[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Help needed for odd HDs in ATs

cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord) (09/20/88)

I posted this earlier, but a local system crash clobbered it..

I wish to put two old 40Mb drives on an AT-clone, but need parameters
for the low-level format then the drive types for Setup.  The drives
are the Quantum Q540 and the Atasi 3046.  If someone can provide
the right info or else point me in the right direction for the info
I would be most grateful.
--
Charles Lord           ..!decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!cjl    Usenet
Cary, NC               cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu        Bitnet

Howard.Spindel@busker.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (09/22/88)

> From: cjl@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Charles Lord)
> Date: 20 Sep 88 04:46:38 GMT
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
> I wish to put two old 40Mb drives on an AT-clone, but need parameters
> for the low-level format then the drive types for Setup.  The drives
> are the Quantum Q540 and the Atasi 3046.  If someone can provide
> the right info or else point me in the right direction for the info
> I would be most grateful.

Atasi 3046: 7 heads, 635 cyl, write precomp 320, standard AT setup number
3, standard AT capacity 32.1mb.
Quantum Q540: 8 heads, 512 cyl, write precomp 256, standard AT setup
number 7, standard AT capacity 32.2 mb.
Since you are using a clone instead of an IBM AT there may be setup
numbers which match these drives more closely.  The Atasi is capable of
6.6 mb more than the standard AT setup allows, the Quantum is capable of
3.5 mb more.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!Howard.Spindel