[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Seagate ST-251 question

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/21/88)

The ST-251 has 820 cylinders, 4 heads, and 17 sectors per track.
It has a 40 ms access time with a 3-200 microsecond step pulse
rate.

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics
			Science, Technology, and Society
			University of Illinois

			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

rjs@moss.ATT.COM (09/21/88)

In article <16800373@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>The ST-251 has 820 cylinders, 4 heads, and 17 sectors per track.
>It has a 40 ms access time with a 3-200 microsecond step pulse
>rate.
>
>			Mike Berger
>			Department of Statistics
>			Science, Technology, and Society
>			University of Illinois

A quick calculation will show that the above information cannot be correct.
4*820*17*512(sector size)=28,549,120 bytes, a bit short of the advertized
40M.  The ST-251 definintely has 6 heads and 17 sectors/track.  The number
815 sticks in my mind as the number of cylinders, but 820 may well be
correct.  (Actually, the 17 sectors/track is a property of the formatting
program, but is the value to use if you want the rated capacity).

	Robert Snyder
	{att|ihnp4|clyde}!moss!rjs
	(201) 386-4467

The above statements are my own thoughts and observations and are not
intended to represent my employer's position on the subject(s).

dougm@venus.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (09/21/88)

In article <16800373@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>The ST-251 has 820 cylinders, 4 heads, and 17 sectors per track.
                               ~~~~~~~~
My book shows that it has 6 heads.

---
Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!venus!dougm>
FAX 485-3788

woodman@suvax1.UUCP (David Woodman) (09/26/88)

> In article <16800373@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>The ST-251 has 820 cylinders, 4 heads, and 17 sectors per track.
>                                ~~~~~~~~
> My book shows that it has 6 heads.

  And the ST-251 only has 17 sectors per track IF formatted by an
  MFM controller. It will have 26 sectors per track if formatted by
  an RLL controller. I know, I know, the ST-251 is spec'd as an MFM
  drive but a friend of mine is running it on an RLL controller.
  I don't advocate it, but it seems to work.

  (P.S. The ST-251 seems to come in two flavors, 40ms & 28ms. When I
   bought mine, it turned out to be 28ms but was charged for the 40ms.
   Either the company did not know the difference or there is something
   I don't know about.)

 David Woodman		UUCP:    ...!uw-entropy!dataio!suvax1!woodman
 Seattle University	USNail:  P.O. Box 23202, Seattle WA 98102
 			Phone:	 (206) 223-9470

sarathy@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Rajiv Sarathy) (09/26/88)

>  (P.S. The ST-251 seems to come in two flavors, 40ms & 28ms. When I
>   bought mine, it turned out to be 28ms but was charged for the 40ms.
>   Either the company did not know the difference or there is something
>   I don't know about.)

> David Woodman		UUCP:    ...!uw-entropy!dataio!suvax1!woodman

The ST-251 is a 39ms drive.
The ST-251-1 is a 28 ms drive.

How many people have used RLL encoding on their ST-251?  A vendor here advised
me not to, saying the hard drive would probably die on me within 6 months.  He
suggested buying an ST-251-R, which he said is better suited to RLL.

Any opinions?

Please e-mail to  sarathy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
If that doesn't work (it's a new address) then try  sarathy@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

Using 'R'eply from  rn  will probably not work due to the  UUCP  addition to
the Reply-To field, above.

Thanks,
--Raj

-----