[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help with EGA graphics

tadpole@sonia.math.ucla.edu (Tad White) (09/17/88)

In article <834@hub.ucsb.edu> grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) writes:
>I would appreciate any info or (even better) C source code showing
>how to initialize the EGA and then display a monochrome image.

What a coincidence! I'm having the same problem with the high resolution
graphics mode.  I want to access the EGA without using interrupts; so my
strategy was to essentially imitate the interrupt 10 mode selection and
WRITE_DOT routines (I'm using PASCAL).  To my chagrin, nothing appears on
the screen.  Any hints? Thanks!

------------------------------------
 Tad White (tadpole@math.ucla.edu) |
 Department of Mathematics         |
 University of California          |
 Los Angeles, CA    90024          |

ncsmith@ndsuvax.UUCP (Timothy Smith) (09/17/88)

In article <94@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> tadpole@math.ucla.edu (Tad White) writes:
>In article <834@hub.ucsb.edu> grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) writes:

[ about EGA control problems ]

The things you want to do involve video register manipulation and I don't
feel up to explaining them but, if you want information on how to do this
I would suggest getting a copy of

        Programmer's Guide to PC & PS/2 Video Systems
        Richard Wilton
        Microsoft Press 1987
        $24.95

I got my copy a B'Dalton's and haven't regretted it.  It covers the mechanics
of how to put dots all over in all the current modes CGA,....,VGA plus some
non-IBM standards, Hercules...   The book has routines in asm which will do
the dot putting so you don't have to write up your own, even comes with a
disk of them if you want to pay for it, the book also covers various methods
for drawing lines, circles, fill algorithims, and mixing text and graphics.

       Tim Smith