[comp.sys.ibm.pc] IBM's Next User Interface

merchant@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Peter Merchant) (09/24/88)

In article <455@infmx.UUCP> greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) writes:
>In article <417@nikhefk.UUCP> paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) writes:
>>A recent usenet posting stated that IBM payed $10 million for the use
>>of the user interface developed by NeXt.
>>It aroused a lot of curiosity at my end. For what machines does IBM
>>need this user interface?
>
>According to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle (comical?), the

It is supposed to be used with IBM AIX (not to be confused with AUX), which
is IBM's version of Unix for the IBM RT.  They also have AIX for the PS/2
Model 80 (and I think the 70, too).

The Presentation Manager is being developed by Microsoft.  There is talk of
using PARC's latest concept, called "Rooms".  From the description in
InfoWorld, it is much like the concept of having multiple Desktops for
different projects (which makes sense to me--whoever heard of a trashcan on
a desktop?!)
---
"Hold on to the night."              Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)
                                           (Peter.G.Merchant@dartmouth.edu)