[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Logitech Mouse and DESQview

spectre@cisunx.UUCP (Robert Sillett) (09/28/88)

According to the DESQview manual for version 2.01, a Logitech mouse
can be used without a driver (MOUSE.COM).  However, I can't seem to
get the mouse to work on the "Logitech" setting.  Is anyone familiar
with this problem?

My setup:

  Tandy 1000 SX with 30 MB hard drive
  DESQview 2.01
  Logitech HiREZ mouse, bus version (using COM2's IRQ).

Thanks in advance.

Robert L. Sillett, Jr.                      ...!pitt!cisunx!spectre
University of Pittsburgh                    spectre@pittvms.BITNET
--

indra@amdcad.AMD.COM (Indra Singhal) (09/29/88)

In article <12827@cisunx.UUCP> spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Robert Sillett) writes:

>According to the DESQview manual for version 2.01, a Logitech mouse
>can be used without a driver (MOUSE.COM).  However, I can't seem to
>get the mouse to work on the "Logitech" setting.  Is anyone familiar
>with this problem?

I have a Logitech Mouse (not the HiRez) and have configured it in
DV as Number 3 on the Mouse menu in SETUP DesqView running through
Com2. No changes to IRQs or anything else. It works like a champ.
In fact, Applications such as Autocad, Ventura PUblisher, etc all
recognize the mouse and talk to it.

On the other hand, when I used the driver, I would get retransmits
on background data transfers for each click of the mouse. Ever since
I used the 'No. 3' setting I have not seen that problem.

PS: My com2 is on a separate I/O card.
--
Indra K. Singhal                      |  You don't get to vote on the  |
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra  |                    way it is,  |

reese@pdnag1.uucp (0000-Don Reese(0000)) (09/29/88)

In article <12827@cisunx.UUCP> spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Robert Sillett) writes:

>According to the DESQview manual for version 2.01, a Logitech mouse
>can be used without a driver (MOUSE.COM).  However, I can't seem to
>get the mouse to work on the "Logitech" setting.  Is anyone familiar
>with this problem?

I use DESQview 2.01 with a Logitech Serial Mouse with or without the
mouse driver without problem, but I have run into problems using the
mouse without the driver with programs that need the mouse driver.  The
problem is that if DESQview is configured to use the mouse without the
driver, then the driver is loaded in order to use some other program that
needs the driver (ALA Mahjongg Game), then DESQview loses the use of the
mouse after that even if the window with the driver is closed.  I have found
that I don't use the mouse with DESQview (keyboard interface is faster for
me) but use of the mouse.sys driver allows both DESQview and other programs
to use the mouse fine.
--
Don Reese             reese@pdn.UUCP         | Eney Meeny, Jelly Beanie,
Paradyne Corporation  uunet!pdn!reese        | the spirits are about to

ins_agwa@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gunther Wil Anderson) (09/30/88)

In article <12827@cisunx.UUCP> spectre@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Robert Sillett) writes:
>According to the DESQview manual for version 2.01, a Logitech mouse
>can be used without a driver (MOUSE.COM).  However, I can't seem to
>get the mouse to work on the "Logitech" setting.  Is anyone familiar
>with this problem?

Using a Leading Edge Model M, and a normal Logitech Bus Mouse, I have
the same problem.  The mouse is simply not recognized.  Using the
MOUSE.COM or the MOUSE.SYS drivers, however, it is easily able to be
recognized as a Microsoft compatible mouse.

On a related note, the tutorial for CodeView states that codeview will
not guarantee that it will work with a non Microsoft Mouse on some
compatibles.  True to it's word, it doesn't.

					Gunther Anderson
					ins_agwa@jhunix.bitnet