[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Using dumb terminal AS A CONSOLE

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) (09/14/88)

In article <6795@uwmcsd1.UUCP> michaelb@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Michael L Bloxham) writes:
>I have a dumb terminal (Zenith) attached to my rs232 port via a
>null modem. How do I get this terminal working as an auxilary terminal??
>
>I can get it to work with Procom Plus's host mode through the shell.
>How do they do it??

Here is a note I made to myself that I believe applies to
PROCOMM 2.4.2, not Procomm Plus.  It may be related to what
you want to do:

After uploading HOSTFIX and reading the README file, I
figured I did not need it since I had never experienced
the stated problem: system hangs if F)iles or S)hell
options of the HOST mode were used.  Then, one day I
was changing my cables around (testing a script file
with a local terminal, so I changed the cable from
COM1: from my modem to the terminal) and Surprise!
I see exactly the behavior described that HOSTFIX
is supposed to fix!

I ask, "Why does this not happen with the modem?" and start
playing with the RS-232 control signal lines...it seems
to be that PROCOMM alone DOES NOT NEED to see CTS and DTR high
signals to still output data over COM1:----------HOWEVER,
the output routine used for both F)iles and S)hell options
stopped dead unless BOTH of these signals were ACTIVE in
the DB-25 going to COM1!  Output resumes happily just as
expected when both these signals are pulled high.

Makes sense sort of since both F)iles and S)hell are
"subshell" type of functions, eh?

So if you like hardware better than software, try
hooking CTS to DTR to a HIGH level in your connector
before you resort to HOSTFIX.

Jay Bowden, EE/Consultant; see also Bowden Engineering
Currently contracted at Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!ucsd!loral!jcb