[comp.sys.ibm.pc] An advertisement I'd like to see

bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) (09/21/88)

From Ted Holden at HTE:

     Is anybody from Tandy, Dell, Compaq. etc. etc. out there
with their ears on??  I get sick at my stomach watching IBM's LCD
(least-common-denominator) Mash ads on TV, and it bothers me that
I don't see any advertising from clone makers.  The following is
more or less an idea for an advertisement which I would like to
see on television someday soon, patterned after the ads which Lee
Iacocca does for Chrysler.  The ad begins with Mr. X, the
president of Clones Inc. standing center-stage, a Larson E.
Pettifogger character (obviously a lawyer) on his right, and
another character, (obviously a scientist), on his left.

     "Hello, I'm John X, president of Clones Incorporated.  Here
at Clones Incorporated, we have lawyers (nods at Larson E.
Pettifogger who smiles) and engineers (nods at the engineer who
smiles) just like most of our competitors.  What I'm here to tell
the world is that, here at Clones Incorporated, our lawyers fight
legal battles and our engineers design computers, which is the
way it should be (lawyer and engineer both nod agreement).  Now,
some of our competitors seem to have gotten away from this basic
rule of technical management these days;  they've been having
their lawyers design their computers, because their basic
objective is to produce computers which cannot legally be copied
or cloned".

     "We at Clones Incorporated beleive this is bad for the
industry, and bad for you, the customer.  It drives prices up,
and it limits innovation as well as access to the field and,
ultimately, weakens America's competitive position in the world.
We at Clones Incorporated will never do business that way;  our
lawyers will ALWAYS handle legal matters and our Engineers will
ALWAYS design our computers.  We will ALWAYS try to provide you
the customer with high quality, cost effective computer
solutions, based on open systems and standards.  Thank you"

Ted Holden
HTE

hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) (09/21/88)

In article <144@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:

>From Ted Holden at HTE:
>
>     "Hello, I'm John X, president of Clones Incorporated.  Here
>at Clones Incorporated, we have lawyers (nods at Larson E.
>Pettifogger who smiles) and engineers (nods at the engineer who
>smiles) just like most of our competitors.  What I'm here to tell

This is a fine idea, but it would be even finer if there were many
engineers and 1 lawyer.  That would drive the point home more
clearly.

Herb Lison

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (09/22/88)

}>From Ted Holden at HTE:
}>

Then hlison@bbn.com (Herb Lison) writes:
}
}This is a fine idea, but it would be even finer if there were many
}engineers and 1 lawyer.  That would drive the point home more
}clearly.

This won't work.  It'd run afoul of the Truth-in-Advertising laws....
:-(

Actually, I do see computer adverts by Tandy, Compaq, etc.  Like Apple
(and that other company with the initials, what's its name?), their
marketing is aimed at the football-watching business crowd, and any
scientific types would be completely out of place.  I don't think IBM
(ohyeah, THAT's the name) is really much worse than the cloners, they're
just more successful.  It's all MBA behavior, though.
--
--    bob,mon			(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
--    "Aristotle was not Belgian..."	- Wanda

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (09/22/88)

In article <144@imspw6.UUCP> bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) writes:
>From Ted Holden at HTE:
>with their ears on??  I get sick at my stomach watching IBM's LCD
>(least-common-denominator) Mash ads on TV, and it bothers me that
>I don't see any advertising from clone makers.  The following is

Do you want to see advertising, or buy high-quality equipment at
prices which don't involve a television ad budget?

Fred Sullivan				SUNY at Binghamton
Dept. Math. Sciences			Binghamton, NY 13903
					sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu
First you make a roux!

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (09/22/88)

This is somewhat off the topic, but I saw an interesting thing
at an IBM "product fair" at our university on Monday: IBM'ers
wearing T-shirts and blue jeans. (Most T shirts were orange and blue...
wonder why.) Anyway, one guy was wearing a suit (but no tie). He
informed me that OS/2 fully supported the native 32-bit protected
mode of the 80386, and indeed that OS/2 was really INTENDED to
be for the 386 and only supported the 286 "as an extra bonus".
I asked him if there were any compilers that would generate 32bit
code, both 32 bit integers and 32bit linear address pointers.
He showed me a book and pointed to IBM's C/2 compiler, and said
it was just what I needed.

OK, knowledgeable folks out there on the net, am I correct that
there is something terribly wrong with his description of OS/2?

Doug McDonald

P.S. The guy gave me his card. His title is
"Area Marketing Support Representative
North Central Marketing Division".

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (09/23/88)

In article <144@imspw6.UUCP>, bob@imspw6.UUCP (Bob Burch) wrote:

> From Ted Holden at HTE:

>      Is anybody from Tandy, Dell, Compaq. etc. etc. out there
> with their ears on??

There are people from Tandy who are regular posters.  Dell has a
machine on the net now.  I was just hired at Dell this morning.  So
there are some clone-types out there.  I don't know about Compaq, but
I'm sure there are some of them around too.

Nobody tells us software hacks why they do what they do in marketing,
but I only have to guess IBM does so much more advertising because IBM
is selling more than just micros.  Indeed I've heard it described before
that micros are just a PR effort for IBM to sell mainframes and minis.
IBM can write off the cost of selling their name over the entire product
line, whereas the cloners only sell micros.

PS. Come Monday morning on my first day of work, I imagine the words
   "clone", "PCs Ltd" and "mail order" will disappear from my vocabulary. :-)
--
James R. Van Artsdalen	...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james	"Live Free or Die"
Phone: 512-346-2444		  10926 Jollyville Rd #901 Austin TX 78759

jmbj@whuts.UUCP (BITTMAN) (09/23/88)

> Nobody tells us software hacks why they do what they do in marketing,
> but I only have to guess IBM does so much more advertising because IBM
> is selling more than just micros.  Indeed I've heard it described before
> that micros are just a PR effort for IBM to sell mainframes and minis.
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm not sure exactly where I saw it, but recently I saw a pie-chart of
IBM's revenues.  The micro portion was around 6.5 BILLION, and that
amounted to I think about a 1/4 of IBM's total, the numbers are
probably not totally accurate, but one thing for sure is that IBM
does NEED its micro income.

Jim Bittman, whuts!jmbj

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (09/23/88)

In article <45900152@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>[stuff del]  Anyway, one guy was wearing a suit (but no tie). He
>informed me that OS/2 fully supported the native 32-bit protected
>mode of the 80386, and indeed that OS/2 was really INTENDED to
>be for the 386 and only supported the 286 "as an extra bonus".
>I asked him if there were any compilers that would generate 32bit
>code, both 32 bit integers and 32bit linear address pointers.
>He showed me a book and pointed to IBM's C/2 compiler, and said
>it was just what I needed.
>OK, knowledgeable folks out there on the net, am I correct that
>there is something terribly wrong with his description of OS/2?
>Doug McDonald

While I certainly wouldn't have the comeuppance to contradict someone
from IBM...

If MS and IBM had skipped the 286 and written OS/3 instead, we
would have had it long, long ago.  The reason that it is so difficult
is the slightly brain-damaged 286, which requires all sorts of tricks to
be useful in this kind of app. For example, to switch from prot to real
mode requires resetting the the processor.  It was only designed to go
from real to prot.  You can't really blame Intel, the 286 hit the market
about the time the PC and MS-DOS really got popular.    Most of these
problems are fixed in the 386.

MS seems to be hinting that OS/2.386 will be out 1Q89.   We'll see.
That should greatly improve the performance of the penalty box, since
the 386 has a real live working virtual 86 mode. ( see Windows386)

IBMers wearing jeans???? Must have been Apple guys playing a joke.

cris

--
||...despair! Despair I can handle, it's the hope...    J.Cleese,Clockwise ||
Cris Simpson

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (09/24/88)

In article <8350@bigtex.uucp> james@bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>There are people from Tandy who are regular posters.  Dell has a
>machine on the net now.  I was just hired at Dell this morning.

Since you work at Dell, could you please tell them that "PC's Ltd."
is not correct? It should be "PCs Ltd.", as you use in your article.

--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

yelorose@juniper.uucp (Bob Mosley III) (09/24/88)

In article <23013@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <8350@bigtex.uucp> james@bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
> >There are people from Tandy who are regular posters.  Dell has a
> >machine on the net now.  I was just hired at Dell this morning.
>
> Since you work at Dell, could you please tell them that "PC's Ltd."
> is not correct? It should be "PCs Ltd.", as you use in your article.

...uh, actually, shouldn't that be spelled "Garbage" or "Flimsy" or even
"Dull Computing"?

(sorry, I've had too many bad experiences with PC's Howeveritsspelled, and
any chance I get to flame the protrooditsim for their shoddy work!

...a no-prize for anyone who can translate what protrooditsim means!)

							OM

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (09/24/88)

In article <23013@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) wrote:

> Since you work at Dell, could you please tell them that "PC's Ltd."
> is not correct? It should be "PCs Ltd.", as you use in your article.

I think I'll wait until my second week on the job before sending
Micheal a memo on his spelling.  :-)

When asked why he spelling the name that way, he told a reporter for
the Austin American-Statesman that he wasn't a very good speller.

And in any case it's a moot point as the official company name has
always been Dell Computer Corporation, and they now sell under that
name instead of PC's Ltd.  Probably sounds better when they try to
sell big orders to big companies.