[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seagate ST4096

jeff@wdl1.UUCP (Jonathan J. Jefferies) (08/20/88)

Hi,
to relate.  Please excuse the long winded response as I'm not
sure what information is of interest to you.
	I just went through the excercise of buying a new disk.
I too liked the specs on the Seagate 4096.  I was replacing a
micropolis 1304 (40 mega byte device.  I looked for a decent price
and wound up at USM in South San Francisco. A small local
distributor.  The price was $525.  I paid my money and went
home without any further adieu.  It took me three days and a lot
of sweat to convince myself that I had a lemon.  Now this can happen
anywhere and when I took the drive back USM tried to format it, found
it couldn't and agreed to an exchange.  This is probably
the most expedient solution all the way around. This however, doesn't
repay for the hours spent trying to find the problem. Unfortunately they didn't
have anymore in stock and were to receive a shipment the next day.
Well they did and I am to pick it up this evening.  So I won't be
able to tell you anything of a technical nature until I've tested
it further.  Moreover the disk is for a 68000 unix machine.
	Now what I've told you is a mixed bag.  It seems all these
machines are made abroad, a fact which became obvious when I scanned
their (USM) storeroom.  My cousin who manages a computerland
store tells me that he routinely gets bad drives in shipments
which then need to be returned to the distributor.  It was for this
reason that he suggested that I locate a local supplier rather than
go thru his store in El Paso.   I mention their being made abroad to
indicate that I don't think looking for an american made product would
be reasonable even if I thought american made would be any guarantee.
	On the plus side, I did make contact with the Seagate people
who were most courteous and helpful and sent me some decent literature
to supplement the meager sheets included with the drive.
	In summary I would say that when buying make sure the thing
works.  Ask the seller to format the drive for you just as a test that
it will work for someone.  This would have saved me several days and
160 miles of driving.  As a comment I notice that USM is selling thje
Seagate ST225 (60 megs/25ms/HH) for $199.  Two of those might be a
better deal than one 80 meg full height for $525.
Good luck
jeff@wdl1

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (08/22/88)

The ST225 is a 20M 65ms drive, not 60M 21ms.

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (08/23/88)

  I am getting this info from an article on Seagate from an investment
standard, not from a stockholder's report.

In article <4160010@wdl1.UUCP> jeff@wdl1.UUCP (Jonathan J. Jefferies) writes:

| 	Now what I've told you is a mixed bag.  It seems all these
| machines are made abroad, a fact which became obvious when I scanned
| their (USM) storeroom.  My cousin who manages a computerland
| store tells me that he routinely gets bad drives in shipments

  This is not unique to Seagate... I've had bad drives from Seagate,
Priam, Miniscribe, Tulin, etc. Half of all Core disks I've gotten have
been bad (this is joke, I have only had two ;-). Rather than believe
that everyone is making crap, I believe that the carrier may beat the
disks into failure, with some being better than others.

| which then need to be returned to the distributor.  It was for this

  According to the article, Seagate has both on shore and offshore
plants. Seagate seems to own the offshore plants, rather than buying a
disk made offshore and putting their name on it.

| reason that he suggested that I locate a local supplier rather than
| go thru his store in El Paso.   I mention their being made abroad to
| indicate that I don't think looking for an american made product would
| be reasonable even if I thought american made would be any guarantee.

  I think that buying from a local dealer takes one more carrier out of
the loop. The term "drop ship" has several meanings...

| 	In summary I would say that when buying make sure the thing
| works.  Ask the seller to format the drive for you just as a test that
| it will work for someone.  This would have saved me several days and
| 160 miles of driving.  As a comment I notice that USM is selling thje
| Seagate ST225 (60 megs/25ms/HH) for $199.  Two of those might be a
| better deal than one 80 meg full height for $525.

  The ST225 is 20MB, about 60ms access. Hopefully they are not claiming
the figures you have.

  For information, according the _Computer Retailer News_, Seagate has
61% of unit sales and 62% of dollar sales in this country. That's more
than all others combined. I would guess that this means the OEMs find
them cost effective. I agree that they are not the most reliable drive
on the market, but they seem to have a very good reliability after
"infant mortality" when they're under warantee. Perhaps they don't ship
well.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

suppe@ge-dab.GE.COM (Dennis Suppe) (09/16/88)

I am considering buying a Seagate ST4096 80Mb hard disk for
my 386 clone.

Is anyone using this disk?  How reliable is it?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Suppe.
--
	Dennis R. Suppe <suppe@ge-dab.GE.COM>
	General Electric Simulation and Control System Department

Sorceress@cup.portal.com (09/17/88)

I just replaced my Miniscribe 6053 with a Seagate ST4096. It went in easily and
has shown no problems as yet (fingers crossed). Make sure that they do not
ship it UPS and that you get the DiskManager software than comes with it. Mine
cost $650.

ldh@hcx1.SSD.HARRIS.COM (09/20/88)

>I just replaced my Miniscribe 6053 with a Seagate ST4096. It went in easily and
>has shown no problems as yet (fingers crossed). Make sure that they do not
>ship it UPS and that you get the DiskManager software than comes with it. Mine
Actually the real problem is not UPS but any ground based carrier.  UPS blue/red
air are both better for the drive ...

Leo Hinds