[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Procomm command files

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (09/09/88)

could someone give me a summary of how to use command files in procomm?

thanks...

swillett@violet.berkeley.edu (09/09/88)

In article <1825@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>could someone give me a summary of how to use command files in procomm?
>
>thanks...

You create a text file using the syntax described in the PROCOMM documentation:

IF CONNECTED
   WAITFOR "request:"
   IF WAITFOR
      TRANSMIT "hostid!"
      WAITFOR "login:"
      IF WAITFOR
         TRANSMIT "userid!"
         WAITFOR "password:"
         IF WAITFOR
            TRANSMIT "mypasswd!"
         ENDIF
      ENDIF
   ENDIF
ENDIF

This file should have the "CMD" extent.  You then can execute it with the
Alt-F5 command or you can have it automatically run by linking it to a
dialing directory entry.

Hope this helps

marv@grebyn.COM (Marvin Raab) (09/11/88)

In article <14062@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> swillett@violet.berkeley.edu writes:

>This file should have the "CMD" extent.  You then can execute it with the
>Alt-F5 command or you can have it automatically run by linking it to a
>dialing directory entry.

     Isn't the proper extension .ASP?

                 -marvin

--
Marvin Raab                  Arlington, VA 22202                (703) 521-5449
...uunet!vsedev!grebyn!marv                 +--------------------------------+

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (09/11/88)

these command files could probably be quite versatile, if you
can use them for more than just reading and writing simple
text strings...  does anyone know if it is possible to start
a kermit download from within a procomm command file?  could someone
post the entire command language that procomm can understand?

i may even end up shelling out $50 to get the manual for procomm,
if it turns out that these command files are really whiz-bang.
is 2.4.2 the latest version?  how is the official documentation?

thanks, folks!

xspolsky%yale-zoo-suned@CS.YALE.EDU (Avram Spolsky) (09/11/88)

In article <1831@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
| these command files could probably be quite versatile, if you
| can use them for more than just reading and writing simple
| text strings...  does anyone know if it is possible to start
| a kermit download from within a procomm command file?

Yes, all kermit commands can be initiated by a CMD file.

|                                                        could someone
| post the entire command language that procomm can understand?

No. :-)
Basically it'll do anything you can do by hand, plus some simple (but
sufficient) flow control and a few variables.

| i may even end up shelling out $50 to get the manual for procomm,
| if it turns out that these command files are really whiz-bang.

The public domain distribution comes with the manual on the disk, so
buy yourself a printer ribbon for $5 and print it out yourself.

| is 2.4.2 the latest version?

No, there's a version called Procomm Plus which is not shareware - it
costs about $70. Many people have complained that Procomm+ is buggy
and has an even more inconsistent user interface than 2.4.2.

|                               how is the official documentation?

fine.

| thanks, folks!

welcome. BUT I wholeheartedly recommend kermit-2.31 over Procomm,
unless you need other transfer protocols besides kermit. The manual is
better, the user interface is somewhat more consistent (although it's
weak in auto dialing, which means you'll probably have to write some
scripts), and the script language is stronger.

Joel Spolsky             bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky
Yale University          arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483

-- ``You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause
-- some watery tart threw a sword at you!!''

(load "standard disclaimer")

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (09/12/88)

the ASP extented applies to Procomm Plus whereas the CMD applies to
earlier revisions, ie 2.4.2.

-----------------------------
 \   As Kurgan would say:    \             Vaprak@Cup.Portal.Com
  \                           \          Sun!Cup.Portal.Com!Vaprak
   \   There Can Be Only One!  \
    \___________________________\   ** The Highlander Should Have Died **

eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) (09/13/88)

In article <8994@cup.portal.com> Vaprak@cup.portal.com writes:
>the ASP extented applies to Procomm Plus whereas the CMD applies to
>earlier revisions, ie 2.4.2.

	details please.  what additional whizbang stuff can
	Procomm Plus do?  i have 2.4.2 and have tried a few CMD
	files.  could someone please post the languages for CMD
	and ASP files?  can i start procomm and automatically invoke
	a command file which will dial for me?  i've only been
	able to start them manually...  thanks!

marv@grebyn.COM (Marvin Raab) (09/15/88)

In article <1852@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>	  can i start procomm and automatically invoke
>	a command file which will dial for me?  i've only been
>	able to start them manually...  thanks!

     Entering PCPLUS /Fxyz.asp at the DOS prompt will invoke procomm
and automatically execute xyz.asp.

Here's one I can't figure out: Why does my computer screw up Procomm and
Pcplus sounds *sometimes*? (The sounds sound like they're muffled).

                      -marvin

--

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (09/15/88)

In article <11046@grebyn.COM> marv@grebyn (Marvin Raab) writes:
>In article <1852@spdcc.COM> eli@spdcc.COM (Steve Elias) writes:
>Here's one I can't figure out: Why does my computer screw up Procomm and
>Pcplus sounds *sometimes*? (The sounds sound like they're muffled).

Versions 1.0 and 1.1 of Procomm+ had a bug in the 'beep' routine that
would simultaneously crank the duration down and the frequency up
until all you got was a clicking sound. This was a problem on long
file uploads/downloads, because you couldn't hear the clicking unless
you were listening closely in the same room as the computer. I received
a disk in the mail from Datastorm a couple of months ago that contained
a patch for Procomm+ v1.1 (new v1.1a) that fixed the beep bug and a
couple of others that I hadn't run across yet.

I find that the attitude Datastorm Technologies takes toward
supporting the Procomm+ package to be a refreshing change from some of
the larger software development houses that will admit that they have
a bug fix release available after you find out about it in a computer
journal, but charge you for receiving the bug fix.

	Sean Malloy
	Navy Personnel Research & Development Center
	San Diego, CA 92152-6800
	malloy@nprdc.arpa

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (09/21/88)

Steve Elias was requesting the docs for Procomm 2.4.2 so they follow
in next message in UUENCODE format.

Also, Steve,
to run a cmd file from the directory, when entering your phone numbers
Procomm asks you for a Command file..  usually, ones just hits RETURN
unless he wants to run one when the connection is established, so,
enter in the name of the cmd file (do put the extender) when you are
revising the phone number.  when the connection is made, procomm will
look in the current directory for the cmd file.  it must be in your
current directory and have the extender .CMD.  also note, when you
change ANYTHING on procomm, you MUST exit the program normally ie,
ALT X in order to close the files and save any changes you have made.

look for the docs sent as PRODOC.UUE

Vaprak@cup.portal.com
Sun!cup.portal.com!Vaprak

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) (09/22/88)

In article <9316@cup.portal.com>, Vaprak@cup.portal.com writes...

]when the connection is made, procomm will
]look in the current directory for the cmd file.  it must be in your
]current directory and have the extender .CMD.

Ah, if you do

   set procomm=c:\comm\

to define the enviornment variable procomm (and note well the
trailing backslash!), you can invoke procomm from anywhere and
it will know where to find its parameter, command, and other
files.  Of course you put whatever path *you* keep the stuff in.
Oops -- also need to declare that directory in the PATH as well.

==Jess Anderson======(home:)========INTERNET: anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu====
| 1210 W. Dayton     2838 Stevens   UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,allegra,ucbvax} |
| Madison, WI 53706  Madison 53705   !uwvax!vms3.macc.wisc.edu!anderson    |
==608/263-6988=======608/238-4833===BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc===============

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) (09/22/88)

In article <700@dogie.edu>, anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson, MACC) writes...

]In article <9316@cup.portal.com>, Vaprak@cup.portal.com writes...
]
]]when the connection is made, procomm will
]]look in the current directory for the cmd file.  it must be in your
]]current directory and have the extender .CMD.
]
Sorry to followup to my own article, but I certainly put it a clumsy
way earlier.  In the interest of greater clarity, here's the info again:

Assuming you keep Procomm and all its parameter, command, and other
work files in directory C:\COMM, you can call Procomm from any current
drive and directory if you have that path in your environment (one usually
does these declarations in autoexec.bat):

   path=.......;C:\COMM;.......

   set procomm=C:\COMM\

the first of which enables the shell to find PROCOMM.EXE at loading time,
while the other enables Procomm to find its work files.

==Jess Anderson======(home:)========INTERNET: anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu====
| 1210 W. Dayton     2838 Stevens   UUCP: {harvard,rutgers,allegra,ucbvax} |
| Madison, WI 53706  Madison 53705   !uwvax!vms3.macc.wisc.edu!anderson    |
==608/263-6988=======608/238-4833===BITNET: anderson@wiscmacc===============

Vaprak@cup.portal.com (09/25/88)

well, I haven't tried using the SET command with Procomm...
I use a batch file to change my current dir to C:\Procomm and then
run Procomm from within that directory...  This means of course that
I have to keep all of my CMD files in that same dir.

Vaprak@cup.portal.com
Sun!cup.portal.com!Vaprak