[comp.sys.ibm.pc] optical mouse

leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (09/04/88)

Does anybody have any recommendations on optical mice?  I'm pretty
sure that I want an optical vs. mechanical (unless somebody can
convince me otherwise).  This is for my model 80.  Also, what is
Dr. Halo III?  I see it advertised with Optimouse and assume it is
some sort of software.

Second question:  Anybody have experience with KAO diskettes?  They
seem to have a pretty good price on HD 3.5" ($34.90).

Bruce Leung		leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
Univ. of Illinois	{seismo,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!leung

zot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Eddy Hsu @ University of Michigan Engineering) (09/05/88)

In article <42900019@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anybody have any recommendations on optical mice?  I'm pretty
> sure that I want an optical vs. mechanical (unless somebody can
> convince me otherwise).  This is for my model 80.  Also, what is
> Dr. Halo III?  I see it advertised with Optimouse and assume it is
> some sort of software.

I'd push Mouse Systems optical mice, who are actually the only ones
left I know of who make such things.  This can't be true, of course,
seeing as you name another example, but nevertheless, I recommend them,
having had one for three years or so without problems.  Actually, when
I first got it, it was faulty due to the light not reflecting correctly,
but the mouse was replaced in a few days, and has worked ever since.
Also, Mouse Systems makes these same mice for use with all SUN workstations,
and I don't see them complaining...
I recommend optical mice in general, no moving parts.  Just don't lose
the pad.

And BTW, Dr. Halo III is a fairly nice drawing program.

Ed Hsu/zot!

animal@ernie.NECAM.COM (Alan R. Silverman) (09/07/88)

In article <42900019@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anybody have any recommendations on optical mice?  I'm pretty
> sure that I want an optical vs. mechanical (unless somebody can
> convince me otherwise).  This is for my model 80.  Also, what is
> Dr. Halo III?

We are running NEC APC IV's, which are PC-AT Compatibles running DOS.
We use the PC MOUSE, by Mouse Systems Corporation.  They are optical
and work very well (and are easy to install).  They have a nice feel
to them and the pad is just the right size.

mikes@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Stanbro) (09/08/88)

From article <3e4768a0.1285f@maize.engin.umich.edu>, by zot@caen.engin.umich.edu (Eddy Hsu @ University of Michigan Engineering):
> In article <42900019@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>> Does anybody have any recommendations on optical mice?  I'm pretty
>> sure that I want an optical vs. mechanical (unless somebody can
>> convince me otherwise).  This is for my model 80.  Also, what is
>> Dr. Halo III?  I see it advertised with Optimouse and assume it is
>> some sort of software.
>>

> I'd push Mouse Systems optical mice, who are actually the only ones
> left I know of who make such things.  This can't be true, of course,
> seeing as you name another example, but nevertheless, I recommend them,
> having had one for three years or so without problems.  Actually, when
> I first got it, it was faulty due to the light not reflecting correctly,
> but the mouse was replaced in a few days, and has worked ever since.
> Also, Mouse Systems makes these same mice for use with all SUN workstations,
> and I don't see them complaining...
> I recommend optical mice in general, no moving parts.  Just don't lose
> the pad.
>
> And BTW, Dr. Halo III is a fairly nice drawing program.
>
> Ed Hsu/zot!

I also recommend Mouse Systems.  I have used their product for many years
and have been very pleased with the mouse and the company.  I believe
the mouse has a "lifetime" warranty.  My first mouse died after four years of
service.  It was purchased through my company and I never sent in the
warranty registration card.  When I explained the situation they were
very understanding and replaced the mouse without any questions.
They even through in a new pad just for good PR.  I was so pleased with
the service I bought another one for home use.
Mike Stanbro,  Advanced Development,  Mentor Graphics Corporation
8500 SW Creekside Place,   Beaverton OR   97005,   (503) 626-1437
...!{sequent,tessi,apollo}!mntgfx!mikes  OR  mikes@pdx.MENTOR.COM

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (09/08/88)

In article <42900019@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

| Does anybody have any recommendations on optical mice?  I'm pretty

  I have been very happy with Mouse Systems. They can pretend to be a
Microsoft Mouse if needed, and have been very reliable. Same mouse as a Sun.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

fleming@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (09/08/88)

	The two main objections to an optical mouse that I've come across
	are that you sometimes need an extra power source to drive the
	LED, and if the pad gets damaged or lost you are out of luck.

	I have a few Mouse System mice and they are often looked over for
	use, while my Logitech mechanical mice are always lent out.

	Nothing like other people's opinions to screw up a nice day...  :-)

	Declan J. Fleming
	U of I

russ@hpldola.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) (09/08/88)

Jade Computer is advertising an Opto-Mechanical Mouse for $29.00.
Does anyone know anything about this mouse?
    Microsoft Compatible 3 button mouse
    For IBM PC, XT, AT or Compatible
    25 PIN Serial RS-232C Interface
    One Year Warranty
    Menu-Pops software

leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (09/09/88)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request about optical mice.

It seems that Mouse Systems has a corner on the market.  Several
people gave some good arguments against optical mice (most having
to do with the special pad required) but none that really applied
to my own use.  (Now to find a cheap mail order place.)

pmb@orion1.hf.intel.com (Patti Beadles) (09/14/88)

In article <42900020@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>It seems that Mouse Systems has a corner on the market.  Several
>people gave some good arguments against optical mice (most having
>to do with the special pad required) but none that really applied
>to my own use.  (Now to find a cheap mail order place.)

As an aside, I found that it's pretty easy to create a replacement for
a Mouse Systems' Mouse pad.  Xeroxing it will work, though not well.
What we wound up doing was writing a PostScript program to print one on
our Apple LaserWriter.  It worked almost as well as the real thing, and
we could vary the resolution and the size of the pad at will.  (It was
also pretty cheap.  :-)

If anybody is interested, I can mail them a copy of the program to do
it, though it's a pretty trivial thing to write.

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) (09/16/88)

In article <42900019@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anybody have any recommendations on optical mice?  I'm pretty
> sure that I want an optical vs. mechanical (unless somebody can
> convince me otherwise).  This is for my model 80.  Also, what is
> Dr. Halo III?

I've been using a PC MOUSE hooked up to a Zenith 241/8 for almost 2 and
a half years now with absolutely no problems at all.  I think that this
is probably one of the best buys that I ever made.  I have one of the
ones that has its own power supply line but hey what can I say when I
buy technology at the start of the techno-climb!

Do our employers have opinions or is that what we get paid for!

stever@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Imants Golts) (09/16/88)

In article <42900020@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> leung@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>>It seems that Mouse Systems has a corner on the market.  Several
>>people gave some good arguments against optical mice (most having
>>to do with the special pad required) but none that really applied
>>to my own use.  (Now to find a cheap mail order place.)

>As an aside, I found that it's pretty easy to create a replacement for
>a Mouse Systems' Mouse pad.  Xeroxing it will work, though not well.
>What we wound up doing was writing a PostScript program to print one on
>our Apple LaserWriter.  It worked almost as well as the real thing, and
>we could vary the resolution and the size of the pad at will.  (It was
>also pretty cheap.  :-)

Then there is the old venetian blind trick.  It works!  Sort of.
Mini-blinds is a slight refinement.  8-) | (-8

--sdr