[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Novell Netware.

paul@aucs.UUCP (04/30/87)

We are looking into installing a network using Novell's Advanced Netware?
What we would like to know is if there is any way to create user accounts
from information stored in a file.  SYSCON is nice, but you must manually
insert every user.  In a student environment, it is often necessary to
insert 200 or more users at one time, and an automated process would be
nice.  Similar ideas could also be applied to mass deletion of accounts.

Anybody with any ideas please send suggestions to the address below.  Thanks.

UUCP:      {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
BITNET:    {Paul|phs}@Acadia
Internet:  {Paul|phs}%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
PHONEnet:  (902) 542-2201x587

srk@actnyc.UUCP (Shalom Krischer) (02/02/88)

A while back I posted a question about Novell Netware, and promised to
post the results when they come in.  Since I haven't heard anything
lately, I would like to thank those who responded, and folloing this
is my original question, and the responses.  Thanks again.

Some time ago I remember seeing a lot of dicussion about the Novell
networking product.  At the time I did not think much about it, since
I am more involved in the Mainframe and Mini world, but recently a
friend asked me if I could find out about it (or a better way of
networking 4 or 5 IBM AT's together).  Please E-mail to me, and I
will post the results if there is any interest.  Thanks...

Date: Sat, 02 Jan 88 14:59:42 -0600
From: Robby Kates <uwvax!uwmcsd1!marque!ddsw1!spl1!eiibank!robby@uunet.UUCP>

  We have Novell up and running connecting a Compact 386, a Compact diskless
286, 2 IBM ATs, an IBM XT, and an IBM 3270.  We use it to run the Solomon
accounting package.  The machines are in close proximity and hooked together
with Ethernet.  It seems to work pretty well, and the file system protection
is effective.  If you have some specific questions, I'd be glad to answer if I
can.

-Robby

Robby Kates
...ihnp4!eiibank!robby                 Beatrice Corporate Headquarters, Chicago
"...and a lover who looks straaaaangly, like Time the Avenga..." -CH-
#include <disclaimer.h>

I have worked with Novell in two forms. At my last job we had a Novell
net and the job before that we had Novell's Netware running on a box
from TeleVideo.

Both served their purpose. TeleVideo's box is called the Personal Mini or PM.
It was pretty much the same as Novell's except it came standard with a tape
drive. I can not remember prices and things like that.

At my last job we used it for program development. It worked well for that
allowing us to do MSDOS development on one set of source files. I have also
seen it work with applications like business stuff. This can work nicely also.
The biggest complaint is that it is slow. For development we would still use
a hard disk on our PC's and do compiling from there to help speed things up.
For development I would recommend a maxed-out system. For the applications
I have seen there isn't usually a speed problem.

Netware supports mini/mainframe things like logins, accounts, user groups,
file-directory-user priveleges, and mail. It also will allow spooling to
a system printer connected to the file server box.

For more information you can contact Steve Schuerman at OCLC. He should be able
to help you more. He is at: sppy00!sjs@ohio-state.

Sam Moore
sam@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 88 20:53:46 -0500 (EST)
From: "Johnny J. Chin" <andrew.cmu.edu!jc58+@uunet.UUCP>
To: INFO-IBMPC@a.ISI.EDU, srk@actnyc.UUCP (Shalom Krischer)
Subject: Re: Novell Netware Information Request

In my opinion and the opinion of my fellow employees, we decided that if
you are using Novell's Netware, you should either go with:

     ArcNet ("Novell's Baby")
or   Ethernet (the fastest network out)

If you use ArcNet, use Novell's boards, they are more reliable.

On the other hand, if you use Ethernet, DO NOT use Novell's Ethernet NE-1000!
Instead use the Micom Ethernet Plus for the file server and
Western Digital's EtherCard Plus for the work stations.
Johnny J. Chin
Technical Supervisor of Micro Computer Systems
(currently attending Carnegie Mellon Univ.)

mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM (Marc Guyott) (09/29/88)

In article <554@flyer.apctrc.UUCP> you write:
>Tulsa, Oklahoma
>Is there some general philosophy regarding Netware vs. DOS?  Can anyone
>point me in the direction of some good documentation on Novell's approach
>to life?  The manuals which came with the Netware are really designed only
>for administering and using the system at a user level?  Thanks in advance...

You might consider purchasing the Novell API references (two volumes) for
$25.00 each.  Netware and DOS are like oil and water.  Netware formats the
harddisk on the server using it's own format and it is very different from
DOS.  DOS is allowed to run on the file server as a guest operating system.
My guess is that the Norton Utilities by pass the DOS calls and go right to
the harddisk this would cause Norton to see things that it did not understand.

                                                Marc
----
       ... I never saw the morning until I stayed up all night ...
                               Tom Waits

Marc Guyott                                         mguyott@mirror.TMC.COM
{mit-eddie, pyramid, harvard!wjh12, xait, datacube}!mirror!mguyott
Mirror Systems	Cambridge, MA  02140                617/661-0777