[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compaq Deskpro 8086

tom@vrdxhq.UUCP (Tom Welsh) (09/23/88)

I have a problem.

I have a Compaq Deskpro, 8086-based, with a 20 MB hard disk.  A couple of
months ago I reformatted the entire disk in order to go from MS-DOS 2.11
to PC-DOS 3.3.  Since that time, the machine will NOT boot from the
hard disk.  It will boot fine from my 3.3 PCDOS floppy.  After booting,
the entire hard disk is available and works perfectly fine.  I have
tried reissuing the sys c: command and I even tried (using the
debugger) copying the boot record from a IBM AT runing 3.3 and writing
it to the boot record of my Compaq hard disk.  Nothing.  It makes
no sense to me -- the contents of the hard disk boot record are almost
identical to the floppy (except for obviuous things like sector count, etc.)
NOthing.  If I try to boot off the hard disk, it just hangs, forever --
stick a 3.3 floppy in -- CTRL-ALT-DEL and everything is fine, including
hard disk access.

I'm certainly not dead in the water -- but I consider it a major nuisance.

Any ideas, anyone?

broode@orion.cf.uci.edu (Brian Roode) (09/23/88)

Did you run FDISK under DOS 3.3 to make an active boot partition?

casper@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (09/23/88)

Have you tried going all the way back to the beginning?  Hard to say why
it doesn't work, but try a low-level format, then use fdisk, then do a
DOS format with the /s switch.  As a free added bonus you get to confirm
the bad tracks/sectors on your hard disk.

Of course, make sure everything currently on the hard disk is backed up,
except for system files.  (Obviously if you back up the system files in
the root directory, do all the work to reformat your disk, then restore
the [old] system files, you wasted your time.) And I definitely do not
recommend copying boot sectors from one disk to another.

gmat@wuibc.UUCP (Gregory Martin Amaya Tormo) (09/24/88)

In article <10183@vrdxhq.UUCP> tom@vrdxhq.UUCP (Tom Welsh) writes:
>I have a problem.
>
>I have a Compaq Deskpro, 8086-based, with a 20 MB hard disk.  A couple of
>to PC-DOS 3.3.  Since that time, the machine will NOT boot from the
>hard disk.  It will boot fine from my 3.3 PCDOS floppy.  After booting,
>NOthing.  If I try to boot off the hard disk, it just hangs, forever --
>stick a 3.3 floppy in -- CTRL-ALT-DEL and everything is fine, including
>hard disk access.

	Use FDISK to activate the hard disk partition.  I will bet it shows you
your hard disk partition but not that it is active.  It must be made active in
order for the computer to know to look for DOS.

	dwd0238@wucec1.wustl
	David Deitch, Fido 1:100/22

ps. This is posted since I seem to not be able to mail out (reply) via UUCP.