[comp.sys.ibm.pc] summary of statistics programs - get PowerStat

heath@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Todd Heatherton) (09/08/88)

I posted a note about three months ago about statistics packages for
the IBM pc family. The responses were varied, but I think I can
recommend two packages

1.  If you have +21 mbytes of space and a co-processor, SAS-pc is for you,
it combines most of the procedures from the mainframe program and is only
moderately difficult to use, it is  a  "serious" language for those who care
to learn.

If you do not have a hard drive or are in educational statistics, PowerStat
garnered the most votes as the package you should look into.  It requires
192K and works well with with two drive or hard disk systems. PowerStat
is apparently used by many teaching institutions because it comes with a
192 page intro training manula and 490 page technical refernce manual.  Since
it does many of the needed stats procedures simply and logically, many users
recommended it for other users.

In summary-- If you want stats (and all the stats), get SAS-pc or PowerStat
Both should be available from your local distrbutor.

I hope this has been helpful, send me e-mail if you have questions,

Todd Heatherton (aka "terrible typist")

emigh@ncsugn.ncsu.edu (Ted H. Emigh) (09/14/88)

In article <1988Sep8.003157.2776@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> heath@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Todd Heatherton) writes:
>In summary-- If you want stats (and all the stats), get SAS-pc or PowerStat
>Both should be available from your local distrbutor.
Unless SAS has changed, you can only get site licenses (read EXPENSIVE).
Last I heard, there were still Universities in the Triangle (e.g., Duke) who
will not get the license because of the restrictions placed on the software.

No better way to kill a software package than to make it virtually impossible
to get!
--
Ted H. Emigh, Dept. Genetics and Statistics, NCSU, Raleigh, NC
uucp:	mcnc!ncsuvx!ncsugn!emigh	internet:  emigh@ncsugn.ncsu.edu