[comp.sys.ibm.pc] to run a program at a specific time

jcb@loral.UUCP (Jay C. Bowden) (09/14/88)

In article <709@drexel.UUCP> jeff@drexel.UUCP (Jeff White) writes:

>  On one of our PC's, we have a program which gets manually started every
>morning, which calls up a company, downloads some stock information, and
>then quits.  The downloaded file is then printed out.
>
>We would like to set up the PC so that the program starts automatically
>each weekday (weekends can be ignored if it simplifies things) at a specific
>time (say, 6:00am).
>
> I would be interested in any recommendations you might have.

How about a gadget, about $150?  Here is a transcript of a
spec sheet:

                             LATER-ON(tm)
                     from Epoch Data Devices

The PC-programmable AC power switch that can power-up your PC
at night to run telecommunication scripts WITHOUT AFFECTING THE WAY
YOU USE YOUR PC DURING THE DAY!

It's 3AM.  Suddenly, there is a click, then the beep of a PC
being turned on.  As the PC boots, it knows that the power has come
on automatically, and so invokes a telecommunication command script.
A remote data base is called, and the latest reports are downloaded.
The call is ended, and the data is printed.

It's 7AM.  When the PC's owner arrives, the computer is off, and the
only evidence of the nocturnal activity is the listing in the printer.
If he uses the PC today or not, there will still be a new report in
the printer tomorrow.

     Features

Programmed via Printer port; does not interfere with printer operation.
Easy DB-25 tap-in cable allows installation in just SECONDS!

Completely programmable to power-up from once a week to 10 times a day

Software differentiates Manual power-up from Automatic power-up

     General Features

          2 heavy-duty grounded outlets

          Built-in surge suppression, circuit breaker
          lighted on-off master power switch

          6 foot 3 wire cord with grounded plug

     Local User Features

          Manual-override switch for local user can be placed
          anywhere for convenience

     Modem-Controlled Features (optional MODEM TAP cable required)

          Carrier Detect signal from External modem can turn power
          ON when the local modem connects with remote modem

          100 second power-off delay to protect against carrier
          drop-out

          Comprehensive User's Manual with application hints

     LATER-ON(tm) suggested retail price $139.95
     Modem Tap cable $10.00

            Distributed by:

Mail to me if you want more info, OK?

Jay Bowden, EE/Consultant; see also Bowden Engineering
Currently contracted at Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!ucsd!loral!jcb