[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HELP ME! EGA Screen is dead!

yjk@june.cs.washington.edu (YongJae Kim) (09/27/88)

After a friend of mine tried to use "history" (something like
history in *NIX), his MS WORD did not work at all.  The symptom is:

	No screen activity after loading WORD.  WORD seems to work
	without displaying anything to the screen. We tried to
	<esc>Q to exit the program and it worked.  The screen
	showed us the DOS prompt.  However whenever we load
	MS WORD 4.0, We could not see the usual cursor,
	nor any characters displayed. (i.e. the screen is blacked out).
	But after we loaded SideKick in the middle of WORD,
	only left border line and the characters typed can appear
	with the cursor.  When we exit WORD, the screen
	seemed to be resotred to original setting, but
	reloading WORD brought us to what we left.
	The possible suspect is the TSR	program, HISTORY. (??)
	We rebooted the system to fix this problem with
	no luck.  Can anybody help us?

Any comment/help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

yjk@june.cs.washington.edu

spolsky-joel@CS.YALE.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (09/28/88)

In article <5846@june.cs.washington.edu> yjk@june.cs.washington.edu (YongJae Kim) writes:

>After a friend of mine tried to use "history" (something like
>history in *NIX), his MS WORD did not work at all.  The symptom is:

Try using CED instead for history substitution. I use CED and it gets
along fine with MS WORD.

|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | arpa:   spolsky@yale.edu   voicenet: 203-436-1483 |
These opinions are mine. I do not represent Yale University in any way.