable you to scroll the screen around an image too large
for it (in pixels), and they all try to do something reasonable about
the colors.

Of course, an image recorded with 256 colors may not look great on a 16
color display.

There are many .GIF viewers in the PICS FORUM on CompuServe, all of
which are public-domain or ShareWare that have a variety of features.
Someone recently put a utility up there that will do some analysis of a
VGA .GIF file and apply some intelligence to the elimination of pixels
and colors so that the resulting file will look as good as possible on
an EGA.  However, the interpolation done on the fly by the regular .GIF
viewers are usually good enough.

Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself, not my employer.
--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
Applications Programmer, CompuServe	      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (09/13/88)

In <2811@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> carlos@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (Carlos Carrion) writes:
>I write:
>>>if I take a vga .GIF picture, how can I get an ega .GIF reader
>>>to display the pix?  I understand that the resolutions and # of bit planes
>>>are different.  can it be done?

>	I just realized what the problem is.  It's not a conversion problem I
>have; the problem is that I don't have a vga graphics card, so naturally my
>gif reader reading a vga pix tries to enable a graphics mode that is
>non-existent on my ega card.

No!!!!!

All you need is a GIF reader that works with the EGA.  EGAGIF, PICEM,
or FASTGIF are good examples.  Nothing in the GIF file has any effect
on what video mode the reader program uses.  You are probably using
VGIF or another VGA-specific reader program.  At the most basic level,
there is no such thing as a VGA GIF picture.  It may be 320x200x256,
but if you display it on an EGA you will see 320x200x16 or 640x200x16
or whatever mode you tell your reader program to use.  It'll probably
default to 640x350x16, but many have options.
--

In <2324@ihlpm.ATT.COM> snafu@ihlpm.ATT.COM (00704a-Wallis) writes:
>1) Does anyone know where I can find an archive of
>   GIF pictures? Anyone have any they want to trade?

There are several on CompuServe.

>2) does anyone have docs on the GIF format specification?

In the CompuServe PICS forum, you can get information on the format.
In fact, if you are interested in developing some software, I think (my
own hazy recollection -- this is not a statement of company policy) you
can even get a free account and access time as an aid to developing
your program.

--

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (09/14/88)

>>1) Does anyone know where I can find an archive of
>>   GIF pictures? Anyone have any they want to trade?
>
>There are several on CompuServe.
		  ^
		  thousand

>>2) does anyone have docs on the GIF format specification?
>
>In the CompuServe PICS forum, you can get information on the format.
>In fact, if you are interested in developing some software, I think (my
>own hazy recollection -- this is not a statement of company policy) you
>can even get a free account and access time as an aid to developing
>your program.

You will find the GIF developers application in Library 1 of the PICS forum.
Fill it out, pester the people in charge for two weeks, and if you have any
real programming experience they will grant you admission to the fold.

What you get is: all time online is free WHILE YOU ARE IN PICS (which means
that if GIF is all you are interested in you probably won't ever get any bills),
access to Library 17 which is the GIF developer's discussion area and download
library (which has lots of good source code to speed up development of your
own GIF stuff, plus not yet released applications by other people).  The free
access time can really come in handy when you want to download 2 or 3 meg of
pictures.

John Munsch