[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Where to get Kermit

W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/23/88)

Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On
the Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU,
a VAX 8700 running UNIX (Ultrix), IP host number is 128.59.40.130.
Login as user ANONYMOUS (any password) and GET the desired files.
The Kermit files are in directories kermit/a, kermit/b, kermit/c,
kermit/d, and kermit/e.  You can also get Kermit files over BITNET/EARN;
to get started send a message with text HELP to KERMSRV, the Kermit
file server, at host CUVMA.  For detailed instructions, read the file
k1/aanetw.hlp (AANETW HLP on KERMSRV).  To order by mail, request a
complete list of Kermit versions and an order form from Kermit
Distribution, Columbia University Center for Computing Activities,
612 West 115th Street, New York, NY 10025 USA.

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M and MSDOS archives at SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.0.0.74]
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (09/25/88)

In article <KPETERSEN.12432665553.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On
>the Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU,

Has the machine changed?  Last time I pulled a kermit (about a
month ago), the machine was so heavily loaded (or under powered)
that it keep timing out.  Using the binary option diddled files.

w8sdz@smoke.ARPA (Keith B. Petersen ) (09/25/88)

In article <14678@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
>In article <KPETERSEN.12432665553.BABYL@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>>Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On
>>the Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU,
>
>Has the machine changed?  Last time I pulled a kermit (about a
>month ago), the machine was so heavily loaded (or under powered)
>that it keep timing out.  Using the binary option diddled files.

Yes, it's a new host.  They're shutting down the old TOP-20 system at
CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU in a few weeks and the whole Kermit distribution
has been moved to CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, a Unix host.  Hopefully this
will speed things up for FTP jobs.  Don't forget, most files in the
Kermit distribution are ASCII, not binary.
--

marc@rna.UUCP (Marc Johnson) (09/29/88)

}
}Has the machine changed?  Last time I pulled a kermit (about a
}month ago), the machine was so heavily loaded (or under powered)
}that it keep timing out.  Using the binary option diddled files.

Yes, the Columbia machine cu20b has been replaced by others.  I don't know
about performance.

= Marc Johnson			  BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet           =
= Rockefeller U. Neurobiology     UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc                 =
= New York City      (129.85.2.1) INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu   =

jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris) (09/30/88)

In a recent article W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On
>the Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU,

Something to remember is that (like Keith's own SIMTEL20 system) the
anonymous FTP at Columbia is there as a byproduct of the system's main
purpose, and that excessive traffic -- especially during normal business
hours -- is strongly discouraged.  (Yes, there are emergencies, but
ones which require huge FTP'ing shouldn't be that frequent.)  Like any guest,
anonymous FTP'ers may be abruptly evicted from a system if the burden
on the normal users becomes too great.

The KERMIT code can frequently be found elsewhere.  I've uploaded the
executables and documentation to the VMSHARE and PCSHARE systems; NetLanders
with contacts in computer centers which are members of the SHARE user group
may find a that the PC guru in the computer center has already downloaded
the new code.  It would be a help to everybody involved if users who do
get a copy of the new Kermit would pass it around; the files are rather
large and thus consume a significant amount of bandwidth when they are
downloaded.  The documentation is over 300K; I've constructed a "starter
kit" of the primary files using PKARC (excuse me, PKPAC) which is still 116K
bytes.

Joe Morris

cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (10/03/88)

From article <40414@linus.UUCP>, by jcmorris@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Joseph C. Morris):
[ ... how to ftp ... ]
I got my copy of kermit from a Mail Order House.  It doesn't include source,
and I haven't checked with them on the most recent version ( mine is 2.29).
Since I am on a UNIX system, I can't figure out how to ftp from columbia
or Simtel, anyway.  ( I do use ftp with hosts that I have access to.)
The Mail Order that I used is Public Brand Software, 800-IBM-DISK.
They charge $5 per diskette, plus $5 per order.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - cdold@starfish.Convergent.COM		(408) 435-5274