[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 386 Computer Problems

mike@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (Michael Bishop) (09/07/88)

I'm having a serious problem with my Dell Model 310 computer  system which I
have not been able to solve so far.  I thought I would share my experiences,
then  solicit  ideas and  comments  from the net.  Perhaps  others  have had
similar problems.  I've owned the system for about 6 weeks now.

First the machine:

  Original Configuration:
    20 Mhz 386 (AT Compatible)
    1 MB main memory
    VGA Color Plus Monitor
    40 MB Hard Disk
    40 MB Tape Backup
    101 Key Enhanced Keyboard

  I Added:
    1 MB RAM (bought from Dell)
    Microsoft Bus Mouse w/ mouse driver 6.24

The symptoms:

  The system  crashes  periodically.  However,  there  isn't a simple set of
  commands, or  keystrokes,  or mouse  movements  that  produces the failure
  every time.  The  problem  appears  intermittently.  I know it has crashed
  when it refuses to accept input and the input buffer  overflows.  I've had
  it crash with  MicroSoft  Word 4.0, MS Windows 386, Leisure Suite Larry (a
  game),  and  other  programs,  so I do not think the  problem  lies in the
  software  I'm  running.  Sometimes  I can soft  re-boot,  other  times I'm
  forced to cold start the machine.

What I've done so far:

  At first I  thought  that the  problem  was  either  software  related  or
  configuration  related.  It seems that the system  only  crashes  when I'm
  generating  input from the mouse or keyboard.  I can run a simple graphics
  program (output only) for days without the system crashing.  However, when
  I'm using  MicroSoft  Word and heavily  using the mouse and keyboard,  the
  system crashes regularly.

  I called  MicroSoft and told them what was going on.  They seemed to think
  that my problem was due to an "old" mouse  driver.  I was running the 6.11
  version of the mouse  driver.  They sent me a new mouse driver  (6.24).  I
  tried it out, quickly making the system crash again.

  The next  thing I tried  was  powering  up the  system  without  the mouse
  hardware and without installing a mouse driver.  I was still able to crash
  MS Word quickly by just using the arrow keys to drive around in a file.  I
  could crash Word in about a minute or less.

  Then I suspected possible BIOS bugs.  The Dell Model 310 allows you to run
  the BIOS in RAM for faster  speed, but if that RAM was  getting  clobbered
  inadvertently,  I figured it could crash the system.  So I turned the Fast
  BIOS and Fast Video modes off so that I could run all of the  firmware out
  of ROM.  The system  still  crashed.  Finally,  I turned the system  speed
  down  from 20 Mhz to 8 Mhz.  A-ha!  The  problem  went  away.  I could not
  crash the system at 8 Mhz.

  Suspecting  the  hardware  more  and  more,  I  called  Dell  Computer.  I
  explained  the  problem;  They, of course, had never heard of any problems
  like  mine, but  being  the good  guys  that they are,  they sent me a new
  motherboard.  A service man came out and transferred my additional 1 MB of
  RAM from the old  motherboard  to the new  motherboard.  Then he installed
  the new  motherboard  and  powered  up the  system.  It seemed to run just
  fine.  All of the  techniques  and  methods  that I was  using to make the
  system  crash (at 20 Mhz) had no effect.  I was  somewhat  confident  that
  that the  problem  was fixed.  (Of course the real test would be making it
  through an 8-hour Word session without the system dying.)  The service man
  left taking my old motherboard with him.

  Well, to make a very long story  somewhat  shorter,  I crashed  Word again
  about an hour into a session.  It seems that the system still crashes, but
  far more *infrequently* than before.  So far, I've only been able to crash
  the system once; the symptoms,  however, are the same.  Input locks up and
  I'm forced to re-boot.  (BTW, I've tried using Word's  CNTL-ALT-/  command
  to clear the input  buffer,  this has no effect as far as  unfreezing  the
  system.  I've also tried running Word in Text Mode, but it still crashes.)

  My next  experiment is to pull the 1 MB of additional RAM and see if I can
  crash the system as *originally* configured.  This is rather risky because
  of static electricity and such.

  BTW, all of the computer diagnostics (e.g., the Dell System Analyzer) say
  the system is A-okay, including the RAM test.

Prognosis:

  I'm tempted to call Dell and have them ship me a whole new system, but I'd
  really like to know what's  wrong with the one I've got.  If I had to take
  a guess, I'd say with fair confidence that it's a hardware  timing-related
  problem,  and that the new  motherboard  solved  it a little  bit, but not
  completely.  Another  possibility is defective SIMMs (memory) but it seems
  that would have produced a similar failing frequency on both motherboards.
  So I think the "bad memory  theory" is somewhat  less likely than the "bad
  system timing" theory.  Isn't this fun?

  Does anyone have a "reasonable"  suggestion  for helping me to isolate and
  solve this  problem?  I've had the computer  for over a month now but have
  not been able to use it very much because of these problems.

  Thanks for all of your ideas.**

Michael Bishop
Hewlett-Packard/Graphics Technology Division
Ft Collins, CO.
UUCP:      {ihnp4,hplabs}!hpfcla!mike-b
Internet:  mike%hpfclp@hplabs.HP.COM

** Related to this topic :-).

kevinc@auvax.UUCP (Kevin "auric" Crocker) (09/22/88)

In article <6640011@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM>, mike@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (Michael Bishop) writes:
> I'm having a serious problem with my Dell Model 310 computer  system which I
>   Original Configuration:
>     20 Mhz 386 (AT Compatible)
>     1 MB main memory
>     VGA Color Plus Monitor
>     40 MB Hard Disk
>     40 MB Tape Backup
>     101 Key Enhanced Keyboard
>
>   I Added:
>     1 MB RAM (bought from Dell)
>     Microsoft Bus Mouse w/ mouse driver 6.24
>
>Michael Bishop

Without trying to point the finger, we had a microsoft bus mouse her
and we tried it on an AT and a 386 and everything just kept on
crashing.  Were pretty sure that either something was wrong with the
mouse itself ( ie. it did not process signals properly) or it had
something to do with the driver that processed the signals from the
mouse.  When we took the mouse out both machines worked perfectly.  We
did call microsoft and they in all fairness tried to help but nothing
seemed to solve the problem in its entireity.  We eventually sent it
back and bought a Mouse Systems Mouse that was compatible with MS mouse
as this is what we needed to run one particular piece of software.

Hope this helps but I'm not too sure htat it will