[comp.sys.ibm.pc] will trade pizza for public domain or damn cheap graphing package

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (09/20/88)

how about it, folks!  there's got to be something better than a
bootlegged Lotus PrintGraph.

i need something that will allow me to graph arbitrary functions
and axes -- hopefully with bitmapped teeny numbers.

... for a PC with a hercules graphics card.

are there DOS programs which can do this?

thanks in advance.  want the pizza, too?  just give me the
address of a Pizza Joint near you, and a mega-handy pointer to a
graphics package and i'll see what i can do.

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (09/20/88)

In article <1894@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Elias) writes:
>how about it, folks!  there's got to be something better than a
>bootlegged Lotus PrintGraph.
>
>i need something that will allow me to graph arbitrary functions
>and axes -- hopefully with bitmapped teeny numbers.
>
>... for a PC with a hercules graphics card.
>
>are there DOS programs which can do this?
>
>thanks in advance.  want the pizza, too?  just give me the
>address of a Pizza Joint near you, and a mega-handy pointer to a
>graphics package and i'll see what i can do.

One possibility is True Basic Calculus.  It does a number of silly
things, one of which is a reasonable job of graphing functions.
I just finished graphing some things with a Hercules card.  You
enter functions in a resonable form; e.g. sin(x^2)/exp(-x^4).

True Basic
39 South Main Street
Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-3882

I'm not sure how much it costs.  We got some with calculus textbooks.

In case this does what you need, you'll need the following:

Kelly's
102 N. Page Ave.
Endicott, NY

Why is it that in a town with dozens of Italian restaurants, I can only
get good pizza at an Irish sports bar?

Fred Sullivan				SUNY at Binghamton
Dept. Math. Sciences			Binghamton, NY 13903
					sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu
First you make a roux!

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (09/20/88)

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) writes:
}	[ . . . ]
}
}Why is it that in a town with dozens of Italian restaurants, I can only
}get good pizza at an Irish sports bar?
	[ . . . ]
}First you make a roux!

Given your last name, and your belief that pizza requires a roux, I'm
not surprised by your difficulties :-)
--
--    bob,mon			(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
--    "Aristotle was not Belgian..."	- Wanda

cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (Craig B. Ziemer) (09/21/88)

> In article <1894@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Elias) writes:
> >how about it, folks!  there's got to be something better than a
> >bootlegged Lotus PrintGraph.
> >
> >i need something that will allow me to graph arbitrary functions
> >and axes -- hopefully with bitmapped teeny numbers.
> >

> >thanks in advance.  want the pizza, too?  just give me the
> >address of a Pizza Joint near you, and a mega-handy pointer to a
> >graphics package and i'll see what i can do.

Why not try the PD program FUNCTION PLOTTER.  It's not real fancy but
it'll certainly do what you're asking for.  If you want it I'll mail
it to you along with the address of my "Hometown Pizza Hut".

*                                                                           *
*                                %%                                         *
*  Craig B. Ziemer               %%        DISCLAIMER: AT&T has absolutely  *
*  AT&T Bell Laboratories    %%%%%%%%%%    nothing to do with what I just   *
*  Reading, PA                   %%        said, in fact, I'll probably     *
*                                %%        deny everything by tomorrow :^)  *
*  UNIX ADDRESS: mhuxu!cbz       %%                                         *
*                                %%        !!!!!!! Matthew 26:36-40 !!!!!!! *
*                                                                           *

kaires@hubcap.UUCP (Robert G Kaires) (09/23/88)

In article <8259@mhuxu.UUCP>, cbz@mhuxu.UUCP (Craig B. Ziemer) writes:
> > >......[stuff].........
> > >i need something that will allow me to graph arbitrary functions
> > >and axes -- hopefully with bitmapped teeny numbers.
> > >
> > >thanks in advance.  want the pizza, too?  just give me the
> > >address of a Pizza Joint near you, and a mega-handy pointer to a
> > >graphics package and i'll see what i can do.
>
> Why not try the PD program FUNCTION PLOTTER.  It's not real fancy but
> it'll certainly do what you're asking for.  If you want it I'll mail
> it to you along with the address of my "Hometown Pizza Hut".
> *  Craig B. Ziemer
> *  AT&T Bell Laboratories

If you're talking about the FUNCTION PLOTTER I released about 2 months.
IT is NOT public domain.  It was very clearly stated in the summary that
this is SHAREWARE, meaning (as I'm sure most of you know but apparently
Craig B. Ziemer doesn't), that you pay for it voluntarily if you use it
and like it.  I asked only $15 to encourage registration, not to
classify this as public domain.  If you're talking about some function
plotter that I don't know about.......never mind.

Bob Kaires

PS I might as well use this opportunity to advertise that I am releasing
a new, much enhanced, version in a few weeks.

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (09/23/88)

Russ Nelson has kindly pointed me at a PC version of gnuplot.
i had seen gnuplot run on Suns before, but had no idea it
was available for PCs.  i'll be trying it out over the next
couple weeks...  thanks for all the help, folks...

steve