[comp.sys.ibm.pc] TRS Xenix -> IBM DOS Conversion

burgin@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Robert Burgin) (09/14/88)

I have a client who currently has a TRS Model II running
Xenix.  The system has a hard disk and an 8" floppy drive.

He would like to convert some rather large files to DOS
so that he can set up the data on an IBM PC or clone of
some sort.

Is this do-able?  With ease?

Any clues would be most appreciated.

--rb

lester@ka3adu.UUCP (lester) (09/16/88)

In article <5324@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, burgin@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Robert Burgin) writes:

> I have a client who currently has a TRS Model II running
> Xenix.  The system has a hard disk and an 8" floppy drive.
> He would like to convert some rather large files to DOS
> so that he can set up the data on an IBM PC or clone of
> some sort.

If what he wants to use are ascii files or can be turned into ascii,
just log into the system from a clone using a term program. Turn on the
capture mode on the clone, then cat the file and capture it on the clone.
That's how we've been doing it at work.
					Bob
					uunet!ka3adu!lester

mikes@ncoast.UUCP (Mike Squires) (09/27/88)

In article <469@ka3adu.UUCP> lester@ka3adu.UUCP (lester) writes:
>In article <5324@ecsvax.uncecs.edu>, burgin@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Robert Burgin) writes:
>>
>> I have a client who currently has a TRS Model II running
>> Xenix.  The system has a hard disk and an 8" floppy drive.
>> He would like to convert some rather large files to DOS
>> so that he can set up the data on an IBM PC or clone of
>> some sort.

I can supply XMODEM and Kermit binaries on RS XENIX 8" diskettes if you send
them to me with a self-addressed and stamped mailer.  I run both XMODEM and
kermit at 9600 between a 16B+ and various PC clones (to tell the truth, I'm
using a PS 2/70 16MHz as a terminal connected to a 6000 as I *hate* using
MS-DOS - it makes a mediocre terminal :-) ).   The standard UNIX sources
compile under XENIX without problems (there is a 68K XENIX define in
the Kermit distribution, umodem40/41.c and sz/rz also work fine.

Mike Squires Allegheny College Meadville, PA 16335 814 724 3360
uucp: ..!cwjcc!ncoast!{mikes,peng!sir-alan!mikes} or ..!pitt!sir-alan!mikes
BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX) MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Internet: sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu
known in the SCA as Sir Alan Culross, Earl Marshall of the Middle Kingdon