[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Patching PC-DOS 3.3/4.0 for DRIVPARM

mshiels@watmath.waterloo.edu (Michael A. Shiels) (09/24/88)

Does anyone know the locations for the patches for these versions of DOS??  I have
been using DRIVPARM to give me 720K diskettes (using DD disks) in a 1.2M drive.

--
  Michael A. Shiels
  mshiels@watmath.waterloo.EDU

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (09/25/88)

In article <21083@watmath.waterloo.edu> mshiels@watmath.waterloo.edu (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
...Does anyone know the locations for the patches for these versions of DOS??  I have
...been using DRIVPARM to give me 720K diskettes (using DD disks) in a 1.2M drive.

I don't know how you get those 3.5" disks to stay in the 5.25" drive,
but if you want to make 3.3 see a 720k dribe using DRIVPARM, using
device=DRIVPARM {args}, change the = to three ^As.

Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Technology Division                   ...!att!jonlab!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334
1200 Old Trenton Road           GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
Trenton, NJ 08690               Voice: 1-609-586-4800

bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) (09/27/88)

In article <166@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> In article <21083@watmath.waterloo.edu> mshiels@watmath.waterloo.edu (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
> ...Does anyone know the locations for the patches for these versions of DOS??  I have
> ...been using DRIVPARM to give me 720K diskettes (using DD disks) in a 1.2M drive.
>
> I don't know how you get those 3.5" disks to stay in the 5.25" drive,
> but if you want to make 3.3 see a 720k dribe using DRIVPARM, using
> device=DRIVPARM {args}, change the = to three ^As.

This seems a bit cryptic.  If you have the "generic" Microsoft version
of MS-DOS 3.30, you can get a free upgrade to 3.30A which fixes
DRIVPARM and BACKUP and a few other things which I forget.

Just call the Microsoft customer service number or contact them via
CompuServe.  The latter worked better for me (i.e., I got the upgrade
after exchanging CIS mail with some Microsoft guy long after I had
given up on getting it from the phone guy).

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@acornrc.uucp

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (09/27/88)

In article <1019@acornrc.UUCP> bob@acornrc.UUCP (Bob Weissman) writes:
...In article <166@mccc.UUCP>, pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
...> In article <21083@watmath.waterloo.edu> mshiels@watmath.waterloo.edu (Michael A. Shiels) writes:
...> ...Does anyone know the locations for the patches for these versions of DOS??  I have
...> ...been using DRIVPARM to give me 720K diskettes (using DD disks) in a 1.2M drive.
...>
...> I don't know how you get those 3.5" disks to stay in the 5.25" drive,
...> but if you want to make 3.3 see a 720k dribe using DRIVPARM, using
...> device=DRIVPARM {args}, change the = to three ^As.
...This seems a bit cryptic.  If you have the "generic" Microsoft version
...of MS-DOS 3.30, you can get a free upgrade to 3.30A which fixes
...DRIVPARM and BACKUP and a few other things which I forget.
...Just call the Microsoft customer service number or contact them via
...CompuServe.  The latter worked better for me (i.e., I got the upgrade
...after exchanging CIS mail with some Microsoft guy long after I had
...given up on getting it from the phone guy).

Bob,
	You're on a UNIX medium and you complain about a PCDOS fix being
cryptic????  <giggle>
	Cryptic or not, it is the fix being promulgated by the gurus on
the IBMNET of CompuServe.
	I'm running PCDOS 3.3 and the fix works fine.  But of course if
there is an OFFICIAL fix....