[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Request Filename Completion

burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett) (09/20/88)

I am in search of a program which will allow filename completion from the
command line under DOS 3.2 or above.  I have become very spoiled since
using tcsh under UNIX.  I am aware of CED and its forward and backward
command history but their must be a "true" completion program out there
somewhere (similiar to that found in EMACS).

Any information would be appreciated by all.

Post for all or send mail to:
burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (09/20/88)

There's a freely-available TSR program called "history" that gives a
history-style mechanism with Tenex-style filename completion.  I like
it a lot.  The previous-command finding/editing functionality is
superior to CED's in my opinion (although CED also does lots of other
neat things that history doesn't do).  I think have a version 1.4; I'm
not at home so I can't check the author's name.  It comes with TurboC
source code.
--
--    bob,mon			(bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu)
--    "Aristotle was not Belgian..."	- Wanda

dave@sun.soe (Dave Goldblatt) (09/21/88)

From article <12905@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, by bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante):
> There's a freely-available TSR program called "history" that gives a
> history-style mechanism with Tenex-style filename completion.  I like
> it a lot.  The previous-command finding/editing functionality is
> superior to CED's in my opinion (although CED also does lots of other
> neat things that history doesn't do).  I think have a version 1.4; I'm
> not at home so I can't check the author's name.  It comes with TurboC
> source code.

The HISTORY program is available for anonymous ftp from sun.soe.clarkson.edu,
as /pub/pc/comp.binaries.ibm.pc/history.arc.

Included are the executables, and source for Turbo C.  Memory usage is
around 8K in the latest version (1.4), down from about 27K in previous
versions.

The author of version 1.4 is Russell Nelson (nelson@clutx.clarkson.edu).

-dg-

--

Internet: dave@sun.soe.clarkson.edu    or:   dave@clutx.clarkson.edu
BITNET:   dave@CLUTX.Bitnet            uucp: {rpics, gould}!clutx!dave

burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett) (09/22/88)

I would like to summarize the information I have received personally
dealing with filename completion on PC's.

Three programs have been suggested over and over.....

They include:

1) HISTORY.ARC
2) FILEC.ARC
3) MKS Toolkit

HISTORY

        Copyright 1985-6  Michael M. Rubenstein

        HISTORY is a history processing terminate and stay resident
        program.  It provides the ability to recall and edit previous
        commands and allows much more sophisticated editing than is found
        in the normal MSDOS system.

Filename completion in HISTORY is limited to those filenames which have
already been accessed and are in the history buffer.

HISTORY.ARC is available from SIMTEL by FTP

FILEC

                        FILEC Version 1.00
                         By Mike Morearty

FILEC stands  for  Filename  Completion.  This  program  provides
filename completion similar to that done by some versions of  the
Unix C Shell (also called "Tenex-style" completion).

It will complete any filename in the present directory and also provides
Directory and Sub-directory name completion.  It works  nicely but does not
include the fancy editing features of HISTORY.  It may be used in combination
with other command line editors.

(This is the program I choose!!)

FILEC.ARC is available from SIMTEL by FTP

MKS Toolkit

>The MKS Toolkit includes the Korn shell, which offers many features of
>the cshell, including command completion, command history, command line
>editing, etc.

>We have some literature that we could send you. If you're interested, drop
>me a line with your mailing address and I'll get it out to you.
>--

>     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
>Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels
>   35 King St. North                             BIX: join mks
>Waterloo, Ontario  N2J 2W9                  CompuServe: 73260,1043

Thanks again for all the replies!!!

                _________                      ________
               ||         \\                / ||       \
               ||          \\              /  ||        )
               ||________   \\            /   ||_______/
               ||            \\    /\    /    ||       \
               ||             \\  /  \  /     ||        )
               ||________  *   \\/    \/  *   ||_______/   *

burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett)
Dept. Biological Sciences
Rm. 178 Lapham

In article <6859@uwmcsd1.UUCP> burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett) writes in part:

   Three programs have been suggested over and over.....

   HISTORY

	   Copyright 1985-6  Michael M. Rubenstein

	   HISTORY is a history processing terminate and stay resident
	   program.  It provides the ability to recall and edit previous
	   commands and allows much more sophisticated editing than is found
	   in the normal MSDOS system.

   Filename completion in HISTORY is limited to those filenames which have
   already been accessed and are in the history buffer.

   HISTORY.ARC is available from SIMTEL by FTP

I modified History to provide for filename completion.  It was posted
some time ago on c.b.i.p, and it's archived on sun.soe.clarkson.edu,
pub/pc/comp.binaries.ibm.pc/history.arc.  If you can't ftp, send me
mail and I'll put it up on the CUHUG BBS and you can call in and get it.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Shuzan held out his short staff and said, "If you call this a short staff,

hardin@hpindda.HP.COM (John Hardin) (09/24/88)

> I am in search of a program which will allow filename completion from the
> command line under DOS 3.2 or above.
>
> burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett)
>----------

My favorite is called FILEC by Mike Morearty at Berkeley.  Esc key
triggers file name completion.  ^D lists files that could match.
I've tried HISTORY and I still prefer the CED and FILEC combination.

John Hardin   hardin%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com
----------

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (09/26/88)

Apologies if this is a dead issue by now, but...

burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett) writes:

>        Copyright 1985-6  Michael M. Rubenstein
>
>        HISTORY is a history processing terminate and stay resident
>        program.  It provides the ability to recall and edit previous
>        commands and allows much more sophisticated editing than is found
>        in the normal MSDOS system.
>
>Filename completion in HISTORY is limited to those filenames which have
>already been accessed and are in the history buffer.

As of v1.3R, which was done by Russell Nelson, HISTORY includes
TENEX-style filename completion.  (NOT just those which have been
previously accessed).  This also works for subdirectories and files in
subdirectories, on a level-by-level basis.  E.g., hit <F7> to complete
a name which happens to be a subdirectory, specify some amount of name,
hit <F7> to complete as much of that name as is unique . . . until you
have what you want.  It's currently at (or beyond) v1.4, and has been
ported from Aztec C to TurboC.  Source is included.

The ability to retrieve-and-edit-or-modify arbitrary previous commands
by typing initial letters is what has kept me from switching to CED  (I
do miss the alias feature occasionally, tho'.)
--

pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) (09/27/88)

In article <NELSON.88Sep22153644@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
-> In article <6859@uwmcsd1.UUCP> burkett@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Edward W Burkett) writes in part:
-> I modified History to provide for filename completion.  It was posted
-> some time ago on c.b.i.p, and it's archived on sun.soe.clarkson.edu,
-> pub/pc/comp.binaries.ibm.pc/history.arc.  If you can't ftp, send me
-> mail and I'll put it up on the CUHUG BBS and you can call in and get it.

Is there any chance you could post it here to USENET??  I'm sure there are
a few other interested in this.

-------
Paul Kopp                                   The opinions (if any) expressed
Gould Inc., Computer Systems Division       are my own.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Mail paths?, oh yea mail paths:   ...!{sun,uunet,pur-ee,brl-bmd}!gould!pkopp
                                  ...!{ihnp4!codas,allegra}!novavax!gould!pkopp

In article <1309@potpourri.UUCP> pkopp@potpourri.UUCP (Paul Kopp) writes:

   In article <NELSON.88Sep22153644@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
   -> I modified History to provide for filename completion.  It was posted
   -> some time ago on c.b.i.p, and it's archived on sun.soe.clarkson.edu,
   -> pub/pc/comp.binaries.ibm.pc/history.arc.  If you can't ftp, send me
   -> mail and I'll put it up on the CUHUG BBS and you can call in and get it.

   Is there any chance you could post it here to USENET??  I'm sure there are
   a few other interested in this.

Nope--it's already BEEN posted.  You can either ftp in and get it, or
else call the BBS.  I have put history.arc in the c.b.i.p archives on
grape:

The semi-official c.b.i.p archives are on grape.ecs.clarkson.edu which
is a Zenith Z-248 running a modified version of KA9Q's TCP/IP NET that
allows you to shell out to DOS while still processing packets.  After
shelling to DOS, we run an Opus BBS.  The particulars:

FTP: grape.ecs.clarkson.edu [128.153.13.196], user anonymous, password guest.
     Look in /d/files/general/cuhug.lst for a listing of files.
     Look in /e/files/binaries/*.* for c.b.i.p postings.
Opus: 260/360 in the Nodelist.  (315)268-6667, 8N1, 1200/2400 Baud, 24 hours.
     Look in file area 26 for c.b.i.p postings.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
To surrender is to remain in the hands of barbarians for the rest of my life.