[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PCs LIMITED AT vs MOUSE.COM vs MOUSE.SYS

shap@bunker.UUCP (Joseph D. Shapiro) (09/27/88)

I own a PCs Limited AT, the original, no speed switch, case just like
an IBM AT.

In general I have no problems with this machine, but I recently ran
across one.

I can't get a mouse to work via a mouse driver.  I CAN get MS windows
to work, but windows knows about the mouse directly, not via mouse.com
or mouse.sys.

I have tried a TANDY serial mouse, a MS serial mouse, and a MS bus
mouse, all with the same results:  windows OK, other software
(Multiplan, PC-Paintbrush, etc) NG.

I suspect a bios incompatability.  Is it possible to correct this with
a TSR or something?  Has anyone got any experience in this area?  I
have called Dell, they are real good at taking my phone number down,
but not at all good about using it.

Thanks in advance.
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Joe Shapiro					"My other car is a turbo...

tim@attdso.ATT.COM (Tim J Ihde) (10/04/88)

In article <4133@bunker.UUCP> shap@clunker.UUCP (Joseph D. Shapiro) writes:
>I own a PCs Limited AT, the original, no speed switch, case just like
>an IBM AT.

>I can't get a mouse to work via a mouse driver.  I CAN get MS windows
>to work, but windows knows about the mouse directly, not via mouse.com
>or mouse.sys.

>I have tried a TANDY serial mouse, a MS serial mouse, and a MS bus
>mouse, all with the same results:  windows OK, other software
>(Multiplan, PC-Paintbrush, etc) NG.

>I suspect a bios incompatability.  Is it possible to correct this with
>a TSR or something?  Has anyone got any experience in this area?  I
>have called Dell, they are real good at taking my phone number down,
>but not at all good about using it.

>Joe Shapiro

Interesting . . . I've had a problem with my MS bus mouse and my PC's Limited
286-12 since I got the machine.  It's not very drastic, just strange.  Once
I've had the mouse driver loaded, I can't do a warm boot.  If one is attempted,
the machine hangs with a keyboard error 101 (I think, I don't have the machine
handy at the moment).  It's funny since the mouse works just fine, and I can
even remove the mouse TSR via the 'mark' and 'release' programs, but I still
can't reboot the machine.

Anyway, I had always just suspected a bios problem with the PC's Limited
w.r.t. mice.  Since it hasn't been a great hardship to cold boot the
machine when I use the mouse (not often), I've never tried to really nail
them down on this one.

I must say, I usually have gotten good response from their techs - maybe
now that they are on the net they can be contacted via e-mail?

--
Tim J Ihde				UUCP:	    att!attdso!tim
(201) 898-6687				INTERNET:   tim@attdso.att.com