[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Info on Controlling Joy Sticks

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (09/13/88)

Could anyone point me in the right direction on how to read
joy stick values on a PC in C or assembly?

Thanks,

--
Chuck Noren     (303) 971-7930

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (09/14/88)

In article <637@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) writes:
> direction on how to read joy stick values on a PC in C or assembly?

INT 15H, AH=84H - Joystick Support
Input	AH	=84H
	DX	=0000H	Read Switches
		=0001H	Read Potentiometer

Returns	AX	=Switch settings, if DX=0000H
		 POT A(x), if DX=0001H
	BX	=POT A(y), if DX=0001H
	CX	=POT B(x), if DX=0001H
	DX	=POT B(y), if DX=0001H
	CF	=0
	IF	=1

The Joystick that I bought claims that the 'pot' values read will vary with
the speed of the machine.  You should assign a value for 0,0 to the pot
reading at entry, or at a specific 'recalibration' time.

--
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274
		...pyramid!ctnews!mitisft!professo!dold

josef@ugun21 (09/16/88)

See the latest "Circuit Cellar Ink", it has an article on
"Using the IBM PC Joystick".
If You can't get one, let me know, I might type in the pascal/asm/c code
to e-mail it.

BTW: does anybody know the literal translation of "Joystick" into German?
(I mean LITERAL, not "der Joystick")

    *
    **			Josef Moellers
    * *		paper-mail:
*****  *		c/o Nixdorf Computer AG
*	*		Abt. EG-3
*	 *		Unterer Frankfurter Weg
*	  *		D-4790 Paderborn
*	 *	telephone:
*	*		(+49) 5251 104691
*****  *	e-mail:
    * *			(USA)  uunet!linus!nixbur!nixpbe!mollers.pad
    **			(!USA) mcvax!unido!nixpbe!mollers.pad
    *

PS: Please use e-mail address, josef@ugun21 is of no use

Standard disclaimer: Blablabla opinion blablabla employer blablabla!

haugj@pigs.UUCP (The Beach Bum) (09/16/88)

In article <712@starfish.Convergent.COM> cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>In article <637@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) writes:
>> direction on how to read joy stick values on a PC in C or assembly?
>
>INT 15H, AH=84H - Joystick Support

i tried this on my Wyse 3216 running SCO Xenix and it didn't work.  why?
because that was a DOS call.

now if someone would like to give the correct answer, i'd be most grateful.

[ ps - i didn't really try it. ;-) ]
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-The Beach Bum at The Big "D" Home for Wayward Hackers-=-=-=-=-=-=
               Very Long Address: John.F.Haugh@rpp386.dallas.tx.us

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (09/18/88)

From article <421@pigs.UUCP>, by haugj@pigs.UUCP (The Beach Bum):
> In article <712@starfish.Convergent.COM> cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>>In article <637@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) writes:
>> direction on how to read joy stick values on a PC in C or assembly?
>>INT 15H, AH=84H - Joystick Support
> i tried this on my Wyse 3216 running SCO Xenix and it didn't work.  why?
> because that was a DOS call.
> now if someone would like to give the correct answer, i'd be most grateful.
> [ ps - i didn't really try it. ;-) ]
Oh, so quick to flame theory, so slow to try it...
A DOS call???   Why is it that I found it in my Compaq 386 Hardware Tech Ref?
I believe that it is a BIOS ROM call, since it appears in chapter 4,
"SOFTWARE ASPECTS AND BIOS"
Besides, you aren't the one that asked for it.  I already got e-mail from
Charles Noren telling me that it, and the c-source that I mailed to him,
worked.      Of course he might be running DOS.

And just a parting shot.......
Why don't you change your .signature so it fits on a line?

--

haugj@pigs.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) (09/20/88)

In article <720@starfish.Convergent.COM> cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
>Oh, so quick to flame theory, so slow to try it...
>A DOS call???   Why is it that I found it in my Compaq 386 Hardware Tech Ref?
>I believe that it is a BIOS ROM call, since it appears in chapter 4,
>"SOFTWARE ASPECTS AND BIOS"

didn't have to try it.  xenix does not support `rom-bios calls'.  to
support a joystick a device driver would have to be written and ioctl()
calls made to read the joystick pots and buttons.

>Besides, you aren't the one that asked for it.

does that actually matter?  i've asked for it now ...