[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Anyone infected by "Brain" virus?

zermelo@eddie.MIT.EDU (L Richard Duffy) (09/22/88)

A friend just called me to relate a distressing story.  He was reading
the current (Sept. 19, I think) issue of _Time_, specifically an article
about a Pakistani company called Brain Computer Services, or something
similar.  This company has apparently planted some viruses in pirated
software which has wide circulation, apparently capable of wreaking
great data devastation.  Well, later that afternoon my friend noticed
that the volume label on one of his floppies at work had been somehow
changed to "(c) Brain", and he also found a message giving the phone
number in Pakistan for this company (which I gather will decontaminate
your software for a fee).

The friend asked me for advice; he and his colleagues have enormous
amounts of pirated stuff which they use with their extensive databases,
etc.  Obviously he's afraid that data might start evaporating or
changing sometime soon, and wants any and all advice.  Since I've
never dealt with a virus myself, I thought I'd broadcast a general
request for such advice, especially if any of you have experienced
this particular virus.  By the way, all the equipment he has is
IBM PCs and clones.

Please e-mail any useful information (rather than posting here).
Thanks a lot.
Internet:  zermelo@eddie.mit.edu
UUCP:      {ihnp4 | allegra | gatech | decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!zermelo
BITNET:    zermelo%eddie@mitvma.bitnet
VoiceNet:  617-253-4045 (or -6668)

krause@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (09/22/88)

>/* ---------- "Anyone infected by "Brain" virus?" ---------- */
>The friend asked me for advice; he and his colleagues have enormous
>amounts of pirated stuff which they use with their extensive databases,
>etc.  Obviously he's afraid that data might start evaporating or
>changing sometime soon, and wants any and all advice.  Since I've
>Internet:  zermelo@eddie.mit.edu

	Somehow I don't feel sorry for your friend.  He wants advice?
Tell him to go out and buy legal copies of his software.  Sheesh.
					James Krause

	  UUCP:	 	{ihnp4,uunet,convex}!uiucuxc!uicsrd!krause
	  ARPANET: 	krause%uicsrd@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
	  CSNET:	krause%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet
	  BITNET:	krause@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu

animaldb@neabbs.UUCP (DRIES BESSELS) (09/23/88)

Hello Richard,
I read an article just yesterday about this brain virus. It was
written by an englishman who runs a data recovery laboratory.
You might want to contact him (he lives/works in England)
his address and phone (also BBS) is:

Dr Alan Solomon
31, Holloway Lane
Amersham
Bucks HP6 6DJ

or phone 0494 728095

BBS 0494 724946

I will try to post the complete article from him about the brain virus
afterwards.
Good Luck
Dries Bessels
Amsterdam, Holland

animaldb@neabbs.UUCP (DRIES BESSELS) (09/23/88)

Hello Richard,
here is part of the article. The rest was about the question if this
virus could infect a DEC computer. Not really usefull in this context
so I chose only the description of the virus
QOUTE
The Brain virus does neither of these.  Instead, it attaches itself to
the boot sector of the diskette, and patches the boot process to
execute the virus code.  But the virus is too big for the boot sector,
so the body of the virus is stored further down the diskette.  To
avoid detection, it isn't stored as a file;  instead it is stored as
3K of bad sectors.  If you know DOS, this is a real giveaway, as a
diskette with bad sectors will have a minimum of 5K bad.  When DOS
finds a bad sector on formatting the diskette, it marks the whole
track as bad.

If you boot from an infected diskette, you get an infected computer.
If you have an infected computer, then any diskette that you put in
drive A becomes infected, simply by accessing the diskette.  Even a
simple DIR will infect the diskette, or even logging on to the drive
if you have $P$G in your prompt.

If you then look at the boot sector of the infected diskette using
Norton, PC Tools or any other simple disk sector editor, you'll see a
normal boot sector.  That is because the virus intercepts the attempt
to read the boot sector, and feeds back a copy of the original boot
sector which it has stored in its body.  It also uses this original
boot sector to complete the boot process, after it has installed
itself.

The big question is what does it do when it detonates.  The answer is
that it doesn't really matter, because clever hackers will already be
modifying it, and anyway it isn't the only virus around.  The safest
thing is to assume the worst.  This is a total corruption of all
data and backups, which could be accomplished by simply writing a byte
of zero at random intervals to a random location on the disk.  By the
time the problem is discovered, the corrupted data will have
propagated over all the backups.

Dr Alan Solomon
31, Holloway Lane
Amersham
Bucks HP6 6DJ
or phone 0494 728095
BBS 0494 724946

UNQOUTE

PLease contact this guy for more info, think he is one of the best
people to consult on this. Let me know what happens...
Agan, good luck,
dries bessels
Amsterdam, Holland

fsg@holos0.UUCP (Frank Glass) (09/23/88)

In article <10111@eddie.MIT.EDU>, zermelo@eddie.MIT.EDU (L Richard Duffy)
writes:

> a Pakistani company ...has apparently planted some viruses in pirated
> software which has wide circulation, ...
>
> [a] friend asked me for advice; he and his colleagues have enormous
> amounts of pirated stuff which they use with their extensive databases,
> etc.  Obviously he's afraid ...

	Fascinating.  A _computer_ virus which selects users of pirated software.
A vigilante virus!  As desirable as this may seem (1/2 smile), it's probably
a hoax.

> Please e-mail...

	_True_ information (as opposed to rumors) on issues such as viruses
SHOULD be posted to the net, provided that such postings do not become
redundant.
--
Frank Glass
Holos Software, Inc.

DOHC@TUCCVM.BITNET (Bob Roberds) (09/26/88)

>>     Fascinating.  A _computer_ virus which selects users of pirated software
>>
>>.
>>
>A vigilante virus!  As desirable as this may seem (1/2 smile), it's probably
>
>a hoax.

Fascist pig (1/16 smile)!  I'm a software author AND a pirate and DAMN
PROUD OF IT!

steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) (09/26/88)

in article <1380@holos0.UUCP>, fsg@holos0.UUCP (Frank Glass) says:

> 	Fascinating.  A _computer_ virus which selects users of pirated software.
> A vigilante virus!  As desirable as this may seem (1/2 smile), it's probably
> a hoax.

  There was an article this last week in either Time or US News
  about computer viruses.  They described the Pakistani virus.  Seems
  these two brothers started copying commercial software and selling
  it real cheap.  Seems its not illegal in Pakistan.  But copies that
  they sold to tourists they included a virus, justifying it by saying
  that it was illegal in other countries so therefore these tourists
  were pirateersfor buying cloned software.  Kind of convoluted
  logic there...

  They also mentioned the "Peace" virus which showed up on Mac's
  a couple months ago.

--
 Seems like just yesterday.....
 {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!dad!steve

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (09/26/88)

In article <10111@eddie.MIT.EDU> zermelo@eddie.MIT.EDU (L Richard Duffy) writes:
 >....  Well, later that afternoon my friend noticed
 >that the volume label on one of his floppies at work had been somehow
 >changed to "(c) Brain", and he also found a message giving the phone
 >number in Pakistan for this company (which I gather will decontaminate
 >your software for a fee).
 >
 >The friend asked me for advice; he and his colleagues have enormous
 >amounts of pirated stuff which they use with their extensive databases,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >etc.  Obviously he's afraid that data might start evaporating or
 >changing sometime soon, and wants any and all advice.

Hey!  At last!  A virus that appears to have done the world some good -
evaporate away dear data!

(no...no smiley face)

--
Ray Dunn.                      |   UUCP: ..!philabs!micomvax!ray
Philips Electronics Ltd.       |   TEL : (514) 744-8200   Ext: 2347

scott@hpcvca.HP.COM (Scott Linn) (09/28/88)

/ hpcvca:comp.sys.ibm.pc / animaldb@neabbs.UUCP (DRIES BESSELS) / 12:44 pm  Sep 22, 1988 /
+Hello Richard,
+I read an article just yesterday about this brain virus. It was
+written by an englishman who runs a data recovery laboratory.
+You might want to contact him (he lives/works in England)
+his address and phone (also BBS) is:

+Dries Bessels
+Amsterdam, Holland
----------

Maybe you should check the Sept. 25 issue of Time Magazine.  There is an
article on viruses, and it lists the authors of the Brain virus to be
two Pakistani brothers.

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (09/28/88)

}
}	Somehow I don't feel sorry for your friend.  He wants advice?
}Tell him to go out and buy legal copies of his software.  Sheesh.

This week's issue of _Time_ magazine has computer viruses (viri?) as its
cover story.  The article goes into some detail about the Brain virus, aka
the Pakistani Virus.

It seems it was invented by a couple of Pakistani computer store owners to
punish _American_ software pirates.  They were selling pirated software
our of their shop in Lahore to both Pakistanis and Americans, but only the
Americans got the infected versions.  Their reasoning:  Pakistani
copyright law doesn't protect computer software, so their Pakistani
customers weren't breaking the law, but the American tourists and students
were pirates and had to be punished.

The virus will eventually destroy the data on your friend's disk.  Use a
disk editor to salvage what you can before its too late.  I hope your
friend learns a lesson about pirating.  Too bad the Pakistanis won't learn
it too.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

gmat@wuibc.UUCP (Gregory Martin Amaya Tormo) (09/29/88)

In article <3644@dad.UUCP> steve@dad.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
>in article <1380@holos0.UUCP>, fsg@holos0.UUCP (Frank Glass) says:
>>
>> 	Fascinating. A computer virus which selects users of pirated software.
>> A vigilante virus!  As desirable as this may seem (1/2 smile), it's probably
>> a hoax.

	I DO PROTEST!!!!!  The hardest hit from the very real virus are
research institutions and educational systems from Israel to the US.
Contrary to what appears to be your belief, the majority of software found
on BBSs are public domain, the result of hard work by many ametuer
programmers whose utilities you might even be using.  The old image of the
"hacker" running around trading stolen and illegally copyrighted software
is a stereotype that could set PC hobbiests back years if leaked from this
net.
	First, All major software manufacturers no longer copy protect
their software, a sign that they do not perceive software piracy as the
major threat it used to be.  Second, the rapid expansion of Fidonet and
fido compatible BBSs (over 4000 now) have set high standards in how BBSs
are operated and what kind of software is distributed.  So even though you
only gave your comment half a smile, I hope you will retract it on behalf
of all the programmers and users.  Yes, some people still pirate software,
but the majority of us public domain collectors are honest. Take a second
look.

		David Deitch, Computer Connection
		dwd0238@wucec1.wustl.bitnet
		Fido 1:100/22

del@Data-IO.COM (Erik Lindberg) (10/02/88)

In article <295@wuibc.UUCP> dwd0238@wucec1.wustl.bitnet (David Deitch) writes:

>	First, All major software manufacturers no longer copy protect
>their software, a sign that they do not perceive software piracy as the
>major threat it used to be.  Second, the rapid expansion of Fidonet and
>
>		David Deitch, Computer Connection
>		dwd0238@wucec1.wustl.bitnet
>		Fido 1:100/22

Actually, it was my distinct impression that the decision to drop copy
protection was primarily motivated by the outrage and protests of
legitimate, paying customers over the unreliability and difficulty of
using copy protected software. Not to mention a gradual realization that
the "code breakers" had become so sophisticated as to make copy protection
pointless on any program popular enough to be worth pirating. I doubt if
software piracy has diminished a whole lot, if not increased...

--
del (Erik Lindberg)
uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!del