[comp.sys.ibm.pc] hard disk going bad

u2zj@vax5.CCS.CORNELL.EDU (09/24/88)

Will a low level format be likely to help a fixed disk that is going bad?
I have a Seagate st251 (40 Mb) disk that has recently begun to sour.
(20 bad clusters in the last 2 weeks).  My warranty runs out Oct 20.
The company says they will "refurbish" it if I send it to them.  Is
refurbishing in my case (since the disk is readable) just re-formatting?

Thanks for any advice.

mvolo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (09/25/88)

You certainly should try low lvel reformatting (after backing up).
The bac sectors might not realybe bad -just head/track mis-align-
ment, which can happ over tim.  Algh I have nt used SpinRite,
many net members have testified that they can low level reformat on
th fly, without losing dat.  I did have an ST22"refurbished
by Everex -they sent me an older drive which workd but had
112k of bad secto!

Michael R. Volow                   919 286 0411, page beeper #550
Dept. of Psychiatry                mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP
Durham Vet Admin Medical Center
Durham, N.C. 27705

jborza%burgundy@Sun.COM (Jim_Borza) (09/26/88)

In article <16941@vax5.CCS.CORNELL.EDU>, u2zj@vax5.CCS.CORNELL.EDU writes:

> Will a low level format be likely to help a fixed disk that is going bad?
> I have a Seagate st251 (40 Mb) disk that has recently begun to sour.
> (20 bad clusters in the last 2 weeks).  My warranty runs out Oct 20.
> The company says they will "refurbish" it if I send it to them.  Is
> refurbishing in my case (since the disk is readable) just re-formatting?

If Seagate says they'll look at it, get it to them!  Whether they refurb-
ish it or whatever, they still owe you a working disk.  Apparently they
have all but certified you have a warranty claim - don't blow it.  At the
very least they'll run a surface check and clean it up!  A bargain!

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (09/29/88)

In article <16941@vax5.CCS.CORNELL.EDU> u2zj@vax5.CCS.CORNELL.EDU writes:
}Will a low level format be likely to help a fixed disk that is going bad?
}I have a Seagate st251 (40 Mb) disk that has recently begun to sour.
}(20 bad clusters in the last 2 weeks).  My warranty runs out Oct 20.
}The company says they will "refurbish" it if I send it to them.  Is
}refurbishing in my case (since the disk is readable) just re-formatting?

I've heard of at least one computer virus that hides on a fixed disk by
marking sectors bad and copying itself into them.  If you can examine the
contents of the bad sectors with a disk editor that might reveal or
eliminate a virus as the source of your problem.

If it is a virus, it's vector is probably still lurking around your
installation somewhere.  A low-level format will probably clear it off the
disk, but you could be re-infected.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum