[comp.sys.ibm.pc] SEA & I'm not happy!

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (09/12/88)

  I am not including any of the previous messages, but I will quickly
summarize them:
  1) SEA sued PKARC for the use of SEA's trademark "ARC".
  2) SEA won.
  3) SEA should not be allowed to win.

  This problem is also happening in the battle of Apple vs Microsoft Windows.
  I do not see the conclusion of either of these battles (Apple is going to
win by out-legalizing Microsoft) as good for the computer industry, regardless
of the computer.
  I am using an Atari 8-bit computer but this problem affects everyone who
uses a computer rather than just the IBM owners.
  I have captured all the previous messages and rest assured you are all going
to be immortalized on BBS's around the nation.  I don't know about you but I
have had enough of this bullying.
  A more forceful letter sent to Apple (something to the effect of : even if
windows never makes it to the IBM, I won'T buy your computer if it's the only
one in the WORLD!) along with one sent to SEA would probably do more for the
industry as a whole than even boycotting their products would.  I also, of
course, advocate boycotting their products.

  One last thing...could someone please make this series of articles go into
world-wide distribution.  I'm afraid I don't quite have this service down
enough to do that.

sarathy@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Rajiv Sarathy) (09/14/88)

In article <8996@cup.portal.com> Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com writes:

>  I am not including any of the previous messages, but I will quickly
>summarize them:
>  1) SEA sued PKARC for the use of SEA's trademark "ARC".
>  2) SEA won.
>  3) SEA should not be allowed to win.
>
>  This problem is also happening in the battle of Apple vs Microsoft Windows.
>  I do not see the conclusion of either of these battles (Apple is going to
>win by out-legalizing Microsoft) as good for the computer industry, regardless
>of the computer.

> blah. blah. blah.

   Au contraire, mon ami.  It IS good for the industry (software, that is).
How would YOU like it if YOU wrote a new program which revolutionalizes the
way people think about computers, and everyone else started copying you?

   Unless you are a complete altruist, and have no capitalistic tendencies, in
which case you wouldn't be a true red-white-and-blue American, you wouldn't
like it either.  I know I'm treading on a few toes, but give it some thought --
it's true.

   Apple will probably (I have NO inside knowledge) license the right to other
software vendors (Microsoft, HP, etc) to have a desktop similar to theirs.

   As a software author, I know that I wouldn't want others profiting from my
ideas, without giving me a piece of the pie. ;->

-----
Disclaimer: I'm just an undergrad.
-----

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (09/14/88)

In article <1988Sep13.185106.14193@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, sarathy@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
> How would YOU like it if YOU wrote a new program which revolutionalizes the
> way people think about computers, and everyone else started copying you?

Didn't I hear once about some form of protection (copyright, trademark,
or something) which had limited duration? This would let the inventor
have x years to launch the product, make his big bucks and get his name
plastered all over the place, but after that time others would have a
chance to share the pie.

Did I just dream about this, or is it real? Does it apply to this type
of situation? Would it be a good idea?
--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

anand@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Anand Iyengar) (09/15/88)

In article <1988Sep13.185106.14193@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> sarathy@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
>   Au contraire, mon ami.  It IS good for the industry (software, that is).
>How would YOU like it if YOU wrote a new program which revolutionalizes the
>way people think about computers, and everyone else started copying you?
	Au contraire:  it's good for Apple, who stole it from Xerox, who's
to weak to sue them...

							Anand.

dave@sun.soe (Dave Goldblatt) (09/15/88)

From article <1894@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, by anand@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Anand Iyengar):
> In article <1988Sep13.185106.14193@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> sarathy@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
>>   Au contraire, mon ami.  It IS good for the industry (software, that is).
>>How would YOU like it if YOU wrote a new program which revolutionalizes the
>>way people think about computers, and everyone else started copying you?
> 	Au contraire:  it's good for Apple, who stole it from Xerox, who's
> to weak to sue them...

Actually, Apple signed a licensing agreement with Xerox for the NONEXCLUSIVE
right to the techniques developed at PARC.

At least one other company, Sun Microsystems, has also signed such a license
agreement.

Besides, I'm sure Xerox could sue Apple if they deigned to.  I wouldn't
exactly call them a "weak" company.. :-)

-dg-

--

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu    or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet            uucp: {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (09/17/88)

In article <506@mks.UUCP>, wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) wrote:

> Didn't I hear once about some form of protection (copyright, trademark,
> or something) which had limited duration?

Patents last 17 years from the date granted by the patent office, and
are granted on a first-to-invent, not first-to-file basis.  Ever note
how most patents seem to be pending and not actually granted?  This is
because companies will stretch out the patent application process
since the clock doesn't start running until the patent is granted.
You can add years to the effective life of the patent by dragging out
the application process.  The other thing to note is that it doesn't
matter when you file a patent (as long as it's within a year of
invention) because the US uses the unusual first-to-invent system: the
initial inventor gets the patent, not the first person to file.  This
is a little fairer than first-to-file, but can make for messy patent
fights.  Patents must be vigorously defended against all violators,
making a patent expensive to hold.

Copyrights last for either 50 or 75 years after the death of the
author (I can't remember which).  You don't have to defend against
each violation like you do with a patent.

Trademarks last forever if defended and used.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (09/19/88)

Ive come to the conclusion that Apple's lawsuits against everybody
is the only way they can stay in business because their systems
are being phased out.  All the school systems around here are dropping
the Apples and replacing them with IBM compats...  I used the apple
when I was in school (grad '83), thought they were junk, and am glad
to see them gone!

Vaprak@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!Vaprak