[comp.sys.ibm.pc] OS/2 Newsgroup

murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) (02/09/88)

Anybody ready for an OS/2 newsgroup?  I just started using  OS/2 and I am
already loaded with questions.  It seems to me that since this group is very
swamped with DOS specific topics that a seperate newgroup would be appropriate.
I am sure that not everybody wants to start discussing OS/2 related topics here.
Any sugggestions or votes??

--
  ------------ Rodrigo Murillo, UC - Boulder  (303)761-0410 ------------
   murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU   -or-  ..{hao|nbires}!boulder!murillo

Robert_C_Tellefson@cup.portal.com (02/10/88)

It most definitely is time for an OS/2 group.  Glad you brought it
up - been meaning to myself.

I've been going over the OS/2 developers kit for that last couple of
weeks.  The documentation is pretty weak; seems we could benefit from
sharing experiences.

Anyone else out there?

Robert 'Bob' Tellefson           uucp:  tellefson@cup.portal.com
RCT Design                 Compuserve:  73417,545
                                Genie:  R.TELLEFSON
                                Voice:  (408) 749-9826
                                 USPS:  663 S. Bernardo #7
                                        Sunnyvale, CA 94087

hollen@corona.megatek.uucp (Dion Hollenbeck) (02/11/88)

In article <4209@sigi.Colorado.EDU> murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU
    (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
>Anybody ready for an OS/2 newsgroup?  I just started using  OS/2 and I am
>already loaded with questions.  It seems to me that since this group is very
>swamped with DOS specific topics that a seperate newgroup would
>be appropriate.
>I am sure that not everybody wants to start discussing OS/2
>related topics here.
>Any sugggestions or votes??

I don't care about OS/2, so you have my whole-hearted support to
start a new group.  I would rather not have to paw through a bunch
of OS/2 stuff in which I am not interested.  YES! YES! YES!

	Dion Hollenbeck             (619) 455-5590 x2814
	Megatek Corporation, 9645 Scranton Road, San Diego, CA  92121
			    ames!scubed!
		{sdcsvax,hplabs}!hp-sdd!megatek!hollen
			 sdcsvax!esosun!

leefi@microsoft.UUCP (Lee Fisher) (02/11/88)

In article <4209@sigi.Colorado.EDU>, murillo@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
> Anybody ready for an OS/2 newsgroup? I just started using OS/2 and I
> am already loaded with questions. It seems to me that since this
> group is very swamped with DOS specific topics that a seperate
> newgroup would be appropriate. I am sure that not everybody wants to
> start discussing OS/2 related topics here. Any sugggestions or
> votes??

I'd like to see one. I'd *try* to do as much as I can to have valid
complaints regarding the Microsoft implementations of OS/2 heard,
unofficially, of course (I don't get *paid* for reading and answering
questions on usenet!).

-Lee
________
01001100  Lee Fisher, Microsoft Corp., Redmond, WA.
01000101  {uw-beaver,decvax,decwrl,trsvax,sun,attunix,uunet}!microsof!leefi
01000101  leefi@microsof.uucp
01000110  leefi@microsof.beaver.washington.edu
01001001  disclaimer: My opinions are my own, not those of my employer.

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/12/88)

In article <4209@sigi.Colorado.EDU> murillo@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rodrigo Murillo) writes:
|Anybody ready for an OS/2 newsgroup?
|Any sugggestions or votes??

Yes, I suggest we call it comp.sys.ibm.pc.half.osd. :-)

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

jxh@cup.portal.com (09/28/88)

Is there an OS/2 newsgroup, and if not, Why not?  I am about to take the
plunge, and am looking for some moral (and technical) support.  I had hoped
that there would already be a fund of information about which versions
supplied by whom contain what (e.g. IBM OS/2EE 1.0: Presentation Mgr, LAN
Mgr?  MS OS/2 1.1EE SDK beta ($3000!!!): PM, LM, 3Com 3+Open stuff?)

It is very confusing trying to decide which road (IBM or MS) to take,
guessing about the availability of future goodies, when I can't even get a
completely straight answer about what's in the box on the shelf.  This has
got to be a problem for other potential buyers/developers.  I'm sure, in my
case at least, it has made it harder for OS/2 to gain acceptance.

P.S.  I wanted Sun 386i's and SunOS 4.0, but Sun is having trouble squeezing
SunOS 4.0 into 4MB, and wants us to buy machines that are that much more
astronomically expensive, when the absolutely cheapest thing they planned to
sell was almost out of my budgetary reach.  Suggesting that I double my
expenditure to get delivery within a year is LUDICROUS!  I cannot deal with
Sun; I need virtual memory, among other things; I'm stuck with PCs.
OS/2 it is.  Please!  Save your other suggestions: the decision has been made.
The order of the day is to make the best of a bad job.  A newsgroup would
help.

Jim Hickstein, jxh@cup.portal.com
VSAT Systems, Inc.
San Jose, CA