[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Window development

pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) (09/09/88)

H'lo netland.

A couple of days ago I got my first taste of windows 2.x and all I can say
is WOW!  up until then we've been playing with windows 1.04 (dinosaur).
at the same time I started reading 'Environments' in PC magazine, and seeing
how easy it is to write for windows.

My question is this:  They mention RC.EXE (resource compiler) and that they
write the programs in C.  Where can I get this wonderful RC.EXE and what C
compilers will work with it?  Is there a devlopment package put out by
microsoft? and if so, how can I get it?

ANY help will be appriciated.

|Barrett Kreiner     UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!pervect |
|Tech mgr, BSU Fine Arts Lab|-----------------------------------------------|
| Ball State U. Muncie, IN  | "I'll tell ya kid, the main problem with      |
|---------------------------| Pervish food is keeping the goo from crawling |
| out of the bowl while you're eating it"|  TOON: THE game for modern times |
| Disclamer: "I don't know them!  I'm a student, nobody listens to ME!"     |

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/10/88)

>how easy it is to write for windows.

See below.

>My question is this:  They mention RC.EXE (resource compiler) and that they
>write the programs in C.  Where can I get this wonderful RC.EXE and what C
>compilers will work with it?  Is there a devlopment package put out by
>microsoft? and if so, how can I get it?

First, go to a bookstore at your nearby mall and buy the BIG violet
Windows book by Charles Petzold (accept no substitutes!). Read it.
Then decide whether you expect Windows programming to be easy.

If you do decide to program Windows, you have to buy the Windows
software development kit from Microsoft (actually, any dealer).
You will also need
Microsoft C 5.0 or 5.1.  A possible alternative to all the above
is a language product called Actor, about which I know nothing.

Doug McDonald (mcdonald@uicuuxe)

xspolsky%yale-zoo-suned@CS.YALE.EDU (Avram Spolsky) (09/11/88)

In article <3890@bsu-cs.UUCP> pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) writes:

| A couple of days ago I got my first taste of windows 2.x and all I can say
| is WOW!  up until then we've been playing with windows 1.04 (dinosaur).
| at the same time I started reading 'Environments' in PC magazine, and seeing
| how easy it is to write for windows.
|
| My question is this:  They mention RC.EXE (resource compiler) and that they
| write the programs in C.  Where can I get this wonderful RC.EXE and what C
| compilers will work with it?  Is there a devlopment package put out by
| microsoft? and if so, how can I get it?

The Microsoft Windows developer's kit, put out by Microsoft, lists (I
believe) at $500. You must have a microsoft language, officially MSC 4
or later (QuickC won't do it), Pascal, or MASM. It comes with three
huge and rather complete manuals and takes up 5 3.5" disks.

I haven't used this product, only looked at the manuals, and this does
not constitute an endorsement!!!

Joel Spolsky             bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky
Yale University          arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483

Michael@cup.portal.com (09/11/88)

So you read those PC-Mag articles and now you think writing a REAL windows
application is gonna be easy, ok I'll indulge you.  You can get the
Windows Software Development Kit for $500.00 (list).  RC.EXE is in there,
along with many other utilities, libraries, manuals, ect.  Most computer
stores can order it for you, I have never found one that stocks it.  BTW,
Microsoft doesn't mention this but you can get the Windows Device Driver
Development Kit if you have the windows SDK.  You have already paid for it
when you bought the SDK, so the cost is free, but you have to sign a non-
disclosure agreement with Microsoft.

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (09/11/88)

In article <3890@bsu-cs.UUCP> pervect@bsu-cs.UUCP (Barrett Kreiner) writes:

>My question is this:  They mention RC.EXE (resource compiler) and that they
>write the programs in C.  Where can I get this wonderful RC.EXE and what C
>compilers will work with it?  Is there a devlopment package put out by
>microsoft? and if so, how can I get it?

Yup.  It's part of the Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit, one of the
more overpriced packages around.  According to my memory (which may be
completely wrong) I priced it at $450 from 47th Street around the first of
this year.  (I picked up a copy from a liquidation house for $200.)  I haven't
heard of anyone with a competing product yet (anyone from Borland listening?)

And yes, I'll admit that 'overpriced' is relative.  For example, I would
consider that any COBOL compiler costing more than $1.00 is overpriced.

In article <8949@cup.portal.com> Michael@cup.portal.com writes:

   Microsoft doesn't mention this but you can get the Windows Device Driver
   Development Kit if you have the windows SDK.
It's only of use if you plan on writing a screen driver, keyboard driver,
serial port driver, or sound driver.  Don't bother to get it otherwise.
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Shuzan held out his short staff and said, "If you call this a short staff,

bturner@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Bill Turner) (09/15/88)

>    Microsoft doesn't mention this but you can get the Windows Device Driver
>    Development Kit if you have the windows SDK.
> It's only of use if you plan on writing a screen driver, keyboard driver,
> serial port driver, or sound driver.  Don't bother to get it otherwise.

Doesn't that kit also include printer/plotter driver examples?

--Bill Turner